Help Me Out With Hubs...

Related:
Create New Tag

1/10/2014 9:49 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/10/2014 10:51 PM

So, as some of you guys know, I'm building up a new bike. I want this thing to be PERFECT. Also, I hate any flex in any parts so I want everything to be as stiff as possible. I want to run 3/8" hubs front and back because I'm pegless so it'll save a bit of weight, plus the G-Sport volcano bolts are sexy. And NO, I am not buying Profile hubs.

I was originally planning to get 3/8" Tree Straight Pull hubs front and back. Then I noticed even the 9T has a 3/32" thread on cog... That's my question. Would the 3/32" thread on cog be bad for someone who occasionally does like to do big drops and gaps and such? I don't want to be worrying about the driver at all. The 14mm Tree cassette is out of the question because I won't have enough to get that since it's regular price. I REALLY like the straight pull hubs because they're nice and light, look awesome, and they're stiffer, stronger, and easier to lace.

The only other hubs I'm really considering are 3/8" Odyssey Antigrams. I like them, but they won't be as stiff as strong as the Trees. But they would be quite a bit cheaper. I don't want any shemale axles, too. I hate them with a passion.

TL;DR: Would there be an issue with the 9T 3/32" thread on cog on the Tree hubs for someone who rides pegless, yet still does occasional big drops and gaps? Keep in mind I want this build to be as perfect as possible.

Edit: I could also go for a 3/8" Ratchet and Simian.

Edit again: What about the new WTP Supremes?

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

1/10/2014 11:22 PM

Do you mean 3/32" Pitch? If so I'm fairly sure you can still run a 1/8" chain.

|

1/10/2014 11:47 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/10/2014 11:47 PM

BMX_Forever wrote:

They're 3/32" wide. You can still run a 1/8" chain but the main part I'm worried about is the fact that it's a threaded driver rather than one piece. I will be running 30/9 and I do pedal pretty hard. I have no idea how strong the threads are considering I've never ridden or even seen a hub that uses a thread on cog.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴

1/10/2014 11:51 PM

BMX_Forever wrote:

Xxohioanxx wrote:

They're 3/32" wide. You can still run a 1/8" chain but the main part I'm worried about is the fact that it's a threaded driver rather than one piece. I will be running 30/9 and I do pedal pretty hard. I have no idea how strong the threads are considering I've never ridden or even seen a hub that uses a thread on cog.

What like a 12t+ Cassette or the cog itself is threaded? Either way it should be fine I think.

|

1/10/2014 11:54 PM

Supremes all the way yo.. A lot of people said the v1s where a dream.. V2 can only be better, unless they pull a primo.. And make the v2 a pice of shit

|

Bang Bang bmx

1/11/2014 12:00 AM

BMX_Forever wrote:

What like a 12t+ Cassette or the cog itself is threaded? Either way it should be fine I think.

All the drivers, even the 9T are two piece. the main piece with the pawls and spring, then the teeth themselves thread on to that part. I thought it would be fine too, but I just want this build to be perfect haha.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴

1/11/2014 6:43 AM

Where did you read that? Tree hubs use 1pc drivers, they are no different than any other 3 pawl driver other than using ceramic bearings/bushings whatever. Get Tree front and back and be happy and satisfied.

|

1/11/2014 10:34 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/11/2014 10:34 AM

B(avaria)mx wrote:

Where did you read that? Tree hubs use 1pc drivers, they are no different than any other 3 pawl driver other than using ceramic bearings/bushings whatever. Get Tree front and back and be happy and satisfied.

On Trees site, Dans, and it's clearly visible on the pictures of the race hub. I don't think it'll be a big problem.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴

1/11/2014 12:09 PM

Just for the record, tree hubs are NOT easier to lace. I fucking hate those things when it comes to lacing.
But the Trees are bomb proof. Dont be an idiot though and get a 3/8 back hub. Get a 14mm female hub, it will only way MAYBE an ounce more and will be 10x more durable. The last thing you want is to hit a fat ass drop and snap a bolt in half. And if your THAT concerned about that ounce, cut the bolts in half. I dont think you necessarily need 2inches of threads.

Just got my Ratchet and love it. Arguably the most durable hub on the market, and surprisingly light. I love mine so far. I would definitely recommend it.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

1/11/2014 12:14 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Just for the record, tree hubs are NOT easier to lace. I fucking hate those things when it comes to lacing.
But the Trees are bomb proof. Dont be an idiot though and get a 3/8 back hub. Get a 14mm female hub, it will only way MAYBE an ounce more and will be 10x more durable. The last thing you want is to hit a fat ass drop and snap a bolt in half. And if your THAT concerned about that ounce, cut the bolts in half. I dont think you necessarily need 2inches of threads.

Just got my Ratchet and love it. Arguably the most durable hub on the market, and surprisingly light. I love mine so far. I would definitely recommend it.

I've never heard of anyone snapping a Hub bolt from anything other than Grinding or user error.

|

1/11/2014 12:16 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

I think they're WAY easier to lace, I loved building up my friends. Done in like 30 minutes haha. I hate building regular wheels.

