Help me choose tires and braces advice

Related:
Create New Tag

2/3/2017 2:08 PM

Hey Vital ,

Been starting to get back into riding a bit more after having a break , it feels better than when I stopped and I feel like pushing myself / scaring myself is the way to keep it fun and entertaining . The Canadian winter just hit AGAIN .. so it'll be a bit until I'm actually able to ride ( this is currently what I see out my window )

Photo

I'm planning on picking up some new tires asap , because my current Éclat predators are mediocre at best . Was super stoked to try them , got them the 2nd day they were available here but they're too slippery for me .

I'm ordering off 3ride , I'm thinking about picking up WTP Stickin tires which my friend has that I really like , WTP haven't given me any issues with all the parts I rode by them , the tires are 44$ each and I like the look and they seem to be pretty durable.

The second choice are Animal T1 tires , they're 50$ which is kinda the absolute max I'd want to spend . They come in 2.2 which I want compared to 2.4 , I think I'd like them a lot but the only thing holding me back is hearing about the dual compound because I'm kinda anal about having tires last a decent amount of time and I think that might affect durability . I really like them though .

Lastly I might end up getting some cheaper tires like Ceneca tires which are like 25$ and come in 2.4 and look really good , but they seem like they might be slippery ? And 2.4 is big and they look FAT blown up . But I like the price point . There's also Saltplus tires for like 28$ or something each , they seem good for the price and it's a we make things company so the fact that I trust Éclat and WTP makes me have some faith that these should be ok . I'm not sure if it's better to spend 50$ each on "better" tires or just keep try cheaper ones . I'm not riding everyday currently .

Secondly , I'm getting braces probably at the end of the month . I'm concerned that if I faceplant that it's gonna fuck it up and my teeth are already fucked as is . Any advice ? I haven't had a good fall in a while and I have a feeling this summer I might end up getting a good face to concrete action . I don't want to ride with a mouth guard because that'll be annoying as fuck and look wack , but at the same time the least thing I want it going OTB and have my teeth hanging out of my mouth still in the wire . I'd have them for like 2 years ... might just say fuck it and ride it and if I fall I fall haha .

Sorry I make these long but don't make a lot so shoutout to those who actually read this haha , let me know your thoughts on both please !

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

2/3/2017 2:23 PM

For tires, I'd say Eclat fireballs (I've been riding a pair for a few weeks, and I really like them. Grippy, not too heavy, look good, nice sidewalls for grinding, and very little rolling resistance) or cult vans. But the Animal T1 tires seems like a good choice.

I wouldn't know what to say about braces though.

|

“Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen”
-Indiana Tom

2/3/2017 2:30 PM

Can't help with the tires because I don't care tongue , but if you're unwilling to wear a mouth guard your only other option is a full-face helmet. Suddenly, the mouth guard doesn't seem so bad.

|

2/3/2017 3:46 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/3/2017 3:47 PM

i have braces and im always worried about faceplanting cause if you eat shit, pretty much all your teeth will fall out because they are connected and the wire will fuck your lips and mouth even more
you cant use mouth guard tho because they are not designed to fit with braces

thats basically the main reason why i dont go big lol

|

2/3/2017 3:57 PM

I wear a full face. End of story! As far as tires go, I love the Animal GLH

|

2/3/2017 4:12 PM

@Dan Funny because I had Fireballs like the first week the came out too and they were ok but didn't last that long on my opinion . I had the Stevie version though and supposedly the new ones without him are updated and are a bit better . Probably not going to get another Éclat tire for a while.

@tiho there is a multitude of mouthguards that work with braces and even provide warranty upwards of 50 000$ if something happens , not exactly how it works though . But it's like 60$ although I can get one from my work for cheap . You have to pay to get your orthodontist to custom fit it too . I might just get one if I'm going big haha , I don't want a full face helmet at all.

|

My Cult 2 Short

2/3/2017 4:19 PM

tiho wrote:

i have braces and im always worried about faceplanting cause if you eat shit, pretty much all your teeth will fall out because ...more

You can absolutely use a mouth guard with braces. There are companies who make mouth guards specifically to accommodate braces, and some orthodontists can make you custom ones as your teeth correct. Classic boil-n-bite? Maybe not. Ask your orthodontist.

|

2/3/2017 4:36 PM

tiho wrote:

i have braces and im always worried about faceplanting cause if you eat shit, pretty much all your teeth will fall out because ...more

GMGuinn wrote:

You can absolutely use a mouth guard with braces. There are companies who make mouth guards specifically to accommodate ...more

i was talking about classic mouth guards (ive tried few and it just doesnt fit right) , never heard about those tho but i feel like it would be too thick

|

2/3/2017 6:24 PM

Look at maxxis risers I just got one for the front and like it a lot so far. Out my window looks just like that. I've been out at least a couple times a week building snow jumps. It's so much fun.

|

2/5/2017 8:02 PM

Photo

Anyone think these will grip ok ? 2.4 and less than 2lbs a tire which is ok , I can get them for cheap which is good .
|

My Cult 2 Short

2/5/2017 8:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/5/2017 8:24 PM

Less than 2 pounds a tire? 36 oz is 2 pounds. I wouldn't buy them because they are full of shit. They should replace "lightest" with "heaviest".I would never ride any tires over 25oz that actually heavy to me. Mine are 19oz right now and feel great, and they were on sale. Both Tioga Street block, and maxxis risers. Paid about $18 a piece for them and they are both $35 tires.
As for braces, don't fall on your mouth, is that an issue for you? Then wear a mouthguard. Pretty simple. Trust me I've been punched in the mouth with braces, and needed stitches inside my mouth. Not fun, but how often are you falling on your mouth? If you were an MMA fighter then you could worry. I think that's a silly question.

|

2/6/2017 6:58 AM

bsd donnachie tires, grippy as heck even on the ice rink of a concrete floor in our park.
As for the Ceneca, I've never had a 65psi tire that didn't make me slip around like a stooge, so if grip is a concern I'd be wary unless you can get a verdict on them. And then there's the part where you'll be stuck riding low psi.

|

2/6/2017 8:05 AM

If you were still interested in the animal x T1 id just have to say that IMO they were not THAT great as all the promo made me think it would be. Cant lie I dont think they've work down one bit and I still use them as spares but them solely as a tire they are pretty subpar. I think those ceneca plazas are just stranger hazes and I can say I didnt care for those tires either. Really liking my current fly fuegos and loves my past donnasqueaks

|

2/7/2017 11:10 AM

Im riding the Ceneca tires. I crank em up to about 90 PSI, no issues with grip.

|

2/10/2017 1:13 AM

Photo

Little self bump , decided on United U Slick tires in 2.2 , I can get them for cheap and they come in the size I want , plus go up to 110 PSI instead of 65 like the Cenecas which was a bit low for me . Shipping is only 3$ more too , so it works out in my favour which is cool . Just hoping someone can chime in with a review , I imagine it should be fine , grip seems like a hit or miss with people and slick tires but I usually ride concrete skateparks that aren't usually that slippery or actually street concrete , so I imagine they should be ok.

Went from 2.4 , to 2.3 , hopeing 2.2 isn't THAT bad , smaller diameter tires feel so much better with grinds .
|

My Cult 2 Short

2/10/2017 3:52 AM

The weight of those tires are a lot better as well. Now go ride em.

|

2/10/2017 12:39 PM

Let us know your impressions re how they are on street- I have had good experiences w United stuff and may go for these next- coming from 2.2 Ody Hawks

|

Frmrly BmxBos
Ref: Robinson79, aaron.samuel.green