Help... what bike should I get my son?

Related:
Create New Tag

12/10/2018 8:42 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/10/2018 8:49 AM

My son is 13. Hes getting into BMX. I have bought him lower end bikes from Walmart and they break quickly. He also says he would like a lighter bike. I have been doing research and am trying to find a good sturdy starter bike that he can customize when he wants. I found a Hoffman Condor on Amazon but it weighs 30lbs. Is this too much?Suggestions??? I'm looking at spending between $300 to $400. He will also use this to ride to school so breaks are necessary. Thank you.

|

12/10/2018 8:46 AM

I think Source ship to the USA. How about this:

https://www.sourcebmx.com/en/Wethepeople-Nova-BMX-Bike-2018/m-33867.aspx

A lot lighter and something he can upgrade as he goes.

But the next 7-10 post will say the Mongoose Legion L100, which would be ideal tbh.

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

12/10/2018 8:55 AM

Is he tall?

|

12/10/2018 8:57 AM

Mongoose Legion L100

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

12/10/2018 12:01 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Mongoose Legion L100

This. It depends massively on budget. The mongoose is by far the best on paper for the money. You'll only get something noticeably better when you're spending 500+
30lbs is a bit on the heavy side. Mid to late 20's is about average now

|

12/10/2018 1:51 PM

TTotten wrote:

My son is 13. Hes getting into BMX. I have bought him lower end bikes from Walmart and they break quickly. He also says he would like a lighter bike. I have been doing research and am trying to find a good sturdy starter bike that he can customize when he wants. I found a Hoffman Condor on Amazon but it weighs 30lbs. Is this too much?Suggestions??? I'm looking at spending between $300 to $400. He will also use this to ride to school so breaks are necessary. Thank you.

He is 5' and weighs about 75lbs. I ended up getting the 2019 Kink Launch. Opinions?

|

12/10/2018 2:06 PM

TTotten wrote:

TTotten wrote:

He is 5' and weighs about 75lbs. I ended up getting the 2019 Kink Launch. Opinions?

The frame is 100% Hi-Tensile ☹️ You should’ve just gone with the L100 which is 100% 4130 Chromoly which is pretty much the standard for what all BMX frames should be made of.

|

12/10/2018 2:44 PM

TTotten wrote:

TTotten wrote:

I'm sure it'll do the job, and it'll be a more suitable size than the mongoose L100. But expect to be upgrading parts if he takes it seriously.

|

12/10/2018 4:03 PM

The Launch will be fine for a 75lb kid. JoeyJoeJoe rides one and he's #HuskyNation.

|

12/10/2018 4:06 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/10/2018 4:11 PM

should have gotten the mongoose l100, it's full cromo with sealed bearings, high volume tires, pivitol seat e.t.c and its $198 right now for the bergandy one on amazon

|

12/10/2018 4:12 PM

your kid will be stoked on the Kink.

parts get broken and destroyed over time. So you can expect to upgrade parts as they break.

Gotta start somewhere and I think he'll be happy with that bike.

The question is, what bike are you gunna get for yourself? smile seriously.

|

12/10/2018 4:13 PM

Orlando F wrote:

should have gotten the mongoose l100, it's full cromo with sealed bearings, high volume tires, pivitol seat e.t.c and its $198 right now for the bergandy one on amazon

Any tire will be high volume when it reaches it's limit. w00t w00t w00t

...I'll get my coat.

|

12/10/2018 4:13 PM

TTotten wrote:

amazon weights aren't always accurate, usually lighter than advertised

|

12/10/2018 6:51 PM

Orlando F wrote:

The Amazon website shows it weighs 30lbs. Someone weighed it at 26.75lbs.

|

12/10/2018 6:56 PM

TTotten wrote:

Orlando F wrote:

STREETFIGHTER50 wrote:

another person on amazon says his was 24.7 lbs, probably without brakes or something but I don't know. I don't think it's 26.75 lbs though it seems heavy for full cromo,

|

12/10/2018 6:59 PM

Orlando F wrote:

jbales wrote:

Any tire will be high volume when it reaches it's limit. w00t w00t w00t

...I'll get my coat.

Photo
|

12/10/2018 10:39 PM

Orlando F wrote:

STREETFIGHTER50 wrote:

Orlando F wrote:

another person on amazon says his was 24.7 lbs, probably without brakes or something but I don't know. I don't think it's 26.75 lbs though it seems heavy for full cromo,

26lbs isn't heavy. Especially for a complete bike. A 4 peg, guarded sprocket custom build will be close to 30lbs

|

12/11/2018 12:23 AM

Doesn’t Amazon just give the weight of what’s gonna show up at your doorstep? There’s the box, maybe another box inside with the product, and wrapping, tape, so on... ?

