Headset problem (resolved)

Related:
Create New Tag

3/13/2015 1:46 PM

I bought the mechanik sti headset to convert my bike from standard to integrated. I already have forks for an integrated headset but when I installed it the headset is wiggly and when I tighten the top cap it doesn't spin worth a shit. I pressed the cups in completely. Are new bearings supposed to be a little sluggish? What am I doing wrong?

|

3/13/2015 2:15 PM

Is there any steer tube sticking up in the stem? If there is, add a spacer.

Not all headsets stack to the same height and it may be a factor. What frame are you running? What fork?

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/13/2015 2:40 PM

Im running a cult cc00 frame and Im not sure of the forks it uses a 10mm fork bolt is all I know about them lol they come off a bike that I bought awhile back but Im running just enough spacers to keep the steerer tube from coming out above the stem. But I think the bearings may be the problem when I spin them outside the frame they feel tight. Im on a budget and am trying to work with what I got so I may try new bearings if I cant find any other problem.

|

3/13/2015 2:41 PM

Photo

|

3/13/2015 2:49 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/13/2015 3:09 PM

Its fixed I took out the cups, realized that the cups are two different sizes and reinstalled them correctly and its spinning freely and smoothly. Thanks Dave for answering I would have never realized the cups were two different sizes until you said that about the spacers soon and I looked at my spacers I saw the problem.

|