Headset question?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/2/2012 10:19 AM

I now have a topload stem. i use to ride a frontload stem. Well when i had a frontload stem i had a decent size spacer below it. I now got a topload stem and i had to change this decent size spacer to a HUGE spacer in order for my headset to be tight. I had to change it cause this stem is thicker then my previous one. Is there any way i could keep this topload stem with a smaller spacer without my headset being loose? I was thinking to cut the forks down but id be afraid to fuck somthing up. any advice?

|

1/2/2012 10:21 AM

the only way would be to cut the steerer tube

you won't fuck it up, i thought i fucked mine up when i cut it cause i accidentally cut it at an angle cause I'm stupid and as long as your stem still sits above it and you have threads in there, you should be good. oh & file it once you've cut it too

|

1/2/2012 10:23 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

the only way would be to cut the steerer tube

you won't fuck it up, i thought i fucked mine up when i cut it cause i accidentally cut it at an angle cause I'm stupid and as long as your stem still sits above it and you have threads in there, you should be good. oh & file it once you've cut it too

So just saw it down a bit. file the top after your done. put the spacer in and then the stem and thats it?

|

1/2/2012 10:27 AM

pretty much, try not to cut into the threads cause that could complicate things. i only cut mine down a little bit above where the threads started.

if you have clamps/vices use them, i used an old stem & just cut it with that as my measuring tool haha.
just measure how much you want off, mark it, clamp it, measure again to make sure and cut it, file the top so it's not all ridged & shit, put it back on your bike & you should only need the small spacer

|