Heating a frame would weaken it??

Related:
Create New Tag

10/14/2015 10:55 PM

I had trouble to take out the wedge post (pivotal) from my frame (skavenger tunnel v2 vinne sammon's) they had to heaten it to get the job done. Later at the park some dudes told me it is bad for the frame cause it makes it lose its temper and weakens the welds. Is this for real??

|

10/15/2015 5:52 AM

If they heat it up too hot, yes. If they warmed the frame up enough to make the metal expand, probably not much to worry about. Did the paint or metal change colors? Did it glow red?

If no, You're probably fine. If they heated that frame cherry red, it will have an effect, HOWEVER, the area warmed is less stress than say, your headtube.

Just inspect your bike (like you should be anyway) maybe once a week.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/16/2015 2:48 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

If they heat it up too hot, yes. If they warmed the frame up enough to make the metal expand, probably not much to worry ...more

The paint in the area is gone it burned out. It was not that heaten it did not glow red but i do need a new paint job

|

10/16/2015 3:12 PM

I wouldn't be too concerned, but as stated before, you should inspect your bike.

By the way, who was "they" that "had to heat it up"?

Reason I mention it, is seatposts are usually alloy, and frames are Chromoly steel (or high tensile steel), so they can corrode separately and stick, but won't rust together, so they may have been able to break it loose a different way.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura