Headset problems

Related:
Create New Tag

11/26/2014 10:40 PM

So I got a new bmx bike a couple of days ago,the kink liberty 2015, and I put it together and noticed a noise coming from the front of the bike,at first I thought it was the front wheel but I found out it's the headset so I took it apart and regreased everything and tightened the top cap but it still sounds like it's loose.Any ideas?

|

11/26/2014 11:00 PM

prolly breaking in. if it gets worse have it looked at

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

11/26/2014 11:03 PM

tomdon wrote:

If it doesn't get better does it mean I need a new frame or a new headset?

|

11/26/2014 11:07 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/26/2014 11:08 PM

tomdon wrote:

RenegadeXCIX wrote:

If it doesn't get better does it mean I need a new frame or a new headset?

frame is a possibility but 95% its the headset if it gets worse. All things have break in periods though so dont jump to conclusions of failure yet. Your spokes will creak when bedding in too

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

11/26/2014 11:31 PM

tomdon wrote:

frame is a possibility but 95% its the headset if it gets worse. All things have break in periods though so dont jump to ...more

Okay thanks for the info

|

11/26/2014 11:34 PM

How does the stem sit on the steer tube of the forks? You should have enough spacers so the top of the steer tube is slightly below the top if the stem, like a couple mm's.
Photo
Tighten the top cap bolt first but only enough to where there's no slop but you bars will still spin. Tighten pinch bolts last.

Take some pics though. Like how you have the spacers and bearings arranged .

You can tell if its the headset by Turing the bars 90 degrees, and try to roll back and forth (relative to the back wheel) with your fingers on gap between the top of your head tube and the dustcover of your headset. If it is loose, you will feel it move.Photo

Photo

|

11/27/2014 4:41 AM

It's most likely just your headset breaking in. I had the 2013 Liberty and mine made those noises at first. Now my bike is two years old and the headset has finally broken, but that's a pretty decent amount of time for a headset. You should be fine! You'll love the bike!

|