Help me pic a complete please :D

Related:
Create New Tag

1/28/2018 3:27 PM

I'm going to get back on BMX after a decade break.
I'm looking for a complete for around $500. I am 5'11. What size should I run TT wise?
Things I want in the bike.
I want a freecoaster and lhd if possible and light as possible for the price. I understand at my price point that may be tough.
I was considering the kink gap FC but I'm not sure if a 20.5 TT will be the right fit.
Let me know what you guys think.

|

1/28/2018 4:00 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/28/2018 4:20 PM

I'd say you could ride anything from a 20.75 up to a 21.25. But I'd say a 21 would probably be a nice spot. If I'm not mistaken (and please, correct me if I'm wrong) but isn't the gap a partial hi tens frame? For $500 you could easily be able to get a full Chromoly rig. Whisk is way more important that anything else I your list. Second, a freecoaster should be doable. & left-hand drive might be hit or miss. Some companies offer hubs that you can ride left or right. I think eastern has one but I'm not sure about the freecoaster. Their top bike has a freecoaster but it's about $100 more than your budget. I know their cranks are lhd or the. Can't speak to any others, offhand, that would meet your wants.

|

1/28/2018 4:11 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/28/2018 4:14 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

I'd say you could ride anything from a 20.75 up to a 21.25. But I'd say a 21 would probably be a nice spot. If I'm not ...more

From what links site says it's full chromoly. Still a cheap setup at about 350. What else do you think fits the bill

|

1/28/2018 4:13 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

I'd say you could ride anything from a 20.75 up to a 21.25. But I'd say a 21 would probably be a nice spot. If I'm not ...more

I'm open to suggestions. I'm not dead set on anything.

|

1/28/2018 4:23 PM

Just looked it over.... The Gap is only a Chromoly head tube, top tube, and down tube. Meaning the rear triangle, dropouts, bottom bracket, and seat tube are hi tens.

|

1/28/2018 4:26 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/28/2018 4:45 PM

Just a quick search brought up this. Seems to meet all your wants.

https://fitbikeco.com/bikes-2018/corriere-fc/

|

1/28/2018 5:24 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Just a quick search brought up this. Seems to meet all your wants.

https://fitbikeco.com/bikes-2018/corriere-fc/

Thanks. Looks like it fits the bill. Little heavier then is want but I'd take pegs off the drive side anyway.

|

1/28/2018 5:24 PM

Other then that, only other suggestions? I appreciate your input!

|

1/28/2018 5:32 PM

All your modern street bikes are going to weigh between 25 and 27 pounds. That's pretty much the standard range these days.

|

1/28/2018 5:37 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

All your modern street bikes are going to weigh between 25 and 27 pounds. That's pretty much the standard range these days.

I see. Have any thoughts on this package? Not a complete, but a kit.
https://fictionbmx.com/collections/build-kits/products/2018-creature-frame-freecoaster-build-kit?variant=6234620198955

|

1/28/2018 5:54 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Gr1z wrote:

...more

I just mentioned that in a thread the other day and I think it's a good deal to be honest. 599 for the all black kit with frame but you can pic right or lhd and you could put on 2 pegs and save the others. To me it's like getting a custom bike for a lot less. Some parts are not the best like the rims, sprocket and chain could be better but I'm sure it could hold up to quite a bit of abuse ..everything is cromoly and the cranks are 48 spline so you really cant go wrong with that

|

1/28/2018 6:40 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/28/2018 7:52 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Gr1z wrote:

...more

Yeah...That does look like a very cool setup. However, playing devils advocate, if you are upping your budget to $600 from $500, you should be sure to look at others as well. The Eastern natural is $599 delivered, is their "team" bike, has a freecoaster etc. There are a lot of options that open up as you move up in price. But, like Nate said, that is a pretty cool deal.

|

1/28/2018 7:14 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Gr1z wrote:

...more

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Yeah...That does look like a very cool setup. However, playing devils advocate, if you are upping your budget to $600 from ...more

The eastern is nice for sure. Just really want lhd

|

1/28/2018 7:17 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Gr1z wrote:

...more

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Yeah...That does look like a very cool setup. However, playing devils advocate, if you are upping your budget to $600 from ...more

I keep going back to that fit you linked. I'm feeling it. How much do you think those pegs and seat weigh in at?

|

1/28/2018 7:40 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Gr1z wrote:

...more

Mishinn_Control wrote:

I don't see it having a freecoaster on the site it says cassette with 60 point engagement

|

1/28/2018 7:41 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/29/2018 4:27 AM

Well, a seat will be a seat. But, if you were riding hardcore & knew you didn't need one, you could do away with the seat and post altogether. if you wanted to have a seat and save weight, you could slam your seat & thereby cut your seat post down to like 3" to save weight. Pegs, can be up to 9 ounces each for plastic sleeve pegs (maybe more) and much more for aluminum or steel. So you could save 1-2 pounds without pegs at all so if you aren't planning on grinding...

|

1/28/2018 7:51 PM

Gr1z wrote:

...more

Mishinn_Control wrote:

NateBrown62 wrote:

I don't see it having a freecoaster on the site it says cassette with 60 point engagement

I see what you mean. I was sorta running on memory for the Eastern Natural & thought it had a freecoaster but I can't see that either

|

1/28/2018 7:57 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Well, a seat will be a seat. But, if you were riding hardcore & knew you didn't need one, you could do away with the seat ...more

Ya I'm leaning towards the fit corriere FC. I would take all 4 pegs off at first.. then eventually throw them one the right side only. Definitely plan on trimming the seat post if I get it

|

1/28/2018 8:07 PM

Gr1z wrote:

...more

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Gr1z wrote:

I keep going back to that fit you linked. I'm feeling it. How much do you think those pegs and seat weigh in at?

The fit looks good besides single wall front rim 8 spline and only 165mm cranks plumes the steerer tube is only 159mm long which in my opinion is short ..i would rather spend the other 60 just to have 170mm 48 spline cranks lol but having double wall rims front and back to me is a must..idk how hard you plan on riding but i personally would never buy anythimg with singlw wall rims or 8 spline crabks after seing my buddy twist 2 pairs of cranks around and destroying multiple single wall rims granted he rode hard as fuck but in my opinion better safe than sorry especially with bmx being dangerous enough and cranks and wheels are by no means cheap

|

1/28/2018 8:22 PM

Gr1z wrote:

...more

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Gr1z wrote:

Are you gonna ride street or park is the big question?

|

1/28/2018 8:38 PM

Both. Probably more park

|

1/28/2018 8:41 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Gr1z wrote:

NateBrown62 wrote:

The fit looks good besides single wall front rim 8 spline and only 165mm cranks plumes the steerer tube is only 159mm long ...more

I don't plan on riding super gnar. I'm just getting back into it after a long ass break.

|

1/28/2018 9:13 PM

I would consider the corrier a straight street frame

|

1/28/2018 9:48 PM

NateBrown62 wrote:

Oh ok, everything is so much different in BMX now. Why is the corrier a strick street frame. I don't know shit about this new era of BMX

|

1/28/2018 9:48 PM

NateBrown62 wrote:

Do you have any recommendations?

|

1/28/2018 10:21 PM

NateBrown62 wrote:

Gr1z wrote:

Oh ok, everything is so much different in BMX now. Why is the corrier a strick street frame. I don't know shit about this new ...more

The rear end is pretty short. My friend is probably around the same height as you and rides a 20.75 long frame with 10" bars. If you don't mind me asking how old are you. Just wondering because I know for me riding more upright and not hunched over saves my back and shoulders a lot and I'm only 27. I ride a 21.4 tt 13.25 cs 10" bars 36mm rise stem and 23mm tall spacer so it's up as much as possible. I'm not saying you need that but for you I would suggest 9.5 bars on a 21" tt frame and around 13.25 cs ..airs are not the easiest with a short tall bike but that's why I suggest a little shorter bars and around the same length chainstay and 21" toptube just to help with stability when your riding ramps. Riders rode forever with shorter bars but if your not really young you may not Luke feeling hunched over especially with how steep almost all forks are now. Landing nose heavy is not so great with steeper forks and it's easier to go otb. Steep forks are really for nose manuals and mollies. I hate to say it but if you haven't ridden in years and if you've never ridden a freecoaster you might try to find a used custom complete on letgo offerup or Craigslist and just change what you don't like. It took me a while to find what I really felt comfortable with. Probably 4 dif bars 6 frames riding cassette coaster then back to cassette then back to coaster. Trying topload stems frontload stems different reach and rises 2 pegs 4 pegs no pegs dif weights and lengths. I know some people might not want to spend the time and money but you could try to find a bike shop and get on a couple bmx bikes and see what you like and don't like about it then try to find a bike that has the improvements you need

|

1/28/2018 10:41 PM

|

1/28/2018 10:42 PM

NateBrown62 wrote:

Gr1z wrote:

Oh ok, everything is so much different in BMX now. Why is the corrier a strick street frame. I don't know shit about this new ...more

NateBrown62 wrote:

The rear end is pretty short. My friend is probably around the same height as you and rides a 20.75 long frame with 10" bars. ...more

I'm the same age. I stopped riding when the sprocket size's dropped and everything got light. I'm used to a haro X something. I had a free coaster and lhd on my old haro when I was exiting the scene when I got my first car..
I just looked up BMX parks around me and for the most part they don't allow bmx. When I do ride parks I don't send it. I like to keep it flowy and I guess a street style. So regardless I won't be in a park much anyway since they only allow bmx 1 day a week. Realistically me getting back into it will probably consist of 180s 360s box's and bowls. And potentially the foam pit at vans skate park. Haha. So idk. I almost pulled the trigger right now on that corrier. I can get it shipped from Dan's for $484 shipped with the 15% off coupon code 49CP1. The fiction came out to 650 with tax before shipping.

|

1/28/2018 10:43 PM

It says in the description everything but the frame but I assume that's an error since you can choose a tt length and it has the frame specs on the page

|

1/28/2018 10:43 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/28/2018 10:45 PM

Didn't know they had a code. What is it? smile Your phone's is about to die!

|