Help with BMX bike purchase

Related:
Create New Tag

5/25/2017 8:38 PM

I'm new to freestyle bmx, I am looking to buy one soon but don't know whats hot right now. I've heard of GT and Haro but don't actually know whats good. My price range is $0-350. Thanks

|

5/25/2017 8:54 PM

Hmm I don't know about GT but Haro's high end/aftermaket products are not bad I think. For that price range maybe you should consider a used custom bike. If you do decide on a new complete, just look for a at least a cromoly front triangle, sealed bearing and double wall rims if possible.

|

Rider & A Writer

5/25/2017 10:01 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/25/2017 10:03 PM

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/bik/6085750428.html

This is semi local to you. Idk what your craigslist area would be, but yo. Find your nearest craigslist location, type in 'bmx bike'. Find some cool ones that don't look mistreated, and don't have Chicago bars, and post them here. I will help you pick one out. This one for example is prime for the price, but I also saw some total turd's for the same price. So you just gotta know the parts by heart.. which I do to an extent.

That's the best way to find a bike for the low low, usually if it's from someone who loved bmx but outgrew it or w/e.. they're losing out completely on the deal.

Offer this guy $200, https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/bik/6104630464.html . Sealed hubs, full Chromoly, etc. Good bike.

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert

5/26/2017 4:59 AM

i was kind of hoping i could get a brand new one

|

5/26/2017 5:12 AM

Spenlard wrote:

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/bik/6085750428.html

This is semi local to you. Idk what your craigslist area would be, ...more

I kinda wanted to get a brand new one, and wanted to know what would be the best brand to choose. GT, Haro, WE THE PEOPLE, or any other brand. Again, my price range is like $350

|

5/26/2017 5:18 AM

Here is a list of wha tto look for in any BMX, used or new:

Things to look for in a BMX bike:
All of the skeletal structure that is going to bear weight should be full chromoly:
full frame -> front triangle(TT, DT, ST) AND seat stay and chainstay....full Chromoly
fork: both the steering tube and the legs...full Chromoly
the handle bars...full Chromoly
the crank arms and pedal axels....full Chromoly

Rims should be welded double walled for sure
Sealed bearings in the hubs and bottom bracket

For me, these are the MOST important things to look for to give you the best return on your investment. Every thing after this is “eye candy” to me at least.

After structure, geometry is the next most important thing.

In your price range, you are not going to find these elements in a new bike. The closest I can think of is the Hoffman 'Bama, which I think isa great bike. It has everythign mentioned on the list. Now, some of the parts on that bike them self are so-so, but as they wear out or break you can replace them with higher grade after market parts. you do, however, get a solid frame and fork to build on, as well as the double walled rims and the sealed bearings.

You want to avoid bikes made of hi-tensile steel if you plan on doing any kind of jumps or drops. Hi ten is not as strong as full chromoly. Also, unsealed bearings will malfunction much quicker and make your bike run rough.

For any company, a complete with the specs listed above are goign to be in the $450-$1000 dollar range. That is why people are suggesting a used custom. It will have all of the right parts for much less than new because bikes depreciate in value a lot unfortunately...or fortunately for you.

I am in your camp in that I want a new complete to start, but I plan on spending more - because I can in a way. I am aiming for a Verde Luxe eventually.

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

5/26/2017 6:10 AM

you will get a much better bike for the money if you buy used, I got a $1300 custom for 550. You aren't going to get a very good bike for 350 brand new. Closest you could get would be something like this https://www.danscomp.com/products/102756/2017_Fit_STR_Bike.html
That's a good website to browse around on, all the bikes on dans comp are pretty good. Don't get a GT or Haro, they are crap. Well Haro has good stuff but it's higher end, their cheap stuff probably is crap.
Again, look to get something that says full chromoly frame, fork, handlebars, double walled rims, sealed bearings.

|