Headset having a shitload of friction?

Related:
Create New Tag

5/27/2013 11:05 AM

I tightened my headset until i felt that change in tightness from fallout loose to just right. And when i move my bars side to side i feel slight friction. What should i do? You can almost hear it the friction going whoosh whoosh. What do?

|

I ride for my papou.
Cats got 9 lives I got four.

5/27/2013 11:08 AM

sounds like bad bearings to me.

|

Blair & Jasmin | Stella | Roxanna | Arianna v2 | Instagram: @Blakeyardigan

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

5/27/2013 11:10 AM

Brokenbmx wrote:

Are standard headset bearings bad?

|

I ride for my papou.

5/27/2013 11:11 AM

Illuminati

|

I seek progression, not perfection.

Refs:Beastassdickwink~Dk/oldschool908~TheLilozzy~jaypee23~Bstick~agfracing~MoyBoy5~RIDE a BIKE~wade5~Mattmuldoon@hotmail.com x2~jakebikes~ joe loves shadow~ diss diqq~ k1ng~fly for life x2~spikez5~four~jb07~mike duda~ DORbmx~ bobPA~superstarDK

5/27/2013 11:17 AM

Brokenbmx wrote:

SickDude wrote:

Any bearing can be bad or go bad. does your bike have unsealed cage bearings or integrated?

|

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

5/27/2013 11:22 AM

Brokenbmx wrote:

Any bearing can be bad or go bad. does your bike have unsealed cage bearings or integrated?

Ummm how would i check this out?

|

I ride for my papou.

5/27/2013 11:24 AM

SickDude wrote:

Brokenbmx wrote:

SickDude wrote:

-_- What frame do you have?

|

5/27/2013 11:27 AM

Shit load of grease usually works.

|

I do stuff and I'm not good at it.
I got refs

5/27/2013 11:32 AM

Brokenbmx wrote:

A 2011 mirraco axium. It has a standard headset if thats what your asking... You should make more of those how-tos

|

I ride for my papou.

5/27/2013 12:00 PM

SickDude wrote:

Brokenbmx wrote:

SickDude wrote:

A 2011 mirraco axium. It has a standard headset if thats what your asking... You should make more of those how-tos

i wish i had a bike with a standard headset to do one with. all my shits integrated or sealed road shit. its almost the same thing though just load the races with grease, install bearings, more grease, Tighten compression bolt ,then stem bolts.

|

5/27/2013 12:16 PM

I had exactly the same problem working on a bike today, what you need is a tiny little ring of metal under the headset cap. It just lifts the cap slightly off the head tube. Your headset dust cap is grinding on the head tube thus creating the tightness & grinding you're describing.

|

5/27/2013 1:23 PM

Topsey wrote:

I had exactly the same problem working on a bike today, what you need is a tiny little ring of metal under the headset cap. It just lifts the cap slightly off the head tube. Your headset dust cap is grinding on the head tube thus creating the tightness & grinding you're describing.

Where do i get this? And do you mean the fork bolt cap thing?

|

I ride for my papou.

5/27/2013 1:28 PM

Nope, not a lot of headsets come with them. NOT your compression bolt (Fork Bolt) If you go to a decent bike shop & explain the issue & that you need a washer or two to go under your headset dust cap they will more than likely for a couple whatever it is in America cents or whatever? They really shouldn't be a lot. Seriously over here IF a shop has them (Which the should) They will be like 10 pence or so per washer here.

|

5/27/2013 9:12 PM

Topsey wrote:

Nope, not a lot of headsets come with them. NOT your compression bolt (Fork Bolt) If you go to a decent bike shop & explain the issue & that you need a washer or two to go under your headset dust cap they will more than likely for a couple whatever it is in America cents or whatever? They really shouldn't be a lot. Seriously over here IF a shop has them (Which the should) They will be like 10 pence or so per washer here.

My lbs had no idea... Can you send me a link to a home depot item?

|

I ride for my papou.

5/27/2013 9:32 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/27/2013 9:33 PM

It looks just like headset spacers but is barely .4mm thick. But they are unsealed so they could just be taking a shit on you. Fsa pig headsets will replace your cups with cups to accept an integrated headset.

http://www.danscomp.com/products/301057/FSA_Pig_Headset_(Sealed).html

There's a link.

It'll replace the black things in this picture and instead of the bearings you see here, they will be integrated
Photo

For 45 bucks, your making your fork options better, you bike more maintainable, smoother, and it comes with a headset so your basically payin 20 for the cups and 25 for the bearings.

|

Refs:Beastassdickwink~Dk/oldschool908~TheLilozzy~jaypee23~Bstick~agfracing~MoyBoy5~RIDE a BIKE~wade5~Mattmuldoon@hotmail.com x2~jakebikes~ joe loves shadow~ diss diqq~ k1ng~fly for life x2~spikez5~four~jb07~mike duda~ DORbmx~ bobPA~superstarDK

5/27/2013 9:48 PM

future FBM wrote:

It looks just like headset spacers but is barely .4mm thick. But they are unsealed so they could just be taking a shit on you. Fsa pig headsets will replace your cups with cups to accept an integrated headset.

There's a link.

It'll replace the black things in this picture and instead of the bearings you see here, they will be integrated
Photo

For 45 bucks, your making your fork options better, you bike more maintainable, smoother, and it comes with a headset so your basically payin 20 for the cups and 25 for the bearings.

What size are headset spacers? I just ordered a fsa plastic in 1 1/8 is that alright?

|

I ride for my papou.

5/27/2013 9:53 PM

future FBM wrote:

There's a link.

Photo

SickDude wrote:

What size are headset spacers? I just ordered a fsa plastic in 1 1/8 is that alright?

You got the right size, but I don't think this is a spacer issue man. Do you have the top and bottom races in?

|

5/27/2013 9:57 PM

future FBM wrote:

You got the right size, but I don't think this is a spacer issue man. Do you have the top and bottom races in?

Im positive. I will ask the nigga at home depot for a itty bitty spacer in 1/8 to put between? The top cap of the headset and the bottom cap of the headset?

|

I ride for my papou.

5/27/2013 10:02 PM

SickDude wrote:

future FBM wrote:

SickDude wrote:

Im positive. I will ask the nigga at home depot for a itty bitty spacer in 1/8 to put between? The top cap of the headset and the bottom cap of the headset?

It's a peice that shims between the bearings and fork tube. You need those even In sealed

|

5/27/2013 10:03 PM

future FBM wrote:

It's a peice that shims between the bearings and fork tube. You need those even In sealed

Post a pic im lost lol

|

I ride for my papou.