Help a brother shop for used.... If you would want to....

Related:
Create New Tag

1/24/2020 9:53 AM

I wouldn't get too caught up in the specs. Toptube and chainstay and standover are important to look at first, IMO, but when you get down to the nitty-gritty things like headtube angles and seattube angles and things like that, I wouldn't worry.

You won't have any previous experience to compare it to, so you'll be comfy on it just fine.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @scootereyn // YouTube: Reyn Honbo - RH MEDIA

1/24/2020 11:03 AM

adamnmexican wrote:

so did you buy a bike?

No. My grandma passed away on Saturday. My Dad's Mom. He was an only child so I've been kind of busy with him and stuff and regular life stuff. The funeral is tomorrow.

In between that stuff I've been obsessively looking at all the different models and used stuff and talking to you guys. LOL.

|

1/24/2020 11:13 AM

readybmxer wrote:

I wouldn't get too caught up in the specs. Toptube and chainstay and standover are important to look at first, IMO, but when you get down to the nitty-gritty things like headtube angles and seattube angles and things like that, I wouldn't worry.

You won't have any previous experience to compare it to, so you'll be comfy on it just fine.

Well that's only partially true. I'm already used to how this cheap bike is set up. Although I think a better bike MIGHT help me manual easier. The chainstay's are longer. I'm at about 14.5" where the rear axle is now. I'm actually starting to get the feel for where the balance spot is.... So I'll have to relearn whatever new bike. I can't believe how short WTP bikes are......

My top tube is 20" presently. I'm pretty sure the 21"er I sat on, I don't prefer how long it is. I'm only 5'7". I'd rather stay closer to 20.5.

One of the bike shops by my will allow you to swap a Stolen Rampage hub for whatever is on the rear of a complete bike for an approx up charge of 60 bucks..... I wanna go and look at that place again cuz the last time I was there my budget was about half of what I have now and I didn't really look at what they had real close that was more expensive than my budget at the time.

But they have:
Cult Control, Gateway, Access, and Devotion.
WTP Arcade in a trans green that doesn't even show on WTP's website and Nova. ( I have to admit I'm drawn to the name Nova cuz we grew up with Chevy Nova's in my family. But I realize they are Hi-Ten and on the lower end of things. Plus WTP's prices seem like you pay more for less quality than other companies.... Or at least the specs seem like that.) For some reason I'm all about green right now.

And of course they have a Haro Blvd and Downtown DLX.

|

1/24/2020 4:09 PM

Fortyseven wrote:

Thanks for spotting that for me BSG. What would I do without you? The guy said he built it cuz he was bored....... He's saying the rims alone are worth 450...... but he's only selling for 500? Something don't add up.

I gotta show you guys something.... This morning I googled Kent Amazon just to see if I could see some specs on it. Which Amazon calls it "sturdy steel frame". I wonder if that's better than chromoly. Sturdy sounds pretty good. LOL. Just kidding. But I had to laugh when I read this review...... It just was funny to read to me:

"Don't buy it in Amazon buy it in Walmart it 88.00$ dollar and it ok for ride around it say that it not for stunting so if your box don't buy and you like to go fast it start fast in the beginning and it run out gear really quick if u buys this bike loosen the chain and tight middle part of the handle bar I'm 180 pounds I jump on speed bump and the handle part twisted and broke my toes listen alright"

He's actually right about a few things. The gearing is really low. It's like 43ish... I've got different bars on mine and they haven't moved yet cuz I tightened them down pretty good. But anyways... I got a laugh from the grammar. And it sounds like the poor guy broke his toes. I wonder if that was literally......

I have to admit, I sort have formulated a spec sheet in my mind about what I want and I'm not sure I can get it all without building one. But I think there are some that come close.... The big issue is that I feel like I really want a freecoaster....... Maybe I do need that downside...... Muwaaahaaaahahhaaa

I might just put a bunch a pictures of complete bikes up on my dart board and give it throw and see where the first dart lands....

Those rims alone are about $50 each, I just got a set for Christmas. Assuming decent hubs the wheel set might be $400 total if he got them custom built. They're super light rims though, great for flat or light park, maybe not for a heavier jumping bike, I haven't really stress tested them yet with winter and all.

|

Remember when you could ride all day and not be sore for a week?

1/24/2020 4:36 PM

I'm not understanding why you don't just buy the best bike in your budget.

|

1/24/2020 7:42 PM

CHILDISHGAMBINO wrote:

Partly this.

I totally get that you have your current bike, but regardless of what BMX you end up getting, they’ll all feel very different because you simply don’t have a BMX, it’s a department store 20” bike.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @scootereyn // YouTube: Reyn Honbo - RH MEDIA

1/24/2020 7:49 PM

CHILDISHGAMBINO wrote:

I still think Mishinn's Eastern is the best deal for him.

|

1/24/2020 9:02 PM

CHILDISHGAMBINO wrote:

Undesemin wrote:

I still think Mishinn's Eastern is the best deal for him.

Agreed.

|

1/26/2020 1:57 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/26/2020 2:02 PM

I knew sooner or later you guys would start to get antsy. My money, my bike. I appreciate all the comments and help. But I'm not sure why I would have to explain my process of buying something to you guys. You're not gonna get it. You're not me.

Plus honestly I can't believe you guys would have a hard time with me holding off this week since my Grandma just died. I meant WTF. ???

I've learned a boatload since I started this thread about what is out there, what is what and brands and there's a lot to learn. I currently ride a bike. Every day. Most days I'm working on my tricks, except for the nights that there is ice and gunk on the roads. I see no need to be in a big rush. If that bothers you, go pack sand.

|

1/26/2020 3:10 PM

Hey bro, we're all here for the same reason..

What you might feel as attempts to rush you into something, might be us just thinking out loud with some sarcasm involved. All just keeping the thread going, and some good points made along the way.

Hope your day gets better yo..

|

1/26/2020 3:12 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/26/2020 3:18 PM

Sorry if I took it wrong. I mean that sincerely. But I don't see why someone wouldn't understand why I didn't go buy one yet. It's in my time. I might hit a few more shops this week to sit on a few and touch and drool. I may buy online eventually though. Not really sure. I could go into my reasoning and thought process but honestly, it'll just open me up for more criticism and misunderstanding. I'll buy when I'm ready and if people don't understand that, it's not very cool, IMHO. People can spend their own money however they want.

I sent you a personal message. Just wanting to get your input on your bike. I'm looking for your bike check now. LOL. I had forgotten what your specs were.

|

1/26/2020 7:39 PM

|

1/26/2020 8:30 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/26/2020 8:36 PM

CHILDISHGAMBINO wrote:

It's this simple: If I take my whole stash and plop it down on say the downside, and I end up not liking the height of the bars, there's probably not going to be money in the budget to remedy that. At least not in the short term. I thought I pretty much said this several times. Just cuz people say it doesn't matter how high the bars are, I just don't agree at this point. Maybe some day I'll agree with that viewpoint but I don't now.

It would really help if I could be able to check some of these ones out in person that I'm interested in. I do have a few more shops I can go to. Plus the shop I went to last week said they're getting more in early February and it might be good to wait for that. I've also said this before.

I also said I was dealing with family stuff this week and that was going to hinder some of my shopping.

I mean if these reasons aren't good enough for you, I don't know what to say. I'm sorry I was harsh with my "go pack sand" comment. On the other hand, I don't really get why it's an issue that I haven't just gone and bought something already.

I have really enjoyed learning stuff. I learned a ton in the last week about what companies are out there, and what choices might be a good choice etc etc etc. And that's why I'm even taking the time to respond here and apologize for being harsh.

I would encourage you guys that have been into the sport for a long time to take a step back and realize that just cuz someone asks for help understanding what a good choice is, doesn't mean they're obligated to make the choice you like, when you want them to do it. I just don't get that. We all have lives, time schedules, obligations, budgets, desires that are going to be different from person to person. I like to take things slow when it comes to things spending 400-500 bucks on something that's not a NEED item for our family. That's just me. Now we spend all kinds of money on food without batting an eyelash. Cuz you you know, you need to eat.

And one more item that will probably irritate you. I'm decided I want a freecoaster. I moved that up toward the top of my list. Over color.... LOL. Some people might not like that and think it's dumb. But that's what I want.

|

1/26/2020 11:07 PM

No rush buying a bike right now anyway. The weather here in the midwest just keeps you inside majority of the time anyways. Yesterday it was freezing rain in the morning. Then by the afternoon it was like 35 degrees but everything was super wet out. Put a stop to my weekened skatepark trip.

|

1/27/2020 8:06 AM

I meant no offense. You just keep mentioning really low end bikes. I was just wondering why you don't think you should have the nicest bike available to you? Sorry if it sounded rude.

|

1/27/2020 8:27 AM

I didn't see any PM yet, but here's a link to my bike check..

https://m.vitalbmx.com/community/Black-Swamp-Ghost,162787/setup,92178

The geo on mine is almost identical to the Downside except my standover height is a tiny bit taller, possibly due to my 2.5 tires..

|

1/27/2020 8:28 AM

CHILDISHGAMBINO wrote:

I meant no offense. You just keep mentioning really low end bikes. I was just wondering why you don't think you should have the nicest bike available to you? Sorry if it sounded rude.

