Headset issues.

Related:
Create New Tag

3/3/2015 1:07 AM

Ever since about half a year ago, my top bearing race started seizing up. Usually, I'd be able to slip it off and on quite easily. I started having to hammer out my forks and doing that, I feel that the bearing does take some unnecessary force. I actually broke a bearing over the weekend trying to take apart my spare bike. I did see the problem and tried to put grease there, but all it does is occasionally shift the race around in the headset, which is normal. I usually line up the slit in the race exactly aligned and usually when I take apart my headset, it stays the same due to me not running grease back then. But honestly, I have no idea what the issue is. Couldn't possibly be rust cause I've been running the same headset for almost 4 years now and started switching headset races after I kinda de-formed the first one.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

3/3/2015 4:44 AM

This would be a good time for new head set. 4 yrs on a head set With out grease at times.

|

F¬ Bom 5403692331

3/3/2015 4:55 AM

That's why I change my bearings yearly regardless of issues. Cheap insurance and peace of mind.

|

Da Laird

unfuckwithable ill

Refs-brokenbmx, MaximusBikes, Brian_Griffin, Colonydirt94, Aebasher

3/3/2015 7:27 AM

Brian_Griffin wrote:

This would be a good time for new head set. 4 yrs on a head set With out grease at times.

mine is 6 years old without trouble. smile

But seriously, if you have bearing cups that press in, replace the whole works. If you have integrated, replace the whole works.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/3/2015 7:38 AM

Just get a new headset and if it is a standard one, upgrade to a sealed one.

And in case you wanna know THE BEST headset, Odyssey or Tree is great. I know there aren't HUGE differences or anything, but from my experience, the cheap Rant ones and other ones aren't as good. The higher quality bearings Tree and Odyssey use seem to be better and the headset caps don't fuck up like others i have had do.

*insert someone calling me dumb for thinking a headset can be better than another.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

3/3/2015 7:46 AM

MaximusBikes wrote:

Just get a new headset and if it is a standard one, upgrade to a sealed one.

And in case you wanna know THE BEST headset, ...more

Agreed but I have to give the nod to tree. I just got the new v2 and it is the smoothest I have ever used.

|

Da Laird

unfuckwithable ill

Refs-brokenbmx, MaximusBikes, Brian_Griffin, Colonydirt94, Aebasher

3/3/2015 9:44 PM

But really, it's just the headset races. I've tried 3 different sets of bearings and top bearing races, and on 2 different frames as well.. No success.. I do use grease.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke