Helmets

Related:
Create New Tag

4/4/2018 6:25 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/4/2018 6:25 AM

Hey guys, looking for a decent helmet to hit the skatepark with my man, Bigfoot4Pres. Anybody have any experience with the Pro-Tec's or likewise? Any other brands I can look at, that are of quality?

I've never used a helmet before, so I'm not exactly sure what to look for. Thanks in advance!

|

4/4/2018 6:30 AM

S1 makes good fitting helmets , Kali does as well .

Best bet is going to a local shop and actually trying them on , any certified helmet that fits comfortably is what you want

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

4/4/2018 6:39 AM

I'll check those brands out. Thank you, Sir.

Unfortunately, there aren't many options at the only two bike shops that are fairly close to me. BMX seems to be a thing of the past for these shops.

|

4/4/2018 6:44 AM

I haven't had any experience with the helmets you listed, but I have the Shadow Conspiracy helmet, and its super nice! Sure, my head looks like an egg wearing it, bit who gives a shit lmaolaughing All I know is that's it's comfy, light, and fits nicely...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

4/4/2018 6:45 AM

Shadow Conspiracy Featherweight helmet. Super light, super comfortable, doesn't make you look like a goof, and is forgettable within moments of putting it on.

|

4/4/2018 6:48 AM

Just drink alot of milk and hit the back of your head on the ground every day, harder and harder each day. Your skull will get thicker therefore protecting you from impacts.

|

Ride for yourself and have fun

4/4/2018 6:50 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Shadow Conspiracy Featherweight helmet. Super light, super comfortable, doesn't make you look like a goof, and is forgettable ...more

Yep. This. My only gripe is it's not great when you're REEEAAALLLY sweaty like I am.

Other than that, best and most comfortable helmet I've ever had. Highly recommend it.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

4/4/2018 6:53 AM

Anthony Loves Subrosa wrote:

Just drink alot of milk and hit the back of your head on the ground every day, harder and harder each day. Your skull will get ...more

Thanks, guys. I was just actually looking at the Shadow helmet.

Until my lifestyle change last year, I would drink about a gallon of milk a day and everyone already tells me I'm hard headed but thanks for the suggestions, Anthony. laughing

|

4/4/2018 6:53 AM

I've got a Shadow Conspiracy Classic helmet and I can't fault it, really comfortable, don't really notice it is there, I'm sure the featherweight one would be even better again.

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

4/4/2018 7:16 AM

I like the Classic's price better, for sure.

|

4/4/2018 7:19 AM

dead goon wrote:

I like the Classic's price better, for sure.

Yeah, That's because it is a bulkier helmet compared to the Featherweight. The Featherweight is a more compact design & sits closer to the head. I'm sure either (or any number of other brands) would work well.

|

4/4/2018 7:24 AM

I wear a triple 8 helmet because it's the only brand of helmet that's sold anywhere near me.
I miss when my LBS sold a ton of bmx shit and pro-tecs, anything you want bmx wise either has to be something that is luckily in the back, or ordered, my second set of mpegs transformed from $16 to $21, but I like to support my lbs though so I do it when I can.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

4/4/2018 7:25 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/4/2018 7:26 AM

Okay. Thanks again, fellas. Think I'll pick up an affordable one for now ($40-$50) and wait for that featherweight ($70) to go on sale in the future. Never popped up when I was searching, so thanks for pointing it out. cool

|

4/4/2018 7:29 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/4/2018 7:34 AM

dead goon wrote:

Okay. Thanks again, fellas. Think I'll pick up an affordable one for now ($40-$50) and wait for that featherweight ($70) to go ...more

Just to be thorough... check ebay for the featherweight. I found one there fairly cheap compared to other online places I checked. I saw that Source has them listed for $60ish

Looks like they are going for about $57 shipped on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SHADOW-CONSPIRACY-CLASSIC-HELMET-ADULT-LG-XL-BMX-BIKE-BICYCLE-GLOSS-BLACK-NEW/311686810368?hash=item4891fb4b00:g:UFgAAOSwhOdXoSU4

Update: Sorry, that's the "Classic" not the Featherweight.

|

4/4/2018 7:30 AM

dead goon wrote:

Okay. Thanks again, fellas. Think I'll pick up an affordable one for now ($40-$50) and wait for that featherweight ($70) to go ...more

The good thing is, helmets are usually one-time use. So once you bonk your melon, you can go shop for a new one!

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

4/4/2018 7:34 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/4/2018 7:35 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Just to be thorough... check ebay for the featherweight. I found one there fairly cheap compared to other online places I ...more

Yup. Just found one for $60 on source. Going to look around a little more and most likely pull the trigger tonight. Cheers guys!

No worries. I don't fuck with ebay anyway.

|

4/4/2018 7:35 AM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

The good thing is, helmets are usually one-time use. So once you bonk your melon, you can go shop for a new one!

Behave. laughing

|

4/4/2018 7:39 AM

dead goon wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Just to be thorough... check ebay for the featherweight. I found one there fairly cheap compared to other online places I ...more

dead goon wrote:

Yup. Just found one for $60 on source. Going to look around a little more and most likely pull the trigger tonight. Cheers ...more

Just an FYI, the Helmets I saw on Ebay were from Master Blaster Planet. They are a legit source. I've used them (& others one the forum have too). Anyway, good luck! Protect the melon!

|

4/4/2018 7:46 AM

dead goon wrote:

Behave. laughing

He's serious.

