Help choosing a bmx bike

Related:
Create New Tag

1/12/2017 8:00 PM

I'm fairly new to BMX biking, I've been riding mountain bikes all my life so I'm an experienced rider but I want to do street tricks and go to my local skate park. The nicest one I've seen so far is this one:

https://www.danscomp.com/products/102739/2017_Kink_Launch_Bike.html

I also like this one because the price point is appealing:

http://www.the-house.com/qfrattx20bkyl16zz-framed-bmx-bikes.html

My price limit is around $300. I'm 6 foot 1 inch and I weigh 170 lbs. I want the best quality I can find at this price. Every single bike I've ever owned, I always tear the shit out of them because I'm a rough rider. I understand this is a pretty low price limit, but I just started working.

Thanks for helping.

|

1/12/2017 8:19 PM

do not get the framed.....please

|

1/12/2017 8:25 PM

JRsmoothee wrote:

do not get the framed.....please

Is Framed known for being a bad company?

|

1/12/2017 9:24 PM

I dont know much about the brand framed but i would say the kink launch is a somewhat better bike

|

1/12/2017 9:30 PM

ina wrote:

I dont know much about the brand framed but i would say the kink launch is a somewhat better bike

Alright thanks, thats probably what im going to buy

|

1/13/2017 5:18 AM

you might want to save a bit more money or widen the budget to allow for a full chromoly skeleton on your bike. If you are an experienced MTBer, you might expect the BMX to last through some big landings. The hi-tensile steel is not as strong as Chromo, so there is the possibility that things will break. For me at least, I would rather invest more on the onset to save more down the road.

Things to look for in a BMX bike:
All of the skeletal structure that is going to bear weight should be full chromoly:
full frame -> front triangle(TT, DT, ST) AND seat stay and chainstay....full Chromoly
fork: both the steering tube and the legs...full Chromoly
the handle bars...full Chromoly
the crank arms and pedal axels....full Chromoly

Rims should be double walled for sure
Sealed bearings in the hubs and bottom bracket

For me, these are the MOST important things to look for to give you the best return on your investment. Every thing after this is “eye candy” to me at least.

After structure, geometry is the next most important thing.

The Kink is more trusted than the Framed, but hi-tensile is always less strong than Chromoly. As mentioned, I would rather get a good skeletal structure with so-so parts since the parts are expected to wear, and then can be replaces with higher quality parts. You want the skeleton to last a long time

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

1/13/2017 6:23 AM

sXeBMXer wrote:

you might want to save a bit more money or widen the budget to allow for a full chromoly skeleton on your bike. If you are an ...more

Yea I've been doing a lot more research and I agree. I'll save up some more. Thanks!

|

1/13/2017 8:40 AM

sXeBMXer wrote:

you might want to save a bit more money or widen the budget to allow for a full chromoly skeleton on your bike. If you are an ...more

Dobblinn wrote:

Yea I've been doing a lot more research and I agree. I'll save up some more. Thanks!

Good call

|