Help an awesome Dad buy his son a good 20" bike

Related:
Create New Tag

8/9/2018 6:33 PM

My son's 12th birthday is coming up and i'd like to get my son a bmx bike. He has been riding a 1984 diamondback turbolite but now wants something newer. Watching him ride his turbolite brought me joy but i think he wants a style more like what his friends have.. He is 4'10" and weighs around 85lbs. He mostly cruises but he is showing some interest in street/park type of stuff.

I have searched like crazy and have determined that the top suggested picks are:
Hoffman Bama - 20.75tt. Too big?
Easton Shovelhead which is sold out pretty much everywhere and also has a 20.85"tt. Again, too big
Kink Whip - 20.5"tt ... a little better but still too big?

Kink curb - 20"tt but cheaper parts. No chromoly
Fit STR - i dont know much about this one other than it has a 20"tt

I'd like to stick to a 20" wheel and max 20.25"tt if possible on a complete bike with good components and as much chromoly as possible.

I am not against building a custom so if you have some good builder frame suggestions toss them out.

Throw me some suggestions

|

8/9/2018 6:37 PM

I'd go with the King Whip brotha... just as long as he's not trying to do tricks cuz it'll be kind of big for him since he's 4 foot 10. But if he's interested in doing tricks later down on the road then the Kink whip will be perfect for him once he's a bit taller!

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

8/9/2018 7:17 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

I'd go with the King Whip brotha... just as long as he's not trying to do tricks cuz it'll be kind of big for him since he's 4 ...more

Agreed, either the kink whip or the bama, though the whip is probably a more solid option since it’ll last him as long as the bama but it won’t fit him as well later on (but honestly, bmx is a now thing, not a later thing lol)

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

8/9/2018 10:39 PM

To add, I fully back the Whip. I've been running my 2013 Whip frame for five years now, nothing has gone wrong. smile

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

8/10/2018 12:19 AM

Unfortunately, there's not many completes out there that are good with a short toptube. I've looked too, for my son. I'm getting to the point of trying to build him a custom out of second hand parts, but I'm struggling to find a second hand frame that's worth getting!

|

8/10/2018 5:27 AM

Yeah, tough call on the TT size. I think you'd probably be best off if you bought a decent complete that fits him, even if it is a hi-tens frame, etc...; It will probably serve him well four quite some time & later, perhaps you could buy an aftermarket frame (and fork... and bars) as he progresses. I just think it would be a waste to buy into a full chromoly rig (assuming you could find one without going custom) only to have him outgrow it (the used market is a dumping ground & you won;t get much in resale).

|

8/10/2018 6:42 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Unfortunately, there's not many completes out there that are good with a short toptube. I've looked too, for my son. I'm ...more

I got a old KHE maseto frame you can have if you want mate? Sat in my loft collecting dust

|

8/10/2018 7:33 AM

philbaines wrote:

I got a old KHE maseto frame you can have if you want mate? Sat in my loft collecting dust

That's a great deal! Unfortunately, I'm not sure if shipping would kill it (the the OP's location of California) & we don't know what skill level of "bike builder" he is.

|

8/10/2018 7:36 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Unfortunately, there's not many completes out there that are good with a short toptube. I've looked too, for my son. I'm ...more

philbaines wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

That's a great deal! Unfortunately, I'm not sure if shipping would kill it (the the OP's location of California) & we ...more

I think he wants to give it to Steve... thats who he quoted lol

|

8/10/2018 7:45 AM

philbaines wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

That's a great deal! Unfortunately, I'm not sure if shipping would kill it (the the OP's location of California) & we ...more

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

I think he wants to give it to Steve... thats who he quoted lol

Oh.... right..... I forgot, Steve was looking for a bike for his kid too.

|

8/10/2018 8:14 AM

I build bikes but mostly early 80s stuff.

What are your thoughts on me buying a cheaper frame that fits him and buying quality components that I can move onto better frames as he grows?
Any recommendations?

|

8/10/2018 8:17 AM

riggidy wrote:

What are your thoughts on me buying a cheaper frame that fits him and buying ...more

If it where me, I’d build him a decently spec’d 18” wheel bike.

A decent bike that fits > than an awesome bike that doesn’t.

|

8/10/2018 8:17 AM

riggidy wrote:

What are your thoughts on me buying a cheaper frame that fits him and buying ...more

Could buy a short 20 inch chromoly frame that would be better for him than a longer frame then build it up with a united supreme parts kit

|

8/10/2018 8:22 AM

riggidy wrote:

eskimojay wrote:

Could buy a short 20 inch chromoly frame that would be better for him than a longer frame then build it up with a united ...more

This! Although it depends if it's in your budget. Still cheaper than a custom though, and you can just get a longer frame when he grows. I reckon a 20" wheeled bike would be a touch too big. But an 18" will get too small, and they weigh a ton for the size of em

|

8/10/2018 8:25 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

philbaines wrote:

That would be flipping awesome! I'm organising a jam for next weekend, so I'm skint until after that. Or I could trade something for it?

|

8/10/2018 8:36 AM

riggidy wrote:

eskimojay wrote:

Could buy a short 20 inch chromoly frame that would be better for him than a longer frame then build it up with a united ...more

This is an interesting idea ... this kit appears to only be available in the UK. Are there any decent kits like this in the US?

|

8/10/2018 8:43 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

philbaines wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

That would be flipping awesome! I'm organising a jam for next weekend, so I'm skint until after that. Or I could trade ...more

Just cover the postage mate-I’ll drop you a message on insta

|

8/10/2018 8:45 AM

riggidy wrote:

eskimojay wrote:

riggidy wrote:

This is an interesting idea ... this kit appears to only be available in the UK. Are there any decent kits like this in the ...more

Just did a quick google search their is a stolen bikes x fiction parts kit on Albes mail order that is in the United States

|

8/10/2018 9:18 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/10/2018 10:02 AM

Hey.... OP, I found a 2018 FIT Nordstrom for sale locally here. It's a full crmo bike with a 20.25" TT. Sounds ideal for your kid.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2073029329588676

If you were interested, I could look at it for you & be sure it's all legit. Could probably get it & send it out to you too.

|

8/10/2018 9:55 AM

Did you just call yourself awesome?

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG
@curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop

8/10/2018 10:05 AM

Also found this steal (local to me... but same sorta deal could apply).

This one has a 20.5" TT:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/281065956000128?surface=product_details

|

8/10/2018 10:38 AM

Thanks for the used suggestions. I’d rather buy a used bike locally though.

“Did you just call yourself awesome?”
Every dad who bmx’s with his son is awesome. No?

|

8/10/2018 10:45 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Hey.... OP, I found a 2018 FIT Nordstrom for sale locally here. It's a full crmo bike with a 20.25" TT. Sounds ideal for your ...more

Honestly, I’d go for that deal, $180 for a Nordstrom (especially a brand new one) is a damn good deal, you aren’t likely to find a better deal than that.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

8/10/2018 1:05 PM

riggidy wrote:

Every dad ...more

I agree, I'm pretty damn awesome!

|

8/10/2018 1:27 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

philbaines wrote:

If grumpysteve does not want the frame I’ll gladly take it off your hands!

|

8/10/2018 5:39 PM

riggidy wrote:

Every dad ...more

grumpySteve wrote:

I agree, I'm pretty damn awesome!

But your son already has a bike (and knowing you enough parts for all the bikes he has until 20)

|

Hmmm

8/14/2018 5:49 PM

I found a 2018 fit dugan for $250. 20.25”tt, full chromoly. Pull the trigger or no?

|

8/14/2018 6:41 PM

riggidy wrote:

I found a 2018 fit dugan for $250. 20.25”tt, full chromoly. Pull the trigger or no?

Offer $180-$200 and itll be good

|

8/14/2018 8:20 PM

Stay away from the Bama please just purchased one and highly advise against it. Your son is only 85lbs and 4'10' so chromoly parts are going to kind of pointless as he will probably only put on 50lbs over the next few years unless he hits a massive growth spurt use your judgement on how tall you're and think when you sprouted. Over the next few years he will go through parts if he continues riding, so I would honestly go with the Kink Curb for the 20" TT maybe the Whip 20.5" but keep in mind he might not stick with it and if he does you will have plenty of birthdays & Christmas's to upgrade parts.

|