Helmet Selection

Related:
Create New Tag

2/27/2019 2:31 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/27/2019 2:34 PM

Getting back into to BMX after 20 years, back in the day we never wore helmets now that I am a little wiser and older I need some help on picking a good certified helmet. I was hoping you guys could give me some ideas on good brands that you recommend, thanks in advance!

|

2/27/2019 2:47 PM

Highly highly recommend the Shadow featherweight. Light, certified, not too expensive, and you will literally forget you're wearing it after a few minutes.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

2/27/2019 2:53 PM

Great thanks man I will definitely check them out!

|

2/27/2019 3:49 PM

I have been loving my S1 Lifer. Light, certified multi impact, comes with extra liners 1 size up and 1 size down so you can get an exact fit.

|

2/27/2019 7:32 PM

Bell makes a nice low-profile helmet, the Local. They have a little dial on the back to help adjust the fit. Worth a look.

|

2/27/2019 9:04 PM

Belle segment or shadow featherweight

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

2/28/2019 4:21 AM

Thanks for the input guys I definitely will check these out!

|

2/28/2019 4:43 AM

I'll "third" the Shadow Featherweight.

|

2/28/2019 4:55 AM

I have a Lazer Armor helmet and I love it. Super light, certified, and solid.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

2/28/2019 6:17 AM

Did some research I believe I will be going with the Shadow Featherweight thanks for the help guys!

|

2/28/2019 7:01 AM

I guess I’m the only one still wearing the classic Bucky Pro Tec?

|

2/28/2019 8:16 AM

Love my s1 lifer , TSG makes great helmets too

|

2/28/2019 8:50 AM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

Belle segment or shadow featherweight

I don't think they make segments anymore. They are nice though. I have one and I really like it.

|

8/9/2020 9:24 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/9/2020 9:27 AM

Yes, I'm necro-ing this thread...no sense in making a new one as this has good info in it.

With that said, looking for a light helmet that will stay cool as possible but also has a decent lip/visor built-in ot can add-on take off as needed for sun.

My 13yr boy (~21" circ) needs a helmet for just riding around the neighborhood but has a slight sensitivity to sunlight so always wears a hat outside when it's real sunny. Shouldn't wear a hat under a helmet right?

He has glasses that darken but that's not enough on hot sunny days, so looking for something with a visor. I saw the Bern helmets, but was wondering if there are other brands to look at they have tht feature?

Thanks!

|

8/9/2020 6:15 PM

bluestang wrote:

Yes, I'm necro-ing this thread...no sense in making a new one as this has good info in it.

With that said, looking for a light helmet that will stay cool as possible but also has a decent lip/visor built-in ot can add-on take off as needed for sun.

My 13yr boy (~21" circ) needs a helmet for just riding around the neighborhood but has a slight sensitivity to sunlight so always wears a hat outside when it's real sunny. Shouldn't wear a hat under a helmet right?

He has glasses that darken but that's not enough on hot sunny days, so looking for something with a visor. I saw the Bern helmets, but was wondering if there are other brands to look at they have tht feature?

Thanks!

Nothing wrong with wearing a hat underneath a helmet, the Bern visor is quite tiny and doesn’t block as well as a hat. Unsure of any brands that have a built-on visor like Bern does.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

8/9/2020 7:07 PM

readybmxer wrote:

Nothing wrong with wearing a hat underneath a helmet, the Bern visor is quite tiny and doesn’t block as well as a hat. Unsure of any brands that have a built-on visor like Bern does.

Dave Freimuth endorses this comment.

|

Don’t put 25.4 bars in a 22.2 stem.

8/9/2020 7:40 PM

Maybe a MTB helmet? Plenty of those have visors. Giro for example. For just riding around the neighbourhood it probably doesn’t have to take the repeated abuse a BMX helmet needs to.

|

8/10/2020 5:20 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/10/2020 5:20 AM

bluestang wrote:

Thanks!

readybmxer wrote:

Spongeworthy wrote:

Dave Freimuth endorses this comment.

Same with Brian Vowell from time to time.

Person who brought the thread back: You could look for cycling caps-they are thinner hats designed for under the helmet-the visor is about the same size a bern helmet.

Otherwise get one that has adjustable sizing via the pads or look into commuter style helmets which are similar style to skate helmets, tend to have better ventilation and usually a visor.

I have an off brand one I got on Amazon for my road/CX/MTB riding that works well enough-certified for safety and has a removable visor. I've had more comfortable helmets before, but the price was solid.

This is the one I bought for Road/MTB/Commuting.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/10/2020 8:25 AM

S1 Mega Lifer if you have a head size over 7 5/8 and don't mind looking like you have another planet growing from your already planet-sized head. By far the most comfortable helmet I've used.

|

8/11/2020 7:35 AM

eskimojay wrote:

Love my s1 lifer , TSG makes great helmets too

I have the dawn flex, super comfy, but I think your forego some of the safety certs because it has split padding to make it easier to get on

|

Come back with a warrant.

8/12/2020 7:08 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/12/2020 7:11 AM

BillyBigRigger wrote:

I guess I’m the only one still wearing the classic Bucky Pro Tec?

The bucky helmet looks awesome but it is not a certified helmet (old comment I know, but worth mentioning just in case).

Edited to add: My dome piece of choice is the POC Crane helmet. Unfortunately for this year it seems they only have 1 color option (a weird blue-ish color) which may not suit everyone's aesthetics (I have the black shell with white inside from a couple seasons back).

|

26" Park Rat

8/12/2020 7:37 AM

Some day I'd like a cool helmet. I just bought the cheapest bell of amazon. I think I paid 15 bucks for it. I don't remember the exact model but any of the bell ones are approved for light duty I think.

I painted it cuz I was bored and maybe it looks a little cooler. But it's kind of bulky and weird looking but I don't really think much about it. It was cheap. And fits well. My wifes is a little more low profile and probably looks a bit better and I used to wear hers. But again it's just a cheap bell.

Photo

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

8/12/2020 3:03 PM

The S1 LIFER is strong and comfy is one of the best fitting helmets I've ever worn!Photo

|

8/12/2020 4:45 PM

I just got my cult protec helmet with white black draws design. The design is gotten boring after two days, feels cheap for some reason
I wouldnt reccomend it.

|

8/13/2020 5:49 AM

Just bought an outdoor masters helmet...its certified and much cheaper than protec or triple 8...seems more bulky than my cheap helmet I've been using but the plastic seems better and the padding is much better quality

Comes with 2 thicknesses of removable pads and is adjustable...i would recommend sizing up since it has a dial, i got a medium and the size seems to be maxed out

|

8/13/2020 8:15 PM

younggotti wrote:

Just bought an outdoor masters helmet...its certified and much cheaper than protec or triple 8...seems more bulky than my cheap helmet I've been using but the plastic seems better and the padding is much better quality

Comes with 2 thicknesses of removable pads and is adjustable...i would recommend sizing up since it has a dial, i got a medium and the size seems to be maxed out

Thanks for this! Was having a hard time finding stock on a color he wanted in some of the suggestions. Managed to snag a Deep Blue from their own site. After 20% off code an free shipping came to $40 to my door. Happy dad here!

|

8/13/2020 9:06 PM

younggotti wrote:

bluestang wrote:

Thanks for this! Was having a hard time finding stock on a color he wanted in some of the suggestions. Managed to snag a Deep Blue from their own site. After 20% off code an free shipping came to $40 to my door. Happy dad here!

Yeah no problem, I haven't rode in it yet but it seems much better than the cheap helmet I had

If im lucky ill never actually test it, if you know what I mean

|

8/14/2020 7:06 AM

Dr Sarcophagus wrote:

Maybe a MTB helmet? Plenty of those have visors. Giro for example. For just riding around the neighbourhood it probably doesn’t have to take the repeated abuse a BMX helmet needs to.

I am pretty sure MTB and BMX helmets are certified to the exact same spec.

|

8/14/2020 8:28 PM

I also second the S1 Lifer, got one beginning of the year and it’s easily the best I’ve worn.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn