Headtube angle

Related:
Create New Tag

11/29/2015 3:44 AM

Did a search can't really find what I'm looking for my current frame is a 21.25 toptube with a 74 headtube the frame I'm replacing it with has a 74.5 headtube and I'm going 21.5 my question is will that half degree I know doesn't seem like much but will it make the toptube feel longer and how will the front end feel compared to the 74 I havnt rode anything other than 74 for 8yrs am I putting to much thought into this

|

11/29/2015 4:42 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/29/2015 6:00 AM

You're actually essentially shortening the wheelbase as you're moving the front wheel back towards your frame by going with a higher headtube angle, EDIT* you're also moving the bars away from you slightly and may make the front end feel LONGER but I doubt you'll notice a difference. That extra 1/4" in length you will notice though.

|

11/29/2015 5:12 AM

The steeper head angle will make it feel longer. Not shorter.

|

11/29/2015 5:54 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

The steeper head angle will make it feel longer. Not shorter.

You're correct. Brain took a shit I guess. I should probably edit that above. It would only make sense if you rotate the headtube forward you bring the wheel closer and move the bars away.

You're not going to notice any difference in whether the frame feels longer because of the headtube angle though. You're adding a 1/4 of top tube underneath you that you didn't have before.

As I'm waking up I'm realizing there's really even more to it than that. For instance, if you rode someone elses 21.5" tt bike and you dug it. You'd also have to take into account fork offset, stem reach and height, bar back and upsweep. There's a lot of likely different variables.

|

11/29/2015 6:28 AM

If it feels horrible, just lean your bars back a touch. Then it won't feel as steep or long at the front

|

11/29/2015 6:42 AM

Thanks for the replies gents I did ride a 21.5 but it had a 74 shorter stem smaller bars but the bars had the same sweeps as mine I understand there's variables I'm just curious if I'm going to notice it upfront, the wheel base I'm not worried about because I'm getting a longer chainstay

|

11/29/2015 7:08 AM

It's probably going to feel like a completely different bike when you put it together.

Not digging the villij anymore?

|

11/29/2015 7:22 AM

No honestly way to high of a bb great build quality and rigid just feels sketchy at high speeds going with a hartbreaker

|

11/29/2015 7:57 AM

Yeah I mean if all you're really riding is trails, yeah you'd probably be happier with the fit. Robbo rides just about everything so that bb height likely helps him out.

I was on a Lucky Strike for a while. Loved it. I believe the Villj was based off of that frame. I thought at the time I wanted to ride something shorter (tt and cs) and I sold it to a buddy for pennies. I'm pretty sure he sleeps with it now and won't give it back haha.

Mutiny really does put out a great product though. If I wasn't happy enough with my BTM I would definitely get on a Mutiny again.

|

11/29/2015 10:19 AM

Pegless_215 wrote:

Yeah I mean if all you're really riding is trails, yeah you'd probably be happier with the fit. Robbo rides just about ...more

That's just I gave it a chance it's a solid built frame but I was on a deluxe before my villij that low bottom bracket is just so nice to have when you're screaming at a big dub I'm not worried about park or transition riding I rode it just fine on my deluxe

|