Help with Odyssey Clutch

Related:
Create New Tag

8/12/2016 9:57 AM

My hub started making a clicking noise every rotation. Took it apart to the point right before removing the bearings, cleaned and regreased - still made noise. Contacted warranty. They asked me to take it apart. Took it apart completely and everything looked right. Sent Odyssey the pictures and they agreed it looked right - except for the wear on the axle. They told me to see if I could figure out what was causing the wear. So far I have no idea what the problem is. Any guidance/suggestions would be appreciated.

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

selling refs: see profile
Instagram
bike check

8/12/2016 11:13 AM

How long have ya had the hub?

|

REFS-

Vital- KyMike, FEDEXdoobie, adrenalinebmx ,MaximusBikes
Bmx-forum-Tumitama, archerbiker9(2x), mrsanchezz, nguyenna, JoeyBones, fast-and-loose and many others
Also multiple sales on global-flat.com and PinkBike. Theres to many to list all. Most sales are done through texting I havent been able to keep track of who is who.

8/12/2016 1:32 PM

The Horror Contact wrote:

How long have ya had the hub?

Almost exactly a year

|

Instagram
bike check

8/12/2016 1:42 PM

I'm trying to figure out what that wear is as well because I have it on my axle and it doesn't make much sense because nothing should be rubbing there. The clutch is in that spot though so it's gotta be something with the clutch (also the wear marks spin around the axle meaning it's rubbing while spinning)

I took apart my clutch today, cleaned/regreased it and now it makes k-k-k-k noises when I pedal hard. Overall the engagement is much smoother so I'm not sure if the crunching sound is just the clutch rebedding into the shell and I should just keep riding on it til it goes away or there's actually something wrong. Does it seem possible that having a freshly cleaned/greased hub would cause noises?

|

8/12/2016 3:13 PM

FEDEXdoobie wrote:

I'm trying to figure out what that wear is as well because I have it on my axle and it doesn't make much sense because nothing ...more

I don't think so because mine made the noise prior to cleaning/regreasing and still made the noise after i cleaned it really well and regreased the fuck out of it. at the end of the day, my hub still runs so I am glad for that. But the noise is frustrating. You gotta be right about the clutch causing the wear. I wonder the hubs shape got out of tolerance and is causing things to not be exactly where they were intended to be. I really don't know, I've never been great about wrapping my head around coaster designs.

|

Instagram
bike check

8/12/2016 3:53 PM

So I figured out my own problem and maybe it has something to do with your problem as well: I had to put my primo dsg back on then the creaking stopped. Your axle has a lot more wear than mine, but do you run any sort of hub guards? I'm thinking that by running the primo dsg on the female nub of the clutch it made the hub sit diagonally in my frame putting weird sorts of stresses (maybe the wear on axle?) So now when I run my hub without a dsg it sits weird and makes noise since it broke in diagonally. Hope this makes some sense because the coaster design is pretty straight forward so I feel like noises should have fairly simple reasons

|

8/12/2016 5:03 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/12/2016 5:21 PM

EDIT: Took a look at the internals, the plastic bushings that rest in the clutch/clutch notches are what is causing that wear, most likely some grit got into the grease and work the axle/polished it. Make sure that bushing piece is not warped or ovalized on the inner part (that the axle touches)

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/12/2016 8:19 PM

Do yall run your chain tight or fairly loose. If loose, can any of ya lift your bike up and see if there's a slight wobble/play in the hub?

|

REFS-

Vital- KyMike, FEDEXdoobie, adrenalinebmx ,MaximusBikes
Bmx-forum-Tumitama, archerbiker9(2x), mrsanchezz, nguyenna, JoeyBones, fast-and-loose and many others
Also multiple sales on global-flat.com and PinkBike. Theres to many to list all. Most sales are done through texting I havent been able to keep track of who is who.

8/13/2016 11:28 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

EDIT: Took a look at the internals, the plastic bushings that rest in the clutch/clutch notches are what is causing that wear, ...more

The plastic bushing doesn't move from its place, and the worn part of the axle is too small a diameter to fit the plastic piece

|

8/13/2016 11:30 AM

The Horror Contact wrote:

Do yall run your chain tight or fairly loose. If loose, can any of ya lift your bike up and see if there's a slight ...more

I run my chain on the looser side and the only time the hub wobbles is when it's not cranked down super tight.

|

8/13/2016 3:46 PM

i don't and have never run any hub guards. i'm always pegless. also, I run my chain medium tightness - no chain slap but loose enough to be smooth on the coaster.

|

Instagram
bike check