Help , Freecoaster too tight.

Related:
Create New Tag

3/30/2018 1:37 AM

My freecoaster was running smoothly but little loose , so i regreased it and put it back together but it became so tight the driver wouldnt spin and the bearings were too tight , and even if i loosened it, it was still too tight or so loose it could be loosened with fingers. Its not my first time regreasing and servicing my hub and i have Cult Match freecoaster. Non drive side bearings are ok and drive side bearings are ok too .

|

3/30/2018 2:38 AM

Watch_Doge wrote:

My freecoaster was running smoothly but little loose , so i regreased it and put it back together but it became so tight the ...more

I can't be sure if that coaster has a conical washer under the driveside cone or if it's built into the cone itself but did you put the conical washer on facing the right direction?

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/30/2018 9:53 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

I can't be sure if that coaster has a conical washer under the driveside cone or if it's built into the cone itself but did ...more

Yes the washer is the right way . Side with a spacer faces bearing and other one touches the frame .

|

3/30/2018 6:49 PM

Care to post some pictures of the hub? I have rebuilt one for a friend but I can't quite remember what was so different about it.

Are you tensioning the taper bearing right? A common mistake when maintaining those is to crank down on the taper bearing and destroy it.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/30/2018 7:12 PM

What hub is it..everyone I know that has had the shadow raptor coaster has had the same problem

|

3/30/2018 7:22 PM

NateBrown62 wrote:

What hub is it..everyone I know that has had the shadow raptor coaster has had the same problem

It's a Cult Match, OP doesn't say the version though.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

3/31/2018 2:32 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

Care to post some pictures of the hub? I have rebuilt one for a friend but I can't quite remember what was so different about ...more

I always tighten non drive side so it spins the bearing freely , then i put axle in the hub and tighten drive side , but this time its too tight or too loose.

|

3/31/2018 2:32 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

It's a Cult Match, OP doesn't say the version though.

Its V2 Male axle RHD

|

3/31/2018 12:21 PM

Check and make sure the driver bearing is pressed in all the way and that the non drive cone nut isn't too tight

|

3/31/2018 1:32 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

Care to post some pictures of the hub? I have rebuilt one for a friend but I can't quite remember what was so different about ...more

Watch_Doge wrote:

I always tighten non drive side so it spins the bearing freely , then i put axle in the hub and tighten drive side , but this ...more

I can't be sure as I don't have one of those hubs in front of me but that doesn't seem right. If you tighten the non-drive and then the driveside, you'll pull the axle too far through the hub, meaning when you tighten the driveside, it'll crush the driver bearings inwards.

Try tightening the driveside first and then non-driveside.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

3/31/2018 2:20 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

I can't be sure as I don't have one of those hubs in front of me but that doesn't seem right. If you tighten the non-drive and ...more

Shouldnt the non drive side cone press the bearing to the axle where it separates from the part of the axle where spacers sit , because if it does the cone shouldnt push or pull the axle. Photo
There you can see where bearing separates.
Photo
There you can see the internals of the hub.

|

3/31/2018 2:40 PM

Watch_Doge wrote:

Shouldnt the non drive side cone press the bearing to the axle where it separates from the part of the axle where spacers sit ...more

Not necessarily. The axle on some coasters can pull through too far when you tighten it down from the non-driveside first, just means that the non-driveside shoulder isn't perfectly machined. If you think about it, the non-drive cone is supposed to pull the axle through a little so that it can tension the taper bearing. So, if there's nothing stopping it from pulling the driver bearing shoulder too far, it can pull in too far and leave the problem you're having, where the driveside cone is basically crushing the driver bearings.

Just try it that way, you might be surprised.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson