Helmets

Related:
Create New Tag

11/14/2016 2:04 PM

Yo dudes, i am writing a paper about why i think bmx riders should wear helmets and i am looking for sources about helmets i could use. It'd be awesome if you guys could link me to some stuff if you know of anything good. i figured i would also use this to start a discussion about helmets, do you guys wear them? if so how often? i would also like to point out that i do not think people should be forced to wear helmets and i understand why people don't like them. i ride with one all the time and i still don't really like it, but it's not that bad and it's worth it to me because i don't want to knock myself any dumber than i already am. Last week i was out of town for a couple days to ride and film with some friends for a dvd we are working on. I decided to ride down a giant arch that goes down the side of a building. I under-estimated how fast i was gonna be going by the time i got to the ground so i crashed HARD! I didn't pull up the front wheel in time so i basically just rode straight into the ground at top speed. I got knocked out and slide like 20 feet on my face in the grass. What really sucks is i was wearing my helmet but my bars turned and hit me in the chin, snapping my helmet strap and knocking it off my head before my head hit the ground. All this time i spend wearing the helmet and the one time i really need it it breaks off haha, just my luck. I remember getting about half way down the arch and then waking up in the hospital. Apparently i woke up several times in between then and talked to people but i have no memory of that. I'm left wondering what would have happened if my helmet hadn't broken off. my head would have still gotten rocked but idk if i still would have gotten knocked out. I need a new helmet now though, i had the bell segment which was great except it makes my head look like a bowling ball. i'm thinking about getting an s1 lifer or another flex style helmet. Anyone got any suggestions? I guess i'm just rambling on now but yeah if you have anything to say about helmets just let me know, thanks.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

11/14/2016 4:03 PM

I ride with a helmet 100% of the time, I never ride without it. Also, I'll never ride a non-certified helme (like the Protec full cut). I'm currently using the TSG Dawn Flex full cut or whatever it's called, and I love it

|

Ride hard or Ride home.
Pink N’ Pretty

Instagram
@tarsales

11/14/2016 4:41 PM

Always 100% of the time full face here! I ride a lot of dirt and we take a lot of spills! Full face or no face is my motto

|

11/14/2016 5:31 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/14/2016 5:32 PM

yep. I always wear a helmet. My head is f.ed up enough as it is after 47 years of heavy metal/punk rock music and all of the culture and shenanigans (circle pits baby!!!) that go with it. Add in the same amount of years playing hockey...I don't need any more rattling in my head!

I also wear a helmet when BMXing and road riding b/c of "the other guys"...I don't know or trust what other people are going to do so I want that insurance. I definitely wear one mountain biking because of trees, rocks, and loose stuff on the trail; I wear it riding on the bike paths with the fam because of self centered morons who like to push their mega strollers in both lanes, and stop to talk or sip their Starfux coffee.... and Strava-phags zipping by at 90mph trying to impress each other...once again, it's the "other guy"

I also don't feel sorry for people who get hurt when they don't wear one...to me that is "evolution"...nature taking care of itself...thinning the herd. there are tons of guys at the park I ride who are "too cool" for a helmet...there is nothing better than the thud of their head hitting concrete to remind them of how cool they are.

A good friend of mine (who was in the Hell's Angels back in the 70's and 80's) doesn't wear a helmet on his motorcycle...and is the one bitching the loudest about "respecting people on motor bikes". I always tell him, "how can I respect you, or take you seriously, when you don;t even respect yourself by not wearing a helmet?" then he hits me with a bunch of misinterpretation of the Constitution about his "right to not wear a helmet"...ugh.

Put a helmet on or get out of the way I say!

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

11/14/2016 5:40 PM

I ride a Giro Quarter helmet. Saved my head one time and I'm glad for it.

|

11/14/2016 6:05 PM

Look up MIPS its a helmet liner that helps protects the head. I think itll help

|

11/14/2016 8:01 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/15/2016 7:09 AM

I was used to ride with helmets for skatepark riding, or heavy street sessions, but not necessarly if I was just out for a hour or so.
And I paid the price, I 180 the 5 stairs, a trick I'm sure to not mess up, then did it again a few minutes later and bang !! Fork steerer tube broken just under stem so I'm landing fakie with a decent speed and get ejected to the ground with bars and stem in hand, hit the back of my head and get knocked out. (It was a 3 month old mutiny fork)

Then I spent nearly a week at the hospital, but I was good for nothing until a big month, I remember the first time I get back on the bike it was like 3 weeks after the crash, not even for riding but just to go see a friend, my balance was so fucked it was scary, I was struggling just to pedal and ride straight and felt like I was completely unprecise like if I attempted a manual I would've been immediately loopout (and unable to get those feet on the ground quick enough) , I didn't even felt myself to bunny hop on a sidewalk, It was a shock for me.