I could probably save up the extra money for the 14mm rear. I just fucking hate the bolt design on the Tree hubs, with a fiery burning passion. It's like Sam sat down and said "Hmm, I wonder how ugly a bolt can possibly be." Also, I really don't like how they use a ratchet because my goal was to eliminate the ratchet completely. I wanted volcano bolts so I would only need a 3mm, 4mm, 5mm, and 6mm for my entire bike. I could probably get some of Bluesix's Ti bolts for them but that's even more money... egh. Yes I am being very picky about this build haha.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴

1/11/2014 1:44 PM

Going for a 3/8" Ratchet and Simian with G-Sport Volcano bolts. Built to Ribcages with DT Swiss spokes and G-Sport nips. Thanks for the help dudes.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴

1/11/2014 3:56 PM

Why the heck would you buy the race hub?

|

1/11/2014 4:03 PM

B(avaria)mx wrote:

Why the heck would you buy the race hub?

I don't run pegs. I thought the only difference between the regular and the race was the 3/8" bolts but I guess I was wrong. It was also quite a bit cheaper. But I'm getting a Ratchet for $145 shipped so that's even cheaper. I just really like the straight pull design of the Tree hubs but I can compromise. I think besides straight pull the Ratchet is better in every way.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴

1/11/2014 5:57 PM

Now slow down there Jesse, I didn't get to say my opinion yet. Clint Reynolds runs a 3/8 Tree hub with 30/9, and pedals fast, ect, ect. Get the damn Tree hubs

|

"Let it be heard: FOUR IS BACK MUH FUCKAZ"
Refs: Mobking, four, tomdon, Sickdude, xxOhioanxx onetrykid Krisner BMX
FBM Pizza Beer Roast Machine

1/11/2014 6:00 PM

Collin_McClenahan wrote:

Now slow down there Jesse, I didn't get to say my opinion yet. Clint Reynolds runs a 3/8 Tree hub with 30/9, and pedals fast, ect, ect. Get the damn Tree hubs

Too late.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴

1/11/2014 6:02 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/11/2014 6:03 PM

Collin_McClenahan wrote:

Xxohioanxx wrote:

Too late.

Fuq yu bigg boiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

JK ILY

|

"Let it be heard: FOUR IS BACK MUH FUCKAZ"
Refs: Mobking, four, tomdon, Sickdude, xxOhioanxx onetrykid Krisner BMX
FBM Pizza Beer Roast Machine

1/11/2014 6:07 PM

Collin_McClenahan wrote:

JK ILY

Haha. But really, I think the Simian/Ratchet is the better choice. They're not only cheaper and have a lifetime warranty, but they're going to be a stiffer and stronger hubset overall, and it'll even make the rear end of the Barcode even stronger. Plus they have bigger bearings which should last longer and roll smoother and faster. And I prefer the needle bearing driver over bushings. I'm really only missing out on the straight pull design of the Tree hubs. That is going to sacrifice some stiffness, but I think that would be good since the Barcode and such are already going to be stiff as fuck haha.

And get on Skype. Now. Dragon wants you.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴

1/11/2014 6:49 PM

trees

theyre solid as fuck, and I love mine

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

1/11/2014 6:56 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

Haha. But really, I think the Simian/Ratchet is the better choice. They're not only cheaper and have a lifetime warranty, but they're going to be a stiffer and stronger hubset overall, and it'll even make the rear end of the Barcode even stronger. Plus they have bigger bearings which should last longer and roll smoother and faster. And I prefer the needle bearing driver over bushings. I'm really only missing out on the straight pull design of the Tree hubs. That is going to sacrifice some stiffness, but I think that would be good since the Barcode and such are already going to be stiff as fuck haha.

And the G-Sport uses individually sprung pawls, the Tree uses a single C clip spring.

The 3/8" version of the Tree comes with a regular 9t driver though, not the race version.

If only you could get a hold of some of the OG Flybikes rear rims, those fuckers were not only crosslaced, but the holes were wide set for an even stiffer wheel

|

1/11/2014 7:00 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

And the G-Sport uses individually sprung pawls, the Tree uses a single C clip spring.

The 3/8" version of the Tree comes with a regular 9t driver though, not the race version.

If only you could get a hold of some of the OG Flybikes rear rims, those fuckers were not only crosslaced, but the holes were wide set for an even stiffer wheel

Yeah, I was gonna mention the individual springs, even though I'm not a fan of the way Ratchets engage I love the engagement system.

The Tree on their web store definitely has a 2 piece driver. I'm just not a fan of it. But anyways the Ratchet is already ordered so it's done.

I didn't really like the holes in the Fly rims. I prefer the Ribcages. Still gonna be bulletproof.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴

1/11/2014 8:01 PM

Collin_McClenahan wrote:

JK ILY

Xxohioanxx wrote:

sundaybmxRR wrote:

lol that's actually my rear wheel.

tree to fly

and I heart it

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "