Help with Stem/Fork Size terms/measurements?

Related:
Create New Tag

3/12/2014 8:00 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/12/2014 8:01 PM

Im still a beginner to the parts aspect, I've got most of it down just need help with this..

Friend is trying to buy a new stem, his is all fucked up.

[LINK TO IMAGE]

https://www.danscomp.com/products-PARTS/370296/Odyssey_TDFL_Stem_(Tom_Dugan).html

He wants that stem, Im unsure of what forks he has and he is too, please help

does he have to pick a different stem?
Also, what are the differences between stem reaches and what not?
And the forks, size differences, whats the most common one?

. Thanks!
(other post wasnt getting any replies figured i would post here, mod please delete the other thread in how to's)

|

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward.
Whoever cannot take care of themselves without that law is both.
For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,
'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, You are forgiven.'
Such is the rule of honour.

3/12/2014 8:47 PM

shouldn't your bike have a motor on it?

|

3/12/2014 8:52 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/12/2014 8:56 PM

As long as his fork isn't threaded it'll work (if his forks have thread on the steerer tube it's threaded and that stem wont work). from the picture it looks like it should work though

Stem reach is basically how long the stem is. shorter stems will make the bike a bit more responsive...longer will do the opposite

Forks come in 1" threaded and 1 1/8 threadless (most popular). all aftermarket forks come on 1 1/8 for the most part, pretty sure all completes also

Hope that made sense

|

Murica bike check
REFS four, tomdon, bmx1995, jared42069, obiwan chromoly, hate breeder, nshs2010, asilva23, rascio,
Alfred NYC, Kymike, chuck8273(kind of), tc86, Ugot2dewitt, LLURider, dprc, ecuadevil, scramhype, Mario.villegas90(X2), dirtstars22, Brian_Griffin

3/13/2014 7:47 AM

The stem can be longer, for more stability and shorter for more responsiveness. The only thing that changes in forks is the steer tube lenght,

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx