Help with a 29er pick

Related:
Create New Tag

6/30/2020 6:02 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/30/2020 11:31 AM

Hey all! I’ve search the threads a bit, poked around on the net and YouTube and figured I’d ask the community...

Same story as many, I grew up with a bmx bike, didn’t ride for years and now have kids. I ditched the mountain bike as getting on and off to help the kids was a pain. I ended up getting a Verde Vex 20” for fun with them around town.

The 20” is fun, but I am looking for something for the fam bike rides and I came across all the bmx cruisers on 26” and 29” tires. I figured that would be a ton of fun and a bit easier than my Verde. I settle on a 29er vs. 26 or 24 as I have a mountain bike size 26 and want something different. I figure if I buy a 24 or 26, I’ll end up wanting a 29er.

I am trying to find a 29er with a budget of around $500. I don’t imagine doing anything harsh on it outside of cruising with the fam, wheelies, etc.

Which bike would you recommend? FYI - Craigslist I scour everyday and bmx cruisers aren’t as popular out here. They are hard to find and often as much as purchasing new.

Sunday High C - $579 - Chromoly - https://www.danscomp.com/sunday-2021-high-c-29-bike-23.5-toptube-sunset-fade-sbx-173-fdorg/p1216844

Taj 27.5 - $599 - Chromoly - https://marketplace.fullfactorydistro.com/products/2021-fairdale-taj-teal

SE Big Flyer - $599 - aluminum frame, chromoly forks - https://www.bikeattack.com/se-bikes-big-flyer-29-2020/

Throne Goon - $599 - Steel frame - https://www.mrbikeshop.com/products/throne-cycles-the-goon-white

Unknown Curb Stomper - $539 - aluminum frame -https://www.mrbikeshop.com/products/unknown-curb-stomper-30

Bike Exchange’s version - Aluminum Frame, chromoly forks - $299 - http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gravity/dirt-jumper-dj-adult-bmx-bikes/bigwake-dj-adult-bmx-bikes.htm

It’s hard to find much with the virus and everyone buying bikes again, but these have been in stock here and there and seem to be the options I can readily find. The bike exchange one I can’t find much on as far as reviews but seems to have similar geometry to the other two without the higher quality stuff.

Appreciate any comments or lessons learned if you’ve been here.

|

6/30/2020 8:44 AM

Oh, no bike shops have the option to test ride these at the moment as they are sold out. Most only carry MTBikes, road, hybrid and beach cruisers anyhow.

|

6/30/2020 9:34 AM

Can't find specs on the Unknown but the lack of specs would indicate that it's frame materials are nothing they are "proud of". So, I'd probably pass on that. The Throne was sold out and I couldn't find much in specs. The SE is cool but it has an aluminum frame.... if that matters. It'll likely be a stiffer ride and MAY suffer from fatigue stress later in life (not that you need to worry about that). The Sunday is full Chromoly and they make nice stuff so that is where I'd probably spend my money.

|

6/30/2020 9:39 AM

Really appreciate the review and your thoughts! I am trying to decide between if something like the Sunday makes sense for longevity and quality or something like the last option with Bike Exchange at $300 is a good compromise as it’ll really be a cruiser and is half the price.

Crazy how this environment has dried up stuff on Craigslist and items are sold out, pre-ordering and flying off the shelf.

|

6/30/2020 10:05 AM

|

Gravity always wins.

6/30/2020 11:29 AM

Added Taj to the list!

|

7/1/2020 4:03 AM

The Taj or the Sunday are the best choices I think. They come with all the chromoly parts you want and quality component parts. You'd be happy with either of them.

|

7/1/2020 4:59 AM

Thanks all! I think I got what I need. Appreciate the help!

|

10/30/2020 9:12 AM

I stripped down a Specialized comp 29er and put almost all Promax components. I wanted a 29er bmx too but 2 knee and ankle surgeries make it difficult on hills. So I made this. Photo

|

10/30/2020 11:00 AM

Ghostk1ller wrote:

I stripped down a Specialized comp 29er and put almost all Promax components. I wanted a 29er bmx too but 2 knee and ankle ...more

That came out dope man, props!

|

Style matters

10/30/2020 12:12 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/30/2020 12:21 PM

Ghostk1ller wrote:

I stripped down a Specialized comp 29er and put almost all Promax components. I wanted a 29er bmx too but 2 knee and ankle ...more

That bike looks cool as hell.