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

12/11/2018 1:47 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/11/2018 1:50 AM

readybmxer wrote:

Doesn’t Amazon just give the weight of what’s gonna show up at your doorstep? There’s the box, maybe another box inside with the product, and wrapping, tape, so on... ?

This is what I was thinking.

Also, the Kink will most likely do just fine. If he starts taking bmx more seriously he will want to upgrade anyway. And if a kid that weight manages to break the frame he'll be doing some massive stuff.

|

12/11/2018 5:31 AM

TTotten wrote:

TTotten wrote:

Did you get the orange one? I have the 19 Launch and I'm damn near 300 lbs. #HuskyNation I got it back in May. I haven't had any trouble with it. I really like the bike and I try to ride it every day. The only thing I have had to change was the wheels. But that was my fat ass bending axles while learning to grind and then attempting to do maintenance on my hub. I have my old rims and I'm going to try to get them back in working order (I lost some bearings so I need to replace those suckers).

I have put the bike through some work and it's held up great. A 75lb tyke is going to be just fine.

|

Hey, I'm trying!
Instagram

12/11/2018 5:32 AM

jbales wrote:

The Launch will be fine for a 75lb kid. JoeyJoeJoe rides one and he's #HuskyNation.

But I make the Husky look good! Who would've thought I was so damn heavy?

|

Hey, I'm trying!
Instagram

12/11/2018 3:22 PM

STREETFIGHTER50 wrote:

Orlando F wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

26lbs isn't heavy. Especially for a complete bike. A 4 peg, guarded sprocket custom build will be close to 30lbs

yeah, depends on the rider i guess. I have a 2005 eastern trail digger that i use as a backup in case my bike needs repairs, is mostly aftermarket with stuff like araya triple wall rim in the back, S&M 36 t guarded sprocket, odyssey trail mix pedals e.t.c probably clocks in at over 30 pounds

|

12/11/2018 3:31 PM

TTotten wrote:

TTotten wrote:

JoeyJoeJoe wrote:

Did you get the orange one? I have the 19 Launch and I'm damn near 300 lbs. #HuskyNation I got it back in May. I haven't had any trouble with it. I really like the bike and I try to ride it every day. The only thing I have had to change was the wheels. But that was my fat ass bending axles while learning to grind and then attempting to do maintenance on my hub. I have my old rims and I'm going to try to get them back in working order (I lost some bearings so I need to replace those suckers).

I have put the bike through some work and it's held up great. A 75lb tyke is going to be just fine.

I have bent a few axles just learning hops/crashing and some grinding as well. Its not your weight as much as it is shitty grade steel. Lol

|

12/12/2018 11:30 AM

Orlando F wrote:

$198!? Damn that’s a helluva steal! I notice the 2018 Maroon bike still has the better female front axle. I wonder why the 2019’s went back to the old style?

|

12/12/2018 11:36 AM

Orlando F wrote:

STREETFIGHTER50 wrote:

$198!? Damn that’s a helluva steal! I notice the 2018 Maroon bike still has the better female front axle. I wonder why the 2019’s went back to the old style?

To cut down on cost most likely...I noticed that as well. I was disappointed but most people probably arent grinding with those bikes anyway...

|

12/12/2018 12:47 PM

Jet Key ? Resonable package for the price.

https://www.sourcebmx.com/en/Jet-BMX-Key-BMX-Bike/m-35460.aspx

|

12/12/2018 12:57 PM

NS25 wrote:

$210 for Jet 100% Hi-Tensile frame, fork, and handlebar.
Or
$198 for L100 100% Chromoly frame, fork, and handlebar.

It’s a no brainer here.

|

12/12/2018 1:03 PM

NS25 wrote:

You must be new here.

|

12/12/2018 3:30 PM

Orlando F wrote:

STREETFIGHTER50 wrote:

probably cost, and people who want to grind don't have to get a new front wheel because I'm pretty sure the female hub can't have pegs

|

12/12/2018 3:32 PM

NS25 wrote:

STREETFIGHTER50 wrote:

$210 for Jet 100% Hi-Tensile frame, fork, and handlebar.
Or
$198 for L100 100% Chromoly frame, fork, and handlebar.

It’s a no brainer here.

some people just don't like mongoose, just because they have walmart bikes doesn't mean all their bikes are bad

|