Headset dustcover

Related:
Create New Tag

1/17/2016 4:21 PM

I have an integrated Fly headset, and today i noticed my dustcover for the bottom has separated from the bearing. Is this something i should be concerned about? My concern is the life of the bearing will be limited due to dirt and grime. Is there a way to re-fix the dust cover to the bearing without ruining the bearing? I thought about using the race that came with the headset in hopes that it will seal it up tight against the bearing. The only problem with that is i have an oddy r-32 fork, so having one race ontop of another might not be the best idea. I read in other threads about the possible danger of two races ontop of eachother. Should i give it a go or is the dust cover not something i should really be concerned about?

Photo

Photo

|

Refs: Josh_Ketcham, mykneeshurt (x2), Brian_Griffin, aaron.samuel.green

1/17/2016 4:35 PM

my friend rode his for months and months with it like that but if you can afford one it wont hurt

|

ride bikes, have fun

STRAIGHT OUTTA STRAYA

1/17/2016 6:52 PM

That just looks like the rubber seal, so pop it back in and it'll be fine

definitely pop it back in though otherwise dirt and shit will get in there

|

1/17/2016 9:43 PM

Just put it back on. If not I've rode bearings like that for months and they are still fine. But I recommend putting it back on so it doesn't get dirty or anything.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

1/17/2016 10:19 PM

Yeah give it a clean and push a bit of grease in, then push it back in

|

1/18/2016 1:47 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. It's an easy fix.

|

Refs: Josh_Ketcham, mykneeshurt (x2), Brian_Griffin, aaron.samuel.green

1/18/2016 4:19 PM

Cedrik Storm wrote:

Thanks for the responses guys. It's an easy fix.

You're welcome.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

1/19/2016 1:10 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Yeah give it a clean and push a bit of grease in, then push it back in

This.

I have some headset bearings that I got YEARS ago, still going strong.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura