Headset spacers and the height of my bars

Related:
Create New Tag

8/29/2016 3:01 PM

I recently noticed that my bars are much lower than the bars of a kid that is below shoulderheight for me.., I am about 6 foot 1. My bars have 9 inch rise and I do not run any spacers.

I know that I should ride what feels most comfortable to me and I am used to my bike but I wonder what kind of effect running some spacers would have on the feel of my bike.

Would it make bunnyhops more difficult for example?

Here is a picture of my bike for reference:

Photo

|

Check out SeckClothing.com ! Awesome BMX clothing and parts! For any questions you can message me wink

8/29/2016 3:27 PM

It's basically just moving your bars up higher without getting different bars. I run a 20mm 1 piece spacer with a top load stem and 9 inch bars. If I got rid of the 20mm spacer and only ran a 5 I'd be lowering my bars by 15mm.

As for bunnyhops, I rode a guys bike with S&M Elevenz on it (he was like 6' 7") and when I hopped I only got about 6" off the ground. Easier to hop, harder to go higher. Similar to chainstay length, but thats a story for another day (I can hop almost 2 feet on my bike).

Hope this helps!

|

Ride hard or Ride home.
Pink N’ Pretty

Instagram
@tarsales

8/29/2016 3:36 PM

You'll only get a 5mm spacer on there at most. Otherwise not enough of your stem will be clamping on your forks. It's all personal preference, and depends how/what you ride. 9" with a topload is too high for me and I'm 6'. Taller bars make your bike feel more responsive, but less stable

|

8/29/2016 3:36 PM

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

It's basically just moving your bars up higher without getting different bars. I run a 20mm 1 piece spacer with a top load stem and 9 inch bars. If I got rid of the 20mm spacer and only ran a 5 I'd be lowering my bars by 15mm.

As for bunnyhops, I rode a guys bike with S&M Elevenz on it (he was like 6' 7") and when I hopped I only got about 6" off the ground. Easier to hop, harder to go higher. Similar to chainstay length, but thats a story for another day (I can hop almost 2 feet on my bike).

Hope this helps!

So you are saying that with higher bars hops are easier, but getting height is more difficult? Or the other way around, easier hops with lower bars and more difficult to get height

|

Check out SeckClothing.com ! Awesome BMX clothing and parts! For any questions you can message me wink

8/29/2016 11:21 PM

Hops are less effort with tall bars, but you can't hop as high

|