Help identifying cranks

Related:
Create New Tag

5/11/2013 2:13 AM

Hey,

Wasn't sure to post this here or the How-to section.

The guy I bought the cranks off said they were Primo but there's a couple reasons why I believe they're not.

Differences are; they're 19mm and a completely different axle, they have holes for microdrive but the holes aren't tapped/threaded and they've got the original paint, but no Primo markings.

Similarities are; they have the steel pedal inserts, the dual pinch bolts and the general crank arm design is very similar.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex
Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

5/11/2013 2:54 AM

They look like power bites too me.... But 19mm axel hmmmm that's wierd

|

5/11/2013 2:55 AM

look like primo excells

|

[LINK TO IMAGE]

follow me on instagram! @neck_brace
also go like my media page on facebook! jiraffe media
also follow jiraffe media on insta! @jiraffe_media

5/11/2013 3:04 AM

king_swag wrote:

look like primo excells

I had to have a double look then made but excel cranks only have 1 sprocket hold above the spindle hole not 2 like these do

|

5/11/2013 3:13 AM

lilchrissyy wrote:

They look like power bites too me.... But 19mm axel hmmmm that's wierd

Can't be Powerbites as there's no Primo engraved into the crank arm.

Can't be Excels because Excels have 1 pinch bolt, not 2.

|

5/11/2013 6:16 AM

These are excels they don't matchPhoto

|

5/11/2013 6:27 AM

I THINK not 100% sure but Demolition made a Powerbite copy years ago, i cant remember their name but they were Nate Wessels signature cranks.

|

5/11/2013 6:28 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/11/2013 6:30 AM

They could be Weston cranks. Weston has a crank design that's very similar to the primo but idk if the spindle is 19mm

Edit: not Weston cycles cranks. It's possible someone machines these themselves?

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

5/11/2013 6:35 AM

They aren't Weston cranks. Weston cranks don't have the duel holes where the sprocket bolt goes.
Couldn't find anything about the Demolition cranks.

Thanks for the help so far.
The search continues!

|

5/11/2013 6:53 AM

they arent demolition either. even those had a 22mm spindle.

|

5/11/2013 6:58 AM

look like hollowbites to me. the way the spindle is made exactly the same as hollowbites

|

[LINK TO IMAGE]">

]Refs- Dirt Nasty, RideBmxWithSWAG, FOUR, Ron44ald, TCbmx(x2), Manny5569, JMIES419, aw1234512(x2), the balt, Spikez5(x2), ecuadevil(x2), Showtime402, RiverSideRider

5/11/2013 7:01 AM

JakeSalbert wrote:

look like hollowbites to me. the way the spindle is made exactly the same as hollowbites

Hollowbites are 22mm, these are 19mm and again with the dual sprocket holes. Hollowbites just have the one.
Also, no Primo markings however there is the L/H 170mm markings with original anodising.

|

5/11/2013 7:12 AM

those are the shadow noctis crancks copy of the hollowbites

|

5/11/2013 7:15 AM

maxim.kruti wrote:

those are the shadow noctis crancks copy of the hollowbites

Shadow's have Shadow engraved in the side, a 16 spline axle and are 22mm. Plus the second sprocket bolt whole is threaded and smaller for microdrive. The hole on these isn't threaded and is the same size.

|

5/11/2013 7:40 AM

have you tried retracing the purchase line? like ask your friend where he got em and keep going back till you get to someone who knows. its the only way i can think of to find an answer. or try bmxmuseum, they always seem to know

|

5/11/2013 7:45 AM

tomdon wrote:

have you tried retracing the purchase line? like ask your friend where he got em and keep going back till you get to someone who knows. its the only way i can think of to find an answer. or try bmxmuseum, they always seem to know

I haven't yet, no! The guy I got them off seemed to be a bit clueless when it came to bikes.
Bmxmuseum looks like a good bet, I was searching around there earlier, thanks!

|

5/11/2013 9:12 AM

Yeah Weston square spindles just went into production, my dude is sponsored by them and wants them but they only have 48 splines right now. Idk I feel like they are prototype powerbites then primo said we want 22mm.

|

I seek progression, not perfection.

Refs:Beastassdickwink~Dk/oldschool908~TheLilozzy~jaypee23~Bstick~agfracing~MoyBoy5~RIDE a BIKE~wade5~Mattmuldoon@hotmail.com x2~jakebikes~ joe loves shadow~ diss diqq~ k1ng~fly for life x2~spikez5~four~jb07~mike duda~ DORbmx~ bobPA~superstarDK

5/11/2013 9:56 AM

primo pro cranks without the painted logo

|

5/11/2013 9:58 AM

stay f-it wrote:

primo pro cranks without the painted logo

19mm though?
I think these might be some old prototypes that some guy bought at some sale.

|

"Are they punkin' me Tio, are they punkin' me?"

5/11/2013 5:41 PM

Email Primo and ask if it's theirs. Couldn't hurt, maybe they were a one off or some really old set or something. Only other thing I can think of are sealed mountain bike cranks cause they typically have a smaller square spindle. I really don't know

|

5/11/2013 5:50 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/11/2013 5:51 PM

Ahahahaha i am brilliant! They are infact GT cranks that Primo eventually copied.

http://bmxmuseum.com/forsale/17312#.UY7nSbVJPNs

Edit: BTW look at how much the dude is asking for them! You my friend have landed on a gold mine!

|

5/11/2013 5:56 PM

Topsey wrote:

Ahahahaha i am brilliant! They are infact GT cranks that Primo eventually copied.

Edit: BTW look at how much the dude is asking for them! You my friend have landed on a gold mine!

Eh dude they don't seem to be the same ones, they have different spindles and the arms on the GT ones have only 1 sporcket bolt hole.

|

5/11/2013 5:59 PM

Topsey wrote:

I knew those weren't primo. I was thinking some weird early prototype Powerbites.

BH wtf, you should know these things by now. Get back on your A game and stop looking at picks of chicks wearing skimpy GT apparel.

|

FREE not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes
STYLE a particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode of action or manner of acting

5/11/2013 6:03 PM

Definitely look like the GT ones but there's subtle differences.

[LINK TO IMAGE]

a google search came up with a brand named Blank that had very similar cranks as well as they were just knock off primos but I don't think they were it either. Haro Fusion looked like it too but had a few differences too. The spindle is what's really weird, I've seen a 48 spline like that before but not a square one

|

5/11/2013 6:06 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/11/2013 6:13 PM

andyferly wrote:

Eh dude they don't seem to be the same ones, they have different spindles and the arms on the GT ones have only 1 sporcket bolt hole.

On second glance, yeah they're not GT. Those chrome ones don't have that black pedal boss either. Plus the shape of op's cranks resemble primos a lot. Even that white '170mm' font. I think they're prototype powers.

BH I apologize for insulting you vast knowledge of GT parts and accessories. Resume looking at pics of chicks in skimpy GT clothes.

|

FREE not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes
STYLE a particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode of action or manner of acting

5/11/2013 6:18 PM

Weird, the spindle & bolts i posted in the link are identical but the crank arms aren't 100% the same. Im still going with they are some form of GT Power Series cranks though.

|

5/11/2013 6:21 PM

Topsey wrote:

Weird, the spindle & bolts i posted in the link are identical but the crank arms aren't 100% the same. Im still going with they are some form of GT Power Series cranks though.

The ones from the link you posted seem to also have a different spindle, if you look closely it seems like the spindle has threads on it and it must screw onto something, while this one doesn't.

|

5/11/2013 6:24 PM

Topsey wrote:

andyferly wrote:

The ones from the link you posted seem to also have a different spindle, if you look closely it seems like the spindle has threads on it and it must screw onto something, while this one doesn't.

Cause his pic had a spindle for American unsealed bb

|

5/11/2013 6:27 PM

Topsey wrote:

andyferly wrote:

tomdon wrote:

Cause his pic had a spindle for American unsealed bb

Makes sense, but the crank arms are still different.
I'm still going for the prototype Primos, might as well be some knock off.

|

5/11/2013 6:28 PM

At the end does it really matter as long as they ride fine.

|