It happened precisely one year ago, It took me nearly two month to ride again and one more month to get a full recovery, since then I ride with a helmet 100% of the time.
And I strongly advise to anyone to ride with one, because you can break your arm or leg, it'll be painful but you'll be just fine after a while, after a big hit on the head... you could never be the same person again.

|

11/14/2016 10:22 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/15/2016 12:43 AM

Always, I never rode without helmet. Helmet saved my life twice.

|

Land it or go home

11/15/2016 1:09 AM

You guys ride on the streets with full face?
I'm thinking on buying a full face for the streets, with googles and all that smile) downhill style smile)
It is practical on windy days...but is it overkill?

|

11/15/2016 4:52 AM

sXeBMXer wrote:

yep. I always wear a helmet. My head is f.ed up enough as it is after 47 years of heavy metal/punk rock music and all of the culture and shenanigans (circle pits baby!!!) that go with it. Add in the same amount of years playing hockey...I don't need any more rattling in my head!

I also wear a helmet when BMXing and road riding b/c of "the other guys"...I don't know or trust what other people are going to do so I want that insurance. I definitely wear one mountain biking because of trees, rocks, and loose stuff on the trail; I wear it riding on the bike paths with the fam because of self centered morons who like to push their mega strollers in both lanes, and stop to talk or sip their Starfux coffee.... and Strava-phags zipping by at 90mph trying to impress each other...once again, it's the "other guy"

I also don't feel sorry for people who get hurt when they don't wear one...to me that is "evolution"...nature taking care of itself...thinning the herd. there are tons of guys at the park I ride who are "too cool" for a helmet...there is nothing better than the thud of their head hitting concrete to remind them of how cool they are.

A good friend of mine (who was in the Hell's Angels back in the 70's and 80's) doesn't wear a helmet on his motorcycle...and is the one bitching the loudest about "respecting people on motor bikes". I always tell him, "how can I respect you, or take you seriously, when you don;t even respect yourself by not wearing a helmet?" then he hits me with a bunch of misinterpretation of the Constitution about his "right to not wear a helmet"...ugh.

Put a helmet on or get out of the way I say!

Truth

|

11/15/2016 4:53 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/15/2016 4:54 AM

am-shaegar wrote:

I'm thinking on buying a full face for the streets, with googles and all that smile) downhill style smile)

Like I said, I wear a full face 24/7 and always have since I started riding freestyle back in the 90's. I don't care what anyone thinks. It's my personal preference

|

11/15/2016 5:02 AM

am-shaegar wrote:

seanthemechanic wrote:

Like I said, I wear a full face 24/7 and always have since I started riding freestyle back in the 90's. I don't care what anyone thinks. It's my personal preference

word...helmet/full face and you get to ride another day!!

and Frankie brought up an issue I didn't even think about...equipment failure. You never know when that is going to happen

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
2015 Surly Krampus

11/15/2016 6:24 AM

Just make sure the helmet you buy is certified and when you do crash and slam your head with the helmet, replace it! Don't mess around with that

|

11/15/2016 10:23 AM

Just saw Scotty's new video :O
Fuck that shit, man!
Just ordered a full face helmet, no more riding without one.

">MY WORST CRASH EVER!
|

11/16/2016 5:28 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/16/2016 5:32 AM

I didn't always wear a helmet when I was younger and I hit my head twice back then, one time it fell off and one time with it on. I had a mild concussion before when I didn't wear my helmet and that sucked. Even when I hit my head with the helmet on i still got really dizzy and felt like shit. I didn't wear one often when I was younger because I hated the strap around my neck and it kept moving around but probably wasnt fitted properly.
Now I always wear a helmet and love it, I wear a TSG Dawn Flex and its amazing. It helps keep my hair out of my face, I feel more confidant riding knowing my head is protected, helps keep my headphones in, doesn't slip or moves around and most of all it protects my head more than a normal helmet as its full cut.
Only problem I had was the foam around the ear part started coming off where it was glued so I glued it back on and its good now.
Always get a certified helmet and make sure it fits good.
Be safe! smile

|

11/16/2016 5:33 AM

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

I ride with a helmet 100% of the time, I never ride without it. Also, I'll never ride a non-certified helme (like the Protec full cut). I'm currently using the TSG Dawn Flex full cut or whatever it's called, and I love it

I'm the same I never ride without it, I have the same helmet and love it also.

|

11/16/2016 9:02 AM

I've never worn a helmet. I don't plan on ever wearing one either. I find them a huge off put (same with pads) and I'd rather not ride than ride and feel uncomfortable. I'm confident enough in my ability to bail, plus being brakeless has made me massively aware of my surroundings and given me like a spidey sense to things that could go wrong. I evaluate every situation as it's happening, and am happy to not try something if I think it won't work how I want it to. I walk away from a lot of things I want to try because of the risk factor, but I don't feel the need to risk anything when I ride. If it's scary, I won't do it. I ride because it's fun, not to be scared

|

11/16/2016 9:24 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

I've never worn a helmet. I don't plan on ever wearing one either. I find them a huge off put (same with pads) and I'd rather not ride than ride and feel uncomfortable. I'm confident enough in my ability to bail, plus being brakeless has made me massively aware of my surroundings and given me like a spidey sense to things that could go wrong. I evaluate every situation as it's happening, and am happy to not try something if I think it won't work how I want it to. I walk away from a lot of things I want to try because of the risk factor, but I don't feel the need to risk anything when I ride. If it's scary, I won't do it. I ride because it's fun, not to be scared

I hear ya about he pads thing. I have never used pads...not even mountain biking, but as mentioned before I always have a helmet. Since I started wearing a helmet playing hockey at age 4, I am so used to having one on it doesn't phase me. I also ride like you...for fun, not for risk. there are TONS of tricks I would like to do, but when it comes down to it, the risk is not worth it with many. That doesn't mean that I don't do stupid things trying to learn the tricks I do want to do though, and that is wear the helmet has kept many a riding session going for longer than it could have after a bail.

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
2015 Surly Krampus

11/16/2016 11:21 PM

sXeBMXer wrote:

I hear ya about he pads thing. I have never used pads...not even mountain biking, but as mentioned before I always have a helmet. Since I started wearing a helmet playing hockey at age 4, I am so used to having one on it doesn't phase me. I also ride like you...for fun, not for risk. there are TONS of tricks I would like to do, but when it comes down to it, the risk is not worth it with many. That doesn't mean that I don't do stupid things trying to learn the tricks I do want to do though, and that is wear the helmet has kept many a riding session going for longer than it could have after a bail.

Yeah, I'd never say they're a bad idea, they're just not for me. So I thought I'd give my personal perspective on them. Plenty of people don't.
After watching the Mike aitken video about his crash I thought about getting one. But I don't do anything big anyway.

I knocked myself out twice when I was younger, but that's because I wasn't as confident at bailing. If something went wrong I'd kind of freeze in the air. That's the worst thing to do! Now I'm pretty good at staying loose and just letting go of my bike. The hardest slam I've had in the past couple of years was when my chain snapped and I got sent to the ground. Everything else I just kind of manage to let go and either walk or roll out of it

|

11/16/2016 11:42 PM

I only wear a helmet when its a required rule for riding. Most skateparks and more and more trails are mandating it. But honestly, if I dont have to wear one I wont. Just personal preference. I grew up not wearing one so Im sort of accustomed to it.
And yes, I've had multiple concussions, broken bones, surgeries, etc etc. With and without helmets.

|

Smoke Drink Die

11/17/2016 8:45 PM

Helmets all the time, cuz I'm not stupid.
Wear a simple skate helmet when you ride street, but going helmetless isn't macho, or cool, it's just plain stupid.

|

11/17/2016 10:01 PM

Otabmx wrote:

Helmets all the time, cuz I'm not stupid.
Wear a simple skate helmet when you ride street, but going helmetless isn't macho, or cool, it's just plain stupid.

I'm in FULL agreement!

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

11/18/2016 6:37 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/18/2016 6:42 AM

I got a downhill Fox helmet that's real comfy. Full face is the only faceplant protection. I don't need to break teeth or the front of my skull. Too expensive for me! I also wear elbow and knee pads too. Rarely use them except when I really screw up. I've had enough injuries that I know how bad it could have been when I get up unharmed with the pads on. After you bail going real fast and slide it off on your elbows and knees without a scratch you can't stop laughing in disbelief that you got away with it.

Sometimes it takes some shopping around to find comfy gear but it's out there. If a shop won't let you try it on and hop around to test it, shop somewhere else. Usually if it's not comfy in the store it's not going to get comfy from breaking in. So just keep shopping to avoid paying for gear you won't wear.

|

11/18/2016 7:43 AM

The guys saying that they know how to crash or they're confident enough in their riding to not have to wear a helmet are crazy! You guys must have never taken a major slam and have had head injuries. You can think you're the best rider in the world and you know how to do this and that, but things happen when you least expect them and a serious crash can happen even if you think you're prepared. Strap up! It'll save your life! This is coming from a guy that's had multiple concussions even wearing helmets but I'm alive and that's the most important thing of course

|

11/18/2016 7:48 AM

Your quality of life changes after head injuries trust me when I tell you! I get headaches, my balance is off, I have strange dreams, get dizzy spells, memory loss, emotional changes. The bad part is there's nothing that can be done about it and I have to live with it and it sucks. Wear helmets guys! Keep yourselves healthy for your children and families bros!

|

11/18/2016 7:55 AM

Look at Scotty Cranmer, probably the best rider in the world. Crashes while messing around on the street. Of course he had no idea that was going to happen that morning! Lands and hits a pot hole he never saw and took a hit to the face and head. He had a helmet on and still is in rough shape but it could have been a hell of a lot worse for him if he wasn't wearing one

|

11/18/2016 8:36 AM

seanthemechanic wrote:

Look at Scotty Cranmer, probably the best rider in the world. Crashes while messing around on the street. Of course he had no idea that was going to happen that morning! Lands and hits a pot hole he never saw and took a hit to the face and head. He had a helmet on and still is in rough shape but it could have been a hell of a lot worse for him if he wasn't wearing one

Good on you for speaking up man! You're absolutely right, one ding to the head and you're never the same again. About 20 years ago I landed badly jumping off the side of a quarter while snowboarding and caught an edge. Whipped my head straight to the ground. Been struggling with short term memory ever since. Sometimes while trying to just keep up with conversations at work (or anywhere really) is embarrassing because I will forget what someone just told me seconds earlier. Makes me look dumb and sometimes cost's me opportunities.

I used to be so good at bailing off my bike and skateboard I never wore any gear. But yeah that one fluky thing get's ya and there's no way out of the shit you have to deal with.

|

11/18/2016 11:22 AM

If you are in the market for a new helmet, make sure to check out our new Bluetooth Audio helmet. Triple certified and doesn't look huge on your head.

www.vigorhelmets.com

As for Scotty, He rides with a un-certified Pro-tec, most Bmx guys do and it's a shame. The don't do much other than keep you from getting a ticket from the cops. It's really a shame that happened to him and I wonder if he had been wearing a certified helmet if the injury would have been less.

Want to know the difference between a Certified and Non- Certified helmet? Watch this video by Athlete Recovery Fund. Certified Vs. Non- Certified Helmets. Why it's important.

|

11/18/2016 12:29 PM

Vigor_Audio_Helmets wrote:

If you are in the market for a new helmet, make sure to check out our new Bluetooth Audio helmet. Triple certified and doesn't look huge on your head.

www.vigorhelmets.com

As for Scotty, He rides with a un-certified Pro-tec, most Bmx guys do and it's a shame. The don't do much other than keep you from getting a ticket from the cops. It's really a shame that happened to him and I wonder if he had been wearing a certified helmet if the injury would have been less.

Want to know the difference between a Certified and Non- Certified helmet? Watch this video by Athlete Recovery Fund. Certified Vs. Non- Certified Helmets. Why it's important.

There is a huge difference between the two and I can't comprehend why a pro rider is not wearing a certified helmet! And to use Scotty as an example again, he constantly pushes for helmet usage but doesn't wear a certified shell?

|

11/20/2016 7:41 PM

seanthemechanic wrote:

There is a huge difference between the two and I can't comprehend why a pro rider is not wearing a certified helmet! And to use Scotty as an example again, he constantly pushes for helmet usage but doesn't wear a certified shell?

We see Scotty go back and forth between the non-certified Pro Tec Bucky style and a legitimate fox full-face. I've always thought it was odd that he goes from the most available protection to the least.

Anyone who says they're confident enough in their ability to not need a helmet is ignorant and naive. You honestly think you're better/more aware that Aitken, Cranmer, Brett B, Gary Young, Beringer etc? The list of superheroes who've suffered gnarly injuries is too long for that point to ever be valid.

|