Help with a hop whip

Related:
Create New Tag

7/6/2020 11:35 AM

Hey guys, I’ve been trying to learn the hop whip, but I especially have trouble with kicking it. This is really holding me back, and I’ve looked on YouTube and nothing’s helping. If there is anything that helped you guys with kicking it, it would be great if you share. Any help is greatly appreciated.

|

7/6/2020 11:39 AM

Scotty Cranmers how to tailwhip video.

|

7/6/2020 12:09 PM

Schwavy wrote:

Scotty Cranmers how to tailwhip video.

That video helped me a little, but I’m struggling with bringing my front foot around the right way and actually getting my back foot to kick

|

7/6/2020 12:32 PM

it's mostly in your arms.....

|

7/6/2020 12:43 PM

My arms aren’t the problem, it’s because I’m not really able to kick that well that I can’t have a controlled whip

|

7/6/2020 12:44 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/6/2020 12:46 PM

Also I have a hard time keeping it low and close without it being vertical so it can’t come around all the way

|

7/6/2020 2:43 PM

You need dialed hops and the higher you can hop the easier/ more time you'll have to get it around.

|

7/6/2020 2:46 PM

Cellmember wrote:

You need dialed hops and the higher you can hop the easier/ more time you'll have to get it around.

Yeah my hops are dialed, I just need to figure out how to kick it properly. Anything that has helped anyone?

|

7/6/2020 2:51 PM

Can you fly out whip ? Or whip in general ?

|

7/6/2020 2:54 PM

If you’re having trouble kicking it around maybe wait until you have more bike control or learn something else first. Hop whips are probably the hardest trick in riding.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

7/6/2020 2:58 PM

Four wrote:

If you’re having trouble kicking it around maybe wait until you have more bike control or learn something else first. Hop whips are probably the hardest trick in riding.

I have good bike control, I also can kind of kick it, I just don’t kick it correctly. Instead of bringing my front foot around the seat while kicking it, I tend to just take my front foot off to the side and I can’t get myself to do it right

|

7/6/2020 4:51 PM

You have to be more on top of the bike in your hop, it’s hard to kick when the bike is up vertical for a big hop. Maybe try some footjam tailwhips till those are dialed the kick for those helps a lot, then work on the hop whip once you’re kicking hard. Also if you aren’t flexing your chest hard and have your hands under you then you’re sending the bike too far forward or to the side too much it’s a tight hand movement

|

7/6/2020 5:48 PM

Practice kicking the shit out of foot jam tail whips for a while

Or just tell your brain to use your right foot to kick it to the left as hard as you can ore vice versa

|

7/6/2020 6:44 PM

K thanks!

|

7/6/2020 11:13 PM

Got a video of you trying?

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

7/7/2020 4:19 AM

readybmxer wrote:

Got a video of you trying?

This.

Post up a video for some critiquing. We can only take what you say is happening as accurate, and sometimes your viewpoint is skewed.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/7/2020 8:43 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/7/2020 8:44 AM

I have a video of me trying it just won’t work when I try to upload it

|

7/7/2020 10:16 AM

Andrew=$ wrote:

Upload it to YouTube as an unlisted video, then embed the link here.

|

7/7/2020 10:18 AM

Andrew=$ wrote:

readybmxer wrote:

Upload it to YouTube as an unlisted video, then embed the link here.

K I’ll try

|

7/7/2020 10:31 AM

K there it is.
|

7/7/2020 10:39 AM

I know it’s a low hop but I can hop way higher. That’s the only good video I have of it though.

|

7/7/2020 11:10 AM

Don't take this in a negative way at all, but you've got a long ways to go.

I can't do them, so I don't speak from experience, but you'll need to level out, rather than being nearly vertical with your body. Practice the motion of standing next to your bike, then using your arms to bring the frame around, and hop on the pedals. Back when I was super determined to learn them, that's what seemed to give me the most confidence.

Also, learning them flat as opposed to a flyout or steep bank is almost always more difficult.

|

7/7/2020 11:26 AM

readybmxer wrote:

Don't take this in a negative way at all, but you've got a long ways to go.

I can't do them, so I don't speak from experience, but you'll need to level out, rather than being nearly vertical with your body. Practice the motion of standing next to your bike, then using your arms to bring the frame around, and hop on the pedals. Back when I was super determined to learn them, that's what seemed to give me the most confidence.

Also, learning them flat as opposed to a flyout or steep bank is almost always more difficult.

