Headset issue

Related:
Create New Tag

7/17/2015 12:09 AM

I bought my Fit wifi complete about a year ago now, the headset shat out at 8 months in. I went out and bought a new kink one and ive had it for a month now and when i turn my bars the headset creaks. greased it and everything cant seem to figure out whats wrong. ovalized headtube? always kept the headset tight

|

Bang Bang bmx

7/17/2015 1:09 AM

Idk i never understood that. I've never had this issue personally and I've had like 4 or 5 different headsets. But i have friends who have that problem with all their headsets. Maybe its just that you put it in wrong or something.

|

7/17/2015 1:13 AM

If everything is well greased and tighten there's no reason for it creaks, that's weird...

You can still try another headset, a brand new, or simply one of your friends just to see if it still creaks.

Then, if one headset is not creaking, buy a new one and it should work.

But if all the headsets you try creaks... your frame headtube is probably ovalised as you were saying, and it´s a bigger trouble...

|

7/17/2015 6:37 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/17/2015 6:39 AM

It COULD be a rubber dust seal creaking. Try getting a dry moly lube like bike aid and squirting it around the topcap.
Also, when/if you have it apart again, set the bearing into the headtube, and you will be able to see if it is ovalized (or if the bearing is toast) by looking down at it. The bearing should rest evenly in the headtube.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/17/2015 7:24 AM

You have a kind of spacer on your forks? The one that is cut (that has a slit in it) and that is against the bearings, under the dust cap and spacers?

The slit is there to accommodate varying thicknesses in all existing forks.

Now, when you tighten your headset, the force from the preload bolt keeps this thing in place. When you turn your bars, pressure wants it to move: the click is the result.

Simply grease the inside of this spacer/washer and your problems are gone. Make sure you put the head back PROPERLY: the fork must be angled so that everything drops down easily and stays in place. It is tempting to just tighten the bolt and let it take care of the slack. NO! Take time to put it in correctly.

If the clicking still persists, then you have another problem: an ovalised head tube may be the culprit then.

Cheerio.

|

It doesn't matter where a train goes. It's decidin' to get on that does.