The dense foam liner usually cracks or compresses after a solid crash, rendering the helmet useless.

It can take millions of small hits, but only one life-saving crash, usually.

My old helmet (can't recall the brand) basically fell apart when I tried to 270 a hip and washed out backwards onto my head. Wasn't even really that hard of a hit, like I think my head probably would have been fine if I hadn't been wearing a helmet, but I guess I hit it just right enough to crack & crumble the density foam.

That being said, that's what the density foam is there for. Don't buy an uncertified helmet (like most Protecs) and expect it to save your noggin from serious head injuries, it won't.

I personally prefer Bell or TSG "Flex" technology helmets. They are built from segmented density foam, instead of just one big piece, therefore provided more air-flow and a much more comfortable fit, while still offering the protection all helmets should have. I've had a TSG Kraken Flex, Bell Full Flex, Bell Reflex, & now a TSG Dawn Flex. The only one I dont recommend is the Bell Full Flex for its weight and price tag alone, thing is practically a motorcycle helmet.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

4/4/2018 8:03 AM

I have a DRS helmet and honestly can’t fault it (besides the fact that i hate how i look wearing helmet due to having a thin face but thats not the helmets fault and id rather be alive and functioning than die looking good)
Its really well ventilated, good design style, super comfy, its certified and only $39.95AUD ($30.76USD)

|

4/4/2018 8:09 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/4/2018 8:11 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

He's serious.

The dense foam liner usually cracks or compresses after a solid crash, rendering the helmet useless.

It can ...more

Wow.. Pro-tec helmets aren't certified? Their site says they are. Art least some of them. I had no idea. Of course, I'd never been a huge fan on their helmets from a looks perspective so I never went any further but they've been around so long, if I had wanted a helmet & only knew of Pro-tec (which a lot of people might due to marketing), I don't know that I would have even looked. I probably would have assumed. Good to know

|

4/4/2018 8:14 AM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

dead goon wrote:

Behave. laughing

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

He's serious.

It can ...more

Gotcha.I'll check there too. Thanks, Mishinn.

Oh, right on, Tim. Like I said, I've never worn a helmet before, so I just don't know. I was checking out the Bells, too. I wish the brand of motorcycle helmet I wear made BMX helmets.

|

4/4/2018 8:16 AM

dead goon wrote:

Behave. laughing

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

He's serious.

It can ...more

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Wow.. Pro-tec helmets aren't certified? Their site says they are. Art least some of them. I had no idea. Of course, I'd never ...more

They make certified helmets, but their really lightweight & popular models that I see most riders wearing are not.

People buy them because they feel like wearing nothing, and then they find out the hard way that it's because you're practically wearing nothing.. That super-soft memory foam stuff is NOT good protection against head injuries.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

4/4/2018 8:17 AM

dead goon wrote:

Behave. laughing

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

He's serious.

It can ...more

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Wow.. Pro-tec helmets aren't certified? Their site says they are. Art least some of them. I had no idea. Of course, I'd never ...more

They have certified and uncertified helmets. Their certified helmets are legit, but I don't know about the uncertified ones.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

4/4/2018 10:09 AM

I had a Pro-Tec Full Cut when I started but found it uncomfortable due to my head being in between sizes. Recently got the Shadow Classic and boy oh boy is it way more comfortable. Can’t recommend it enough. Looks the nuts as well in matte black

|

If you build it, they will come

4/4/2018 10:20 AM

I don't even know why they are allowed to make non-certified helmets. That's not a helmet. It's a hat. It meets no standards. Why would they do that? A lot of people don't even realize that their helmet is not certified.

Anyway, I have a Bell Segment and it is really comfy. It's not exactly low-profile though but not super bulky. My wife has a TSG and it's lighter and lower-profile but it feels weird on my head. Fits her perfectly. Just a different head shape I guess. Those Shadow helmets look really nice.

|

4/4/2018 10:27 AM

CHILDISHGAMBINO wrote:

I don't even know why they are allowed to make non-certified helmets. That's not a helmet. It's a hat. It meets no standards. ...more

EXACTLY! Frickin piece of shit uncertified helmets are pretty much hats! Companies should not be able to sell uncertified helmets....

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

4/4/2018 10:43 AM

dead goon wrote:

Hey guys, looking for a decent helmet to hit the skatepark with my man, Bigfoot4Pres. Anybody have any experience with the ...more

If you don't care about looks than check out Triple Eight. Their helmets perform well and are cheap but don't have lots of graphics on them.

|

4/4/2018 12:33 PM

dead goon wrote:

Hey guys, looking for a decent helmet to hit the skatepark with my man, Bigfoot4Pres. Anybody have any experience with the ...more

VenomousDancer1234 wrote:

If you don't care about looks than check out Triple Eight. Their helmets perform well and are cheap but don't have lots of ...more

Function over fashion, I always say. Plus, I'd prefer just a color, I can make my own graphics if I so pleased. Thanks, buddy. I'm checking them out now. They look very similar to the Pro-Tec's and price is good, too.

|

4/5/2018 2:20 PM

Uncertified helmets are literally like wearing a hat . You will die with one on , if you hit your head decently . A certified helmets is like 8x more effective than non certified and like 40x more than no helmet .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short