Headtube angle vs fork offset

Related:
Create New Tag

7/21/2018 6:59 PM

How many millimeters of fork offset is equal to .5 degrees of head angle? I heard somewhere that .5* is equal to about 3mm of offset. Is this correct? I've been trying to figure this out for a while now

|

7/21/2018 7:16 PM

doesnt matter much honestly ride 75.5 with 13-15mm forks ull be fine i ride 75.75 with 13mm forks its not crazy

|

Lessons not learned in blood are soon forgotten

7/21/2018 7:30 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/21/2018 7:34 PM

.5° hta is equal to 7mm fork offset...

So 1 degree is equal to 14mm...

So 75° hta with 25mm offset fork is equal to 75.5° hta with 32mm offset forks...

"hta" stands for, Head Tube Angle in case you didn't know..

At least that's what I've read. It could be wrong though. But I'm not sure....

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

7/21/2018 7:47 PM

RonnieRawdawg wrote:

doesnt matter much honestly ride 75.5 with 13-15mm forks ull be fine i ride 75.75 with 13mm forks its not crazy

I was possibly wanting to do 76.25 hta with 33mm forks. You think that would be stable enough?

|

7/22/2018 2:27 AM

RonnieRawdawg wrote:

jiminyu wrote:

I was possibly wanting to do 76.25 hta with 33mm forks. You think that would be stable enough?

Good luck it’s going to be twitching all over at first. With 33mm offset it will be hard to get that angle 17-20 maybe

|

7/22/2018 3:38 AM

Seems a bit backward to me, you'd be much better off with a mellower headangle and steeper forks

|

7/22/2018 6:43 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Seems a bit backward to me, you'd be much better off with a mellower headangle and steeper forks

No it's just that the frame I'm looking into has a really steep hta and I'm just trying to make it as mellow as possible lol. I like everything about the frame except possibly the hta

|

7/22/2018 7:19 AM

What frame are you looking at? The Doomsayer? Just find another frame with the same geo but with a mellower head tube... problem solved

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

7/22/2018 7:36 AM

*buys the most responsive frame on the market, just to mellow it out* wassat

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

7/22/2018 8:30 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

jiminyu wrote:

No it's just that the frame I'm looking into has a really steep hta and I'm just trying to make it as mellow as possible lol. ...more

Shorter fork offset makes for better steering whilst being just as responsive. Steeper headangle makes the steering twitchier. There's some science that George French went into that I can't be bothered to find that explains it all.
There's literally hundreds of frames on the market. I'm pretty sure you'll be able to find one with the same geometry but sightly slacker ha

|

7/22/2018 12:59 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Shorter fork offset makes for better steering whilst being just as responsive. Steeper headangle makes the steering twitchier. ...more

easy enough to view it like a drift car, a jzx100 has a longer wheel base than say a miata. jzx100 has more stability and easier to drift where the miata is twitcher because shorter wheelbase so its harder to hold the angle.

even with that the 76.25 i would prolly ride 15mm offset forks

|

Lessons not learned in blood are soon forgotten

7/22/2018 3:11 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

*buys the most responsive frame on the market, just to mellow it out* wassat

Hahahaha

|

7/22/2018 3:12 PM

Yeah I decided that I want something mellower. The doomsayer is just too much lol.

|

7/22/2018 3:13 PM

jiminyu wrote:

No it's just that the frame I'm looking into has a really steep hta and I'm just trying to make it as mellow as possible lol. ...more

grumpySteve wrote:

Shorter fork offset makes for better steering whilst being just as responsive. Steeper headangle makes the steering twitchier. ...more

RonnieRawdawg wrote:

easy enough to view it like a drift car, a jzx100 has a longer wheel base than say a miata. jzx100 has more stability and ...more

Bruh holy shit ??. You would make a 90 degree turn just by slightly tilting the bars lol

|

7/22/2018 6:13 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

RonnieRawdawg wrote:

easy enough to view it like a drift car, a jzx100 has a longer wheel base than say a miata. jzx100 has more stability and ...more

jiminyu wrote:

Bruh holy shit ??. You would make a 90 degree turn just by slightly tilting the bars lol

??? so true

Go with 75-75.25 and then adjust with forks and you are set. Friend is running a 15 ofset forgot his HT but it equals near 75.75 with the forks

|