Headset problem

Related:
Create New Tag

3/26/2020 8:01 PM

Is this to much space ? If so is it ok to take my headset cap off? Photo

|

3/26/2020 8:09 PM

Yeah, bit too much dead space. Take spacers out, if you can. It’s not entirely a good idea to run without a compression cap either.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

3/26/2020 8:20 PM

readybmxer wrote:

Yeah, bit too much dead space. Take spacers out, if you can. It’s not entirely a good idea to run without a compression cap either.

I have no spacers I guess I’ll have to get new forks

|

3/26/2020 8:33 PM

you could run then i would suggest sanding the bearing cap down a bit or just seeing if u can run those forks.

|

3/26/2020 8:33 PM

AS is

|

3/26/2020 8:35 PM

BmxInTheUsa wrote:

you could run then i would suggest sanding the bearing cap down a bit or just seeing if u can run those forks.

So the space won’t be a problem ?

|

3/26/2020 8:41 PM

If the top pinch bolt fully laps onto the fork tube, it's "probably" ok. If the fork is cut below the top pinch bolt, I wouldn't run it.If in doubt, get a new fork.

|

Remember when you could ride all day and not be sore for a week?

3/26/2020 8:55 PM

just try them before u get new forks just don't give up unless all else fails. also they wont work i would recommend putting on a smaller headset dust cap.

|

3/26/2020 8:56 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/26/2020 10:55 PM

BmxInTheUsa wrote:

just try them before u get new forks just don't give up unless all else fails. also they wont work i would recommend putting on a smaller headset dust cap.

I just ordered a thinner one the stranger ballast one so hopefully that works I’m sanding it down now so hopefully that works

|

3/27/2020 7:54 AM

ok out of curiosity what kind of dust cap do u have right now?

|

3/27/2020 8:06 AM

Also the stranger ballast headset should give you quite a bit more room for your fork steerer tube to go into the stem as every molimeter counts.I have had the same problem but only i had spacers and if i had on the spacer it was to low in the stem to run if i removed it it was a little higher than what you have in your pics so i decided it was good enough as long a it works but my friend has been in your shoes and a new headset cap that is way smaller should solve your problem as depending on the cap you have right now it could potentially give you another half inch of steerer tube in the stem.

|

3/27/2020 8:08 AM

BmxInTheUsa wrote:

ok out of curiosity what kind of dust cap do u have right now?

I have the odyssey pro dust cap

|

3/27/2020 8:09 AM

BmxInTheUsa wrote:

Also the stranger ballast headset should give you quite a bit more room for your fork steerer tube to go into the stem as every molimeter counts.I have had the same problem but only i had spacers and if i had on the spacer it was to low in the stem to run if i removed it it was a little higher than what you have in your pics so i decided it was good enough as long a it works but my friend has been in your shoes and a new headset cap that is way smaller should solve your problem as depending on the cap you have right now it could potentially give you another half inch of steerer tube in the stem.

Hopefully that works so I won’t order forks until I know I’m out of options

|

3/27/2020 8:25 AM

which one there appears to be two types?

|

3/27/2020 8:38 AM

which one do you have? Photo
or this one Photo

|

3/27/2020 8:44 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/27/2020 8:49 AM

The pic makes me think it's the second one. There is lettering just like the second picture, in his picture. Either way it seems kind of odd to me. The second one looks like there is a spacer on top. My Eastern looks a bit like that but it's 2 pieces. And yeah, somehow cutting down or sanding down the top of that second one seems like it would work

Although that's gotta be like mine. Those are all separate pieces eh? If all you have is the flat piece on the bottom of that, then it seems like the forks are cut down a bit more than they should be...… I wondered about this the other day. You could technically just plop the stem on top of a bare bearing if you really wanted low, eh? I'm not sure how much of it would be covered though.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

3/27/2020 8:54 AM

Fortyseven wrote:

The pic makes me think it's the second one. There is lettering just like the second picture, in his picture. Either way it seems kind of odd to me. The second one looks like there is a spacer on top. My Eastern looks a bit like that but it's 2 pieces. And yeah, somehow cutting down or sanding down the top of that second one seems like it would work

Although that's gotta be like mine. Those are all separate pieces eh? If all you have is the flat piece on the bottom of that, then it seems like the forks are cut down a bit more than they should be...… I wondered about this the other day. You could technically just plop the stem on top of a bare bearing if you really wanted low, eh? I'm not sure how much of it would be covered though.

I have the second one and I sanded it done last night gonna check it out as soon as I go outside

|

3/27/2020 8:57 AM

Can you give us a side shot? I'm just trying to understand how tall the top cap actually is. Seems like there are different types out there....

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

3/27/2020 9:13 AM

Fortyseven wrote:

Can you give us a side shot? I'm just trying to understand how tall the top cap actually is. Seems like there are different types out there....

same it would be best if we could get a side picture also put the caps you sanded down back on the bike and show us how it looks.

|

3/27/2020 9:16 AM

Fortyseven wrote:

I would agree with u that it had been cut to much if it weren't the fact that if u look at how far down the threads are it doesn't appear to have been cut at all.

|

3/27/2020 9:29 AM

Fortyseven wrote:

BmxInTheUsa wrote:

I would agree with u that it had been cut to much if it weren't the fact that if u look at how far down the threads are it doesn't appear to have been cut at all.

They haven’t been cut at all

|

3/27/2020 9:30 AM

Photo
|

3/27/2020 12:23 PM

Those are uncut BSD Acid forks? I swear they came way longer.

What’s the measure of your headtube?

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

3/27/2020 12:25 PM

readybmxer wrote:

157 they say I need 162mm or 164 mm to be safe

|

3/27/2020 12:25 PM

I really don’t get why the steer tube is so short.

|

3/27/2020 12:43 PM

readybmxer wrote:

5” headtube tallboy frame

|

3/27/2020 12:55 PM

readybmxer wrote:

Joe_Mackin 3 wrote:

5” headtube tallboy frame

That's why. I saw your headtube and figured it was an S&M Tallboy. You need a fork with a longer steerer tube.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

3/27/2020 1:14 PM

Does the fork work?

|

3/27/2020 2:11 PM

You could remove the dust cap and use a thin spacer in its place. The dust cap isn't strictly necessary; just a good idea, if it fits.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/27/2020 2:12 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

You could remove the dust cap and use a thin spacer in its place. The dust cap isn't strictly necessary; just a good idea, if it fits.

I’ll try that it fits perfect without the cap also but I will try spacers

|