I don’t have a fly out or bank or anything that I can practice on regularly. I do have curbs and stuff though if that would work. Also I’ve done the motion countless times and I can whip it around and land on the pedals but when I try to do the real thing even if I try to level out my bike goes back to being vertical and it doesn’t go all the way around

|

7/7/2020 12:00 PM

you have a billion skateparks near you....

your front end is way too high, as you probably already know..

I mean.. you're so far from landing this trick that I don't really have any useful suggestions. You want to keep your bike under you, feet are usually hovering near the stem / bars and it feels like you're going to go over the bars.

how are your foot jam whips?

|

7/7/2020 12:03 PM

pnj wrote:

you have a billion skateparks near you....

your front end is way too high, as you probably already know..

I mean.. you're so far from landing this trick that I don't really have any useful suggestions. You want to keep your bike under you, feet are usually hovering near the stem / bars and it feels like you're going to go over the bars.

how are your foot jam whips?

My foot jam whips are fine. I just can’t figure out how to keep it level.

|

7/7/2020 12:14 PM

You need to kick the bike around as you hop off. Harry Main has a video up about it. That sets it in motion, then you use your arms.

|

7/7/2020 12:27 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/7/2020 12:28 PM

K I’ll check it out. It could also be a confidence thing because I kinda freak out when I try it leveled out

|

7/7/2020 1:43 PM

Rewatch your video and pay attention to your feet. Notice how as soon as they come off the pedals they immediately start going towards the ground? I think this is caused by you mentally not being committed to stay in the air while the bike goes all the way around. Follow this link and go to 1:08 to see my hop whip. Watch that whip a few times and watch my feet. I bring them up towards my chest so that when the bike comes around my feet will be ready to land on the pedals.

Now, as far as your "kick" pnj said it well that the rotation is mostly arms. Again referring to the whip in my edit, as you can see most of the rotation is my arms whipping the bike around. Also as said by pnj and others, you ought to learn this trick flyout first. No one learns this trick flat, especially no one who is 120 pounds (no offense, but flat whips take a ton of muscle until you get the technique down just right).

And just for reference:
Flyout tailwhips (out of a box jump lip / quarter pipe) took me about 2-3 months to learn, and about another 3 months to dial in consistently. Learned them when I was 16, and at that point I had already been riding for 3 years and had good bike control/strength.
Whips out of banks took about a week to dial in once I had them good out of a ramp.
Hop whips have always been inconsistent as I don't try them enough to dial them in. They take a TON of energy and are less fun for me than say, a whip air or on a ramp/wedge.

Hope this points you in the right direction, as you have a long road ahead of you. But, I will say it is worth it as it is one of the most fun tricks IMO!

|

7/7/2020 2:11 PM

SoCalShreds wrote:

Rewatch your video and pay attention to your feet. Notice how as soon as they come off the pedals they immediately start going towards the ground? I think this is caused by you mentally not being committed to stay in the air while the bike goes all the way around. Follow this link and go to 1:08 to see my hop whip. Watch that whip a few times and watch my feet. I bring them up towards my chest so that when the bike comes around my feet will be ready to land on the pedals.

Now, as far as your "kick" pnj said it well that the rotation is mostly arms. Again referring to the whip in my edit, as you can see most of the rotation is my arms whipping the bike around. Also as said by pnj and others, you ought to learn this trick flyout first. No one learns this trick flat, especially no one who is 120 pounds (no offense, but flat whips take a ton of muscle until you get the technique down just right).

And just for reference:
Flyout tailwhips (out of a box jump lip / quarter pipe) took me about 2-3 months to learn, and about another 3 months to dial in consistently. Learned them when I was 16, and at that point I had already been riding for 3 years and had good bike control/strength.
Whips out of banks took about a week to dial in once I had them good out of a ramp.
Hop whips have always been inconsistent as I don't try them enough to dial them in. They take a TON of energy and are less fun for me than say, a whip air or on a ramp/wedge.

Hope this points you in the right direction, as you have a long road ahead of you. But, I will say it is worth it as it is one of the most fun tricks IMO!

Thanks! I’m already having better attempts and getting a little closer. And the whole 120 pounds thing doesn’t offend me grin as you’re pretty close. I’m almost in 7th grade so I don’t expect me to have a ton of muscle, however you kinda broke it down a little better for me and I have more confidence, cuz before I was kinda blindly trying it. Thanks again!

|

7/7/2020 3:29 PM

It is a fair point with muscle & weight though, for sure some truth to it. Of course, technique is a big factor, but I’ve always been weaker and smaller than most. I’m 20 now, 115 LBS, and my whole BMX journey has been learning things on ramps/fly outs, then taking stuff to flat afterwards, especially spins.

But still, fly out whips should be your focus. smile

|