If for some reason the OP is still on the fence, or decides to check back in, my vote goes to the Sunday, although I’m not sure that I’d go for a 29” bike to begin with if I were looking for a big BMX experience. At 6’02” and 300 lbs, my 24” Haro with its 22.5” top tube and the 9” bars I added feels plenty comfy. It also feels enough like a traditional BMX that I am often tempted to try doing some tricks on it, even though my body isn’t yet up to the task. I have a sneaky suspicion that eventually, the OP will want to use the bike for some type of flatland or street type riding in addition to the regular cruising duties. Something a bit smaller, (but, big enough) will feel a lot more natural for an old school BMX’er in my opinion.

Then again, he says he does already have a 20” bike, so...

|

“Don’t quote me boy cuz I ain’t said shit” - Ghandi

11/2/2020 4:52 AM

Ghostk1ller wrote:

d-Herz wrote:

That came out dope man, props!

Spray paint?

Where did you snag up the Decal?

I have an old Klein 26" I want to repaint, but want to make it look good WITH the logos on it.

Might have to do some digging.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

11/2/2020 5:27 AM

Yes. Krylon fusion 2 in one spray paint. Decals on Etsy. Lots of choices for color. Had to strip and sand it to bare aluminum for perfect finish.

|

11/2/2020 6:56 AM

Ghostk1ller wrote:

Yes. Krylon fusion 2 in one spray paint. Decals on Etsy. Lots of choices for color. Had to strip and sand it to bare aluminum ...more

Rad! I plan to take all the parts off my Klein and toss em on an 88 Hardrock frameset I have laying around (for that fully rigid winter machine), overhaul my Marzocchi Bomber fork (and paint the lowers) and do up the frame sometime in spring. I might try to keep it the same color and find a nice metallic green paint for both, then some tanwall tires for it.

I've also been debating finally painting my BMX frame-it's a copper Radio Nemesis. I don't know if I want to lose the copper color, but it would wire wheel off easily and leave a dull chrome finish. Then I would either leave it, and paint some stuff black (My little devil headtube badge for example would be painted black) OR go with a desert sand color and some black stencils/stuff.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

11/2/2020 7:17 AM

Ghostk1ller wrote:

Yes. Krylon fusion 2 in one spray paint. Decals on Etsy. Lots of choices for color. Had to strip and sand it to bare aluminum ...more

dave lawrence wrote:

Rad! I plan to take all the parts off my Klein and toss em on an 88 Hardrock frameset I have laying around (for that fully ...more

I wish you luck. All of those sound sweet. I thought about metallic green. I took a few tries and restriping to get that matte consistent. We did my 10 year old daughters hardrock last year. She wants me to do her Venom diamondback. Maybe. It really is nerve racking. Photo

|

11/2/2020 7:20 AM

Ghostk1ller wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

Rad! I plan to take all the parts off my Klein and toss em on an 88 Hardrock frameset I have laying around (for that fully ...more

Photo
|

11/3/2020 5:03 AM

Ghostk1ller wrote:

I wish you luck. All of those sound sweet. I thought about metallic green. I took a few tries and restriping to get that matte ...more

I've painted some BMX stuff in the past-I found that lots of thin layers of paint is key, with ample dry time. Paint jobs take me close to a week now (outside of work etc).

I do a lot of prep sanding etc first, clean it, primer, dry, primer, dry, primer, dry, paint, dry, paint, dry, paint, dry, clear, dry, clear, dry, clear, dry, clear, dry, clear. I will do light sanding between primer and the first paint coat as needed.

Then a full 24 hours dry time before I reassemble.

I also used Engine enamel paint on my last painted frame, it was VERY durable.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura