Help w/ Mindset

Related:
Create New Tag

7/27/2016 5:32 PM

Don't know what's be going on but lately I've just been at a stand still with biking . Like almost enough to stop riding for a bit and pursue other things . Obviously biking is a main point in my life , but it's just not as fun as it once was . Over did it ? Maybe . I haven't learned very much and I'm not one to send huge fucking tricks either , so I think maybe I just need some time off and it'll get fun again .

I thought about working out ( another hobby ) and then bike when I'm not working out , so I'm not overdoing it . I also thought about grabbing a coaster and that'll keep things a bit more interesting . Not trying to be this guy , but I don't know , it's just whatever .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

7/27/2016 5:45 PM

Nothing wrong with having other interests than bmx, I do have a problem with quitting though....

I took a short break from riding to pursue other hobbies (art and music), when I got back into riding again I had a much higher appreciation for the sport.

Have fun and do what makes you happy that's all that really matters why sweat the small stuff?

|

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
I'm Mr. Meeseeks, Looks at me!

7/27/2016 5:59 PM

I agree with giving up. I stopped riding for almost 10 years after injuries. Missed it so badly it was driving me nuts! Got back into it and never looked back! For me it's a getaway from life for a few hours and something I love a lot in life and probably will never stop riding. Try new things man! New street spots, travel to different cities, get into dirt if you're not already, travel to different parks, etc. Always plenty to keep the sport interesting

|

7/27/2016 7:44 PM

Change your bike setup to make it fresh. If you run pegs, take em off for a bit. If you are brakeless, throw a set on.

Ride trails instead of ledges. Flow a bowl instead of wedges.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/27/2016 8:35 PM

the big thing is to remember that if you are "forcing" it, it can become less fun. Do what everyone said above, and then come back and ride. Taking up a different activity might make you find parallels that make you think of bike riding differently...and pull you back.

Find an activity that might be related to biking, but not directly. Get into trail building or maintenance. Volunteer at a co-op repairing bikes; start a class teaching kids how to ride;

riding never got "old" for me, but I had to redefine my involvement in the activity many times at different stages of my life, and it helped keep it fresh. There was a 10 year space where my life choices pulled me away from riding anything, but I really missed it, and as that part of my life waned and began to change, gaining the free time to ride again actually saved my life. It kept me out of the garage with the engine running and the door closed if you know what I mean.

Don't feel guilty about losing interest if it is a decision that YOU are making...if it is some other force that is pushing you or pressuring you out of your interest, than that is bad. Like people telling me (and you) that "BMXing is for little kids...grow up man"...or "dude, you are an adult. you should be spending your money on adult things...like beer and cars..." WTF?

You will be alright, and if you are like I am, riding is in you no matter what. 40 years later, I still look forward to riding my BMX like I did as a kid...it is in my mind all day at work....

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

7/28/2016 12:19 AM

Go somewhere you haven't been before. Or just nibble a car park doing stupid shit, that always gets me stoked

|

7/28/2016 7:45 AM

Like you mentioned, working out is my biggest "hobby". Biking is exercise and cardio but hitting a gym or just buying some equipment is also great for your health! I'm not saying to give up bmx. With regards to bmx I agree with what the other guys are saying. Happened to me with skateboarding too.

|

7/28/2016 5:34 PM

I'll get a scooter and learn quad whips flat.

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

7/28/2016 5:41 PM

Take some time off and do some other stuff.

Come back to the bike when you feel like it's time.

I've been riding less BMX this summer compared to last year. I spent a few months with only 1 or 2 sessions on my bike.

Lately I've been getting excited about it and have been 2-3 times a week. Mostly shreding around the streets and having fun.

|

Chris

www.bmxtransition.com
Canadian BMX Mailorder
Instagram: @transitionbmx

8/2/2016 9:21 AM

good luck man.

|

8/6/2016 10:24 PM

Sometimes it helps to get injured - you will be in the right mood again...

|

8/7/2016 12:32 AM

get a mountain bike and do some downhill type stuff. i bounce back and forth all the time.

|