Thank you. I appreciate that.

I could go into my whole reasoning but if you think I'm wordy now.... LOL.

One thing is for sure, I like a good deal and sometimes waiting and being patient you might come across one. Like how BSG got a Liberty for a good deal. I know that might not happen, but I'm sort of holding out hope. Another thought hit me that some places might have last years models and might move them on sale. I found some like that on Albe's.

If I found a really good deal on like last years downside or something like that, that would be really cool. Albes has some freecoaster models that are on sale. Some were out of stock when I clicked on them but they had a Fit "Begin" And "Corriere".

|

1/27/2020 8:32 AM

quick16g wrote:

No rush buying a bike right now anyway. The weather here in the midwest just keeps you inside majority of the time anyways. Yesterday it was freezing rain in the morning. Then by the afternoon it was like 35 degrees but everything was super wet out. Put a stop to my weekened skatepark trip.

I just found out there is a park about 20 minutes from my house. In a spot I go by frequently. I was like waaaaaaa? I've been riding at night at home. I do my 2 mile ride regardless of weather but if there's snow and slipperyness I don't do bmx. I might see if that park is actually open lately. I mean on Christmas it was like 50 degrees and sunny. So thay may have kept it open. We've got more snow and wet lately though.

I rode my bmx last night though. I feel like my bunny hops are getting higher. I tried to get a video but my silly phone, the storage is full. LOL.

|

1/27/2020 8:47 AM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

The geo on mine is almost identical to the Downside except my standover height is a tiny bit taller, possibly due to my 2.5 tires..

Yeah, it's weird when I measured mishinns his cranks were at 12". But I'm pretty sure the site says 11.6. For some reason those tires on the Eastern LOOK bigger than 2.4. It's probably the big lettering. LOL.

Thanks for the link. I did find it yesterday.

|

1/27/2020 4:54 PM

Fortyseven wrote:

Yeah, it's weird when I measured mishinns his cranks were at 12". But I'm pretty sure the site says 11.6. For some reason those tires on the Eastern LOOK bigger than 2.4. It's probably the big lettering. LOL.

Yeah, I measured floor to the center of my spindle and it was 12", my specs say 11.7".. How are they measuring it?

|

1/27/2020 5:13 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/27/2020 5:21 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Yeah, I measured floor to the center of my spindle and it was 12", my specs say 11.7".. How are they measuring it?

It's because of your tires. Anyone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but bottom bracket height is all about how high your bottom bracket is relative to your axles plus the height of half a 20" wheel. So for you bsg, your bottom bracket would be 1.7 inches above your rear axle. The reason it's 11.7 is because they add 10" because of the 20" wheel. Bottom bracket height doesn't account for tires.

|

1/27/2020 5:13 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Fortyseven wrote:

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Different tyres at different pressures I’m assuming. Add to that small errors in measuring and it’s easily going to be different.

|

1/27/2020 5:16 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/27/2020 5:21 PM

Therefore, having fatter tires won't effect the feel of your BBH because it's all about how high your bb is relative to your dropout. So while the size of your tire won't effect the feel of your BBH, the thickness of your pedals will.

|

1/27/2020 5:28 PM

GTFO, that all makes sense, thanks..

|

1/27/2020 6:31 PM

We mean no harm, unfortunately it's the internet and words alone can't convey some things properly. Some guys here have Krooked thinking, but we're here to help.

|

1/28/2020 7:06 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/28/2020 7:12 AM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

GTFO, that all makes sense, thanks..

I'm trying to wrap my head around all of that and couldn't. LOL. The thing that doesn't make sense to me is Mishinns tires are stock. Yet it's still higher than they say. But only off by a bit. But I know I'm missing something in the translation.

Thanks readybmxer. I appreciate that. I thought of a way to say it simply this morning that might help understand. But the thing is I've already said these things a few times in this thread. But I guess it's 6 pages long so it's easy to forget.

The money thing: I could essentially use my stash for other projects around the house. I have several dead trees that are getting cut down, I need tires for my car, there are other projects we could do around the house. Mouths to feed, my daughter needs a car, and that list goes on and on. Spending money on myself is not an easy thing to do when there are other needs. I desire to do the proper thing for my family with money in general. Even though it's technically my fun money for Christmas and Birthday, it could always be used for normal things. Our budget has been razor tight these last few years. Basically, I want to buy a bike that is the least amount of money but safe. That was the whole point of this. If my bike is so cheap that could be dangerous to do tricks on, all I really need is one that will be safe. I could just change the forks and stem out. Plus get bars that fit. But if I do that I'd be spending a good chunk of what it costs for a complete. So, even though you guys might not understand why I'd get a lower end complete, as long as whatever I get is safer than my crappy bike, then I'm good with it. I THINK most completes by decent BMX manufactures would be a big improvement over my bike. Or maybe I'm wrong. Yes, all chromo would last longer and be a better bike. No doubt. But what I'm trying to do is get a bike for the least amount of money that is an improvement over my piece of junk that will be safe. So hopefully I said that in enough ways to help that sink in. Cuz if for some reason I buy something that's not all chromo and not ever bearing is sealed cuz i wanna keep some money back for other things, some of you might be disappointed, but like I say, my money, my life. My money problems. I gotta be the one that lives with it. I'm not saying all that cuz I want people to tell me what to do. I'll do what I think is best. But before this last week started I didn't know jack about a lot of the bikes out there and you guys helped me learn, along with lots of youtube watching and internet shopping. And a bit of in store shopping.

Now, the flipside of that is because I'm buying something new-ish and shiny, I want to like it... LOL. I know I probably can't have my cake and eat it too, But again that's up to me. I may be selfish and spend it all on myself for once.....

See.... I thought I could say it simply but it just got wordy. LOL. Oh well.

|

1/28/2020 7:18 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/28/2020 7:20 AM

It is not lost on me that mishinns bike is the best bang for the buck I've got offered to me and I really appreciate that. But I wanted to shop around to make sure of what I want. And I made it clear I didn't expect him to just hold it for me if someone else wanted to buy it. I understand I takes my chances as far as time frame goes. But he's been super great.

|

1/28/2020 11:30 AM

A freecoaster is gonna drain most of your budget I would think. Have you looked at a Kink Gap FC on Source? I made an account with them while looking around and got a 10% off coupon in my email that same day. Ended up ordering a Kink Whip complete and a Backwoods 21.5” frame to transfer the parts onto.

The Gap FC is $399 but would come out to ~$360 after the discount. Not full chromo or sealed hubs/dw rims but light years ahead of what you’re currently on. Just something to consider if you can put up with the red tires lol.

Kink Gap FC - Source BMX

|

1/28/2020 2:19 PM

"I'm trying to wrap my head around all of that and couldn't. LOL. "

What Undesemin is saying is..

If you pull a string tight from the center of your front axle to your back axle, and then measure from the string up to the center of your spindle (mine should be 1.7") then add half of 20" it should equal your BB height = 11.7" for my Kink Williams.

Make sense yet?

|

1/28/2020 4:21 PM

RagingMotoholic wrote:

A freecoaster is gonna drain most of your budget I would think. Have you looked at a Kink Gap FC on Source? I made an account with them while looking around and got a 10% off coupon in my email that same day. Ended up ordering a Kink Whip complete and a Backwoods 21.5” frame to transfer the parts onto.

The Gap FC is $399 but would come out to ~$360 after the discount. Not full chromo or sealed hubs/dw rims but light years ahead of what you’re currently on. Just something to consider if you can put up with the red tires lol.

Kink Gap FC - Source BMX

YES! That is one that I wouldn't mind and that is a really good price! At first I didn't like how it looks but, meh.... Seeins how I want to go freecoaster I'm trying to make looks less important cuz there's only so many options.

I went to a local shop today and rode a Gap and Gap XL in the parking lot. They let me and I liked them both. I could possibly live with the bars at the height they are at.... I do feel like I'd like to go a little bit taller. I'm not going to say I felt a huge difference between the two but I do feel like the smaller felt better to me. On the other hand the XL did not feel bad.

It's nice to be able to have a close look at what you want to buy. Instead of just seeing it online. That particular shop said they used to stock like over 100 bmx bikes but it's just not as popular any longer so they'r down to like 15.....

|