Hello darkness, my old friend

Related:
Create New Tag

12/29/2020 10:40 AM

Season's over. Done. Finished. Shut down. It's a wrap.
Photo

Who else is suffering? Gather round and let's be sad together.

|

12/29/2020 10:44 AM

Been like that in Canada for 3 months now

|

12/29/2020 10:48 AM

eskimojay wrote:

Been like that in Canada for 3 months now

Yikes, many sympathies for you man. Hope you got some indoors to mess with.

|

12/29/2020 10:49 AM

Was about 50º here in the south today, was out doing some jumps around noon.

|

12/29/2020 10:54 AM

BMXMagnus wrote:

Was about 50º here in the south today, was out doing some jumps around noon.

Oh sure, make me cry

|

12/29/2020 11:02 AM

We got a blizzard in mid october, then it melted and we didn't have snow until last week.

I rode outside, in a tshirt on my birthday. That has happened 3 times in my life.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

12/29/2020 11:08 AM

Time to get my boat ready!!

Photo

Photo

On a positive note, most of the types of people I don't like stay indoors this time of year, no ticks, no mosquitoes, no grass mowing, no air-conditioning bills, dogshit on the ground is frozen... I could go on...

|

12/29/2020 1:37 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Photo

Photo

On a positive note, most of the types of people I don't like stay indoors this time of year, no ticks, no mosquitoes, no grass mowing, no air-conditioning bills, dogshit on the ground is frozen... I could go on...

Woah that’s sick, that’s really yours? Would love to see a video of it in action

|

Ride hard or Ride home.
Pink N’ Pretty

Instagram
@tarsales

12/29/2020 1:45 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Photo

Photo

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

Woah that’s sick, that’s really yours? Would love to see a video of it in action

Thanks man, yep, it's mine, and the only one around here... They were made in Wisconsin 70 some years ago...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yYCjKFovqvc

Link^

|

12/29/2020 6:26 PM

Sometimes I take living in southern California for granted

|

smile

12/29/2020 9:50 PM

Moved from south Iowa to AZ, im riding in 60 degree weather and its amazing. Im used to low 20's.

|

Who dat boy?its the kid with a bike too good for his skill level...

12/29/2020 10:03 PM

PastaIsLitty wrote:

I'm peanut butter and jealous

|

12/30/2020 4:52 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/30/2020 4:53 AM

PastaIsLitty wrote:

crispyoldcraig wrote:

I'm peanut butter and jealous

For the riding and weather I am.

For the seasons (I actually appreciate them some) and cost of living, I am content where I am. My house in SOCAL would be knocking on 7 figures in pricing based on what I have seen.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

12/30/2020 2:52 PM

In a similarish boat too. Although my riding season is stopped due to the constant 2 degree cold temps not helping to dry anything out, no indoor parks anywhere close to me so thats my 2020 of BMX done.

Bit gutted as i haven't even had a chance to ride my new T1 classic bars i got for Christmas.

|

12/31/2020 5:11 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/31/2020 5:12 AM

yarders91 wrote:

In a similarish boat too. Although my riding season is stopped due to the constant 2 degree cold temps not helping to dry anything out, no indoor parks anywhere close to me so thats my 2020 of BMX done.

Bit gutted as i haven't even had a chance to ride my new T1 classic bars i got for Christmas.

If it helps, I feel your pain. Weather has timed PERFECTLY to stop me from riding since 12/10, and even then it was a tiny little free park that has some TERRIBLE ramps. Before that it was early November I think.

This was 12/10-my 35th Bday. Rare that I get to ride on it, let alone outside in a tshirt IN DECEMBER.

X-up
Photo

My fat ass can still hop bar!
Photo

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

12/31/2020 6:06 AM

yarders91 wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

If it helps, I feel your pain. Weather has timed PERFECTLY to stop me from riding since 12/10, and even then it was a tiny little free park that has some TERRIBLE ramps. Before that it was early November I think.

This was 12/10-my 35th Bday. Rare that I get to ride on it, let alone outside in a tshirt IN DECEMBER.

X-up
Photo

My fat ass can still hop bar!
Photo

Lookin good my dude! I was lucky to get a bunch of mild days in December including my birthday as well (Dec 19th, 33yr). I know MN gets it worse than NE so here's wishing you a short Winter cool

|

12/31/2020 12:42 PM

I think here in AUSTRALIA where im from ive seen snow about 20x in my 35.5 year life. I love the snow when it comes ever so rarely but cant imagine months of it. What do you guys do for work in these months?? Well more so people who work in the outdoors??

|

12/31/2020 12:48 PM

gun32gtr wrote:

I think here in AUSTRALIA where im from ive seen snow about 20x in my 35.5 year life. I love the snow when it comes ever so rarely but cant imagine months of it. What do you guys do for work in these months?? Well more so people who work in the outdoors??

I worked in an office 25 miles from my house, so I would drive in it, regardless of what was happening. Being here my whole life, I am accustomed to snow and what it does. I know to slow down, don't crank the steering wheel or slam brakes, and watch it.

Fortunately I haven't had too many gigs where I was outside in winter, but I know people who do, they buy good winter gear, have less work, and take occasional "warm up" breaks when needed.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

12/31/2020 12:55 PM

gun32gtr wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

I worked in an office 25 miles from my house, so I would drive in it, regardless of what was happening. Being here my whole life, I am accustomed to snow and what it does. I know to slow down, don't crank the steering wheel or slam brakes, and watch it.

Fortunately I haven't had too many gigs where I was outside in winter, but I know people who do, they buy good winter gear, have less work, and take occasional "warm up" breaks when needed.

Argh I see. i mainly wondered as im a Roof/Plumber by trade and winter here can ber a nightmare on roofs with frosts etc. I now also have a full time gig as a correctional officer in a prison and that is the easiest job 95% of the time and as far as weather goes it dont matter. Just turn up and do the job. You got indoor parks locally?

|

12/31/2020 1:13 PM

gun32gtr wrote:

I live in Michigan, south of Detroit..

I've worked outside my whole life, mostly as a contractor for utilities as a forester. Any given day I could be walking the edge of a golf course, a cemetery, an automotive plant, some ghetto backyard, or even a swamp, anywhere and everywhere.

I prefer winter by a long shot. You can dress warm, most people are indoors, no bugs, brush is down, leaves are off the trees so you can see further, and you can literally walk on water. 22°F and snowing beats working in any amount of rain at any temp..

I look forward to and embrace winter like a friend I haven't seen for a while....

We have a lot of fun around here in the winter, probably more things to do too.. Really everything you can do in the summer except regular boating and swimming. But there's sledding, ice skating, building snow forts, snow man, animal tracks, skiing, and most boys can drift a car by the time they get their license!

Photo

|

1/1/2021 5:39 AM

gun32gtr wrote:

Argh I see. i mainly wondered as im a Roof/Plumber by trade and winter here can ber a nightmare on roofs with frosts etc. I now also have a full time gig as a correctional officer in a prison and that is the easiest job 95% of the time and as far as weather goes it dont matter. Just turn up and do the job. You got indoor parks locally?

Nearest one is 2 hours away, and due to Covid has some pretty tight restrictions (limited amount of riders, currently closed and can only rent the whole park which is too much cash for this guy). Even when things were fully open I rarely made it there because the drive, plus 3 hour session would mean I was gone for around 7-8 hours (after grabbing food). Not an easy task to accomplish these days with kids and such. Indoor parks where I live make a killing in winter in a normal year, then are slow all summer (they don't typically cool the riding areas via AC, plus free parks are everywhere).

If things don't change much by mid summer, I plan to build myself a couple quarters or something.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/1/2021 11:56 AM

gun32gtr wrote:

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

I live in Michigan, south of Detroit..

I've worked outside my whole life, mostly as a contractor for utilities as a forester. Any given day I could be walking the edge of a golf course, a cemetery, an automotive plant, some ghetto backyard, or even a swamp, anywhere and everywhere.

I prefer winter by a long shot. You can dress warm, most people are indoors, no bugs, brush is down, leaves are off the trees so you can see further, and you can literally walk on water. 22°F and snowing beats working in any amount of rain at any temp..

I look forward to and embrace winter like a friend I haven't seen for a while....

We have a lot of fun around here in the winter, probably more things to do too.. Really everything you can do in the summer except regular boating and swimming. But there's sledding, ice skating, building snow forts, snow man, animal tracks, skiing, and most boys can drift a car by the time they get their license!

Photo

yeah im with you. I also enjoy the cooler months these days as i love getting out hunting with the dogs and cutting firewood for some cash.Sell to quiet a few people from work etc so keeps me busy.

Looks to me like the kids will have a dam good childhood growing where you are thats for sure..

|

1/1/2021 12:00 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

gun32gtr wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

Nearest one is 2 hours away, and due to Covid has some pretty tight restrictions (limited amount of riders, currently closed and can only rent the whole park which is too much cash for this guy). Even when things were fully open I rarely made it there because the drive, plus 3 hour session would mean I was gone for around 7-8 hours (after grabbing food). Not an easy task to accomplish these days with kids and such. Indoor parks where I live make a killing in winter in a normal year, then are slow all summer (they don't typically cool the riding areas via AC, plus free parks are everywhere).

If things don't change much by mid summer, I plan to build myself a couple quarters or something.

Yeah I can see how that would be a bit of a turn off. And im hearing you about being away for full days,the kids just want to come everywhere and lucky for me now the boys are into park riding and bmx racing as well so we can enjoy it together. But like yourself closet park thats indoors is over 2hrs from us as well so just dont happen.We got away over xmas and hit the first indoor park and it was awesome . Had good foam pit etc,was rather busy as our covid restrictions are fairly mild for now. But I can def see how summer months would be slow as they are bloody hot inside! I was soaked within 20 mins of riding

|

1/2/2021 11:49 AM

On another positive note...

The days are getting longer, and we are past the halfway point for the weather getting colder. In ten weeks we have the potential of t-shirt weather again.

|

1/2/2021 12:29 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

The days are getting longer, and we are past the halfway point for the weather getting colder. In ten weeks we have the potential of t-shirt weather again.

its meant to be summer here. And we havent really had a summer yet. nearly 7 weeks in and I can say its been very mild indeed. Suits me as a roofer thats for sure.

|

1/2/2021 1:35 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/2/2021 1:39 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

gun32gtr wrote:

its meant to be summer here. And we havent really had a summer yet. nearly 7 weeks in and I can say its been very mild indeed. Suits me as a roofer thats for sure.

Damn, roofing might be one of the hottest jobs there is, that and road construction.. I feel for you guys, one thing that comes with forestry is shade at least initially.. Every once in a while, I'll save certain bigger sections of work for early morning or late afternoon depending on how they are running taking the sun/shade into account.

|

1/2/2021 4:54 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

gun32gtr wrote:

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Damn, roofing might be one of the hottest jobs there is, that and road construction.. I feel for you guys, one thing that comes with forestry is shade at least initially.. Every once in a while, I'll save certain bigger sections of work for early morning or late afternoon depending on how they are running taking the sun/shade into account.

it summer it again be upwards of 55 degrees C at times. but if you got a nice breeze its bareble just.. Yeah forestry work would be great fun I feel

|

1/2/2021 5:18 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

For the riding and weather I am.

For the seasons (I actually appreciate them some) and cost of living, I am content where I am. My house in SOCAL would be knocking on 7 figures in pricing based on what I have seen.

You are right! I lived in SoCal and couldn't afford much even though I have a good paying job.. Maybe a small condo. Moved to Central Cali and got a nice sized home. To live nice in Southern Cali area, you got to be making at least $150k
a year. Legit. But, the weather is probably the best than it is in the rest of the country. While many states are dealing with snowstorms and zero degree weather, Southern Californians are enjoying 60-90 degree and beaches all year round. So there's a trade off.

|

1/2/2021 5:32 PM

The fun is destroyed by, countless varieties of thorns, 3 kinds of ticks that all could cause you terrible stuff for as long as you live, Chiggers ( my least favorite) , dogs (99% are cool), water everywhere, mosquitoes can be extremely terrible, never turn your back to goats (if you carry a tree branch goats are afraid of you), crazy people, people with guns drawn, people that want to bullshit you to death, poison ivy everywhere, bee nests you just went through/over/etc, some weeks are 97°F plus crazy humidity, some weeks are 5°F with crazy wind chill numbers.. I'd prefer 5F far more than 97F.

Knock on wood, I'm actually surprised, I've never found a body..

|

1/3/2021 8:28 PM

Bundle up get a shovel, broom and squeegee and get out and clear off some stuff to ride.

|