Help finding info about this hub

Related:
Create New Tag

12/14/2013 11:05 PM

Well I got this rim and hub from a from a friend . It was the original one that was put on his bike when he bought his bike at our local bike shop... Unlike other hubs I've seen this one has the pawls on it are located in the hub and C clip or spring thing that holds them in . The hub has a sealed bearing on both sides but the drivers unsealed . Reason my friend stopped using the wheel was because when he took it apart he lost a bearing and then eventually everything got messed up etc. long story short has anyone else seen a hub like this or know what brand this one could possibly be by any chance . Taking it to our local bike shop wouldn't do much they mainly put the bikes together.

The pawls and axle have been tooken out in the pic. And yeah I know the rim and hub aren't trued I had it unlaced the just put it together so I wouldn't loose it

Photo

Photo

Any help would be appreciated

|

12/14/2013 11:24 PM

Hmm order some new bearing balls? It is a pretty interesting thing. Unsealed driver but sealed hub. Normal Semi Sealed hubs have only one sealed bearing and the rest are looseball. Probably from some stock bike.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

12/14/2013 11:34 PM

stock/generic hub. nothing special. I THINK, but am not positive, that it uses 3/16" loose ball bearings behind the driver, then 1/8" loose ball bearings on the outside. I can't remember offhand. See if the shop can verify that at all, and order you some bearings in. If you have to do it yourself, be sure to grease it up nicely too and don't make the driver too tight.

are you sure the other side is a sealed bearing too? every hub I've seen like that was 1 sealed bearing on the side in your picture, then unsealed loose ball bearings on the other side

|

12/14/2013 11:37 PM

Yeah , our bike shop usually puts the parts on thier bikes but don't sell products supporting it .and that's what I hopefully plan on doing is getting new bearings but I forgot to mention the old c spring or clip is all messed up so I would need to find another one as well

|

12/14/2013 11:39 PM

And yeah it had a sealed bearing on the other side and where you see it in the pic but the driver isn't

|

12/14/2013 11:53 PM

Vfajardo wrote:

Yeah , our bike shop usually puts the parts on thier bikes but don't sell products supporting it .and that's what I hopefully plan on doing is getting new bearings but I forgot to mention the old c spring or clip is all messed up so I would need to find another one as well

I would have guessed the spring is messed up, every hub I've worked on at the shop using one of those is either broken or really worn out.

Home Depot or another hardware store should also carry ball bearings, try there and find the sizes I listed if your shop can't verify for sure. I cannot remember offhand if those are 100% correct, but I'm fairly sure.

|

12/15/2013 9:09 AM

Oh ok I'll try that thanks for the help . And I'm so dumb I looked at it again and it is unsealed on the opposite side. I guess I was thinking about my current hub when I replied it was sealed on both sides

|