Help with bike cranks/sprocket clicking when in place problem

Related:
Create New Tag

3/25/2018 2:13 PM

My bike keeps clicking when I do anything either manuals, jhops, you can make it, but when I start pushing with my left crank it clicks in only once but when I do another trIck then it clicks again. my cranks are tight at well as my sprocket and I don't know what's wrong. Please help out. This is the most small but annoying problem ever

|

3/25/2018 2:27 PM

Check your BB bearings. Also, what's your driveside? That would tell us a lot.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/25/2018 2:32 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

i'm left drive side and i checked my bearing and they seem to be fine

|

3/25/2018 2:44 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

Caleb__ wrote:

Did you pull the cranks off and run the bearings with your finger? They could spin fine, just spinning the cranks because of all of the rotational weight but if you run them with your fingers, you could find a rough spot.

If you take your chain off, does it still happen?

Is the top-hat washer snug to the spindle and the inside of the sprocket?

Are your pedals in good shape?

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/25/2018 3:16 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

Caleb__ wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

Did you pull the cranks off and run the bearings with your finger? They could spin fine, just spinning the cranks because of ...more

I just got new pedals because I thought that was the problem, I took my chain off but my chain is also brand new. About 3-4 weeks old. I checked the top had and it seemed fine. Not sure if I need new bearings or new sprocket because I Got a new one at the beginning of novemver.

|

3/25/2018 3:47 PM

Caleb__ wrote:

I just got new pedals because I thought that was the problem, I took my chain off but my chain is also brand new. About 3-4 ...more

Let's start eliminating things so; take off the sprocket, along with the chain and try to make the noise happen again. If you can make it happen then, it's either the bearings or the cranks, which you can then check by swapping cranks with a friend for a day, if that's possible.

If you can't make it happen without the sprocket, try switching out the sprocket to see if it's that. Otherwise, it'd likely be your chain.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

3/25/2018 9:20 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/25/2018 9:21 PM

Caleb__ wrote:

My bike keeps clicking when I do anything either manuals, jhops, you can make it, but when I start pushing with my left crank ...more

What kind of cranks do you have 48 spline, 8 spline, 2 piece, 3 piece etc.? Is it possible your crank arms are slipping on the spindle; do you occasionally ride with loose cranks? Not sure it will help just trying to think of any variables left out.

|

3/25/2018 10:33 PM

Do you use grease? There should be grease anywhere metal touches metal. Also check your crank arm/chainstay clearance, your cranks will flex when you pedal, so if they're too close to the chainstay they might be knocking it

|

3/25/2018 10:33 PM

My cranks click when a bunch of black crust builds up in the vallies of the sprocket teeth and on the chain rollers. . Is your chain dry and cruddy like mine?

|

In midschool bike rides you.

3/26/2018 9:29 AM

Caleb__ wrote:

My bike keeps clicking when I do anything either manuals, jhops, you can make it, but when I start pushing with my left crank ...more

Bulletpup wrote:

What kind of cranks do you have 48 spline, 8 spline, 2 piece, 3 piece etc.? Is it possible your crank arms are slipping on the ...more

I have 8spline cranks and it's a two piece crank and I ride medium when it comes to loose or tight

|

3/26/2018 9:30 AM

DrewH85 wrote:

My cranks click when a bunch of black crust builds up in the vallies of the sprocket teeth and on the chain rollers. . Is your ...more

It dosent seem to be. I generally clean it about every month and I only do park and street so it dosent get dirt on it generally

|

3/26/2018 9:32 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Do you use grease? There should be grease anywhere metal touches metal. Also check your crank arm/chainstay clearance, your ...more

I've got plenty clearance and I keep my chain tight but loose enough to crank flip

|

3/26/2018 9:57 AM

DrewH85 wrote:

My cranks click when a bunch of black crust builds up in the vallies of the sprocket teeth and on the chain rollers. . Is your ...more

Caleb__ wrote:

It dosent seem to be. I generally clean it about every month and I only do park and street so it dosent get dirt on it ...more

Do you grind concrete?

|

3/27/2018 5:35 AM

DrewH85 wrote:

Caleb__ wrote:

It dosent seem to be. I generally clean it about every month and I only do park and street so it dosent get dirt on it ...more

Bulletpup wrote:

Do you grind concrete?

I stall concrete. I've got metal pegs

|

3/27/2018 5:36 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

Did you pull the cranks off and run the bearings with your finger? They could spin fine, just spinning the cranks because of ...more

Caleb__ wrote:

I just got new pedals because I thought that was the problem, I took my chain off but my chain is also brand new. About 3-4 ...more

p1p1092 wrote:

Let's start eliminating things so; take off the sprocket, along with the chain and try to make the noise happen again. If you ...more

I'll try some things. Thanks for the help smile

|

3/27/2018 9:12 AM

Caleb__ wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

Do you grind concrete?

Caleb__ wrote:

You probably already see where I'm going with this... But perhaps the concrete dust is creeping into your parts? I know when I do a lot of grinds on concrete without wax or stalls the desk it's all over my driver area my chain my cranks my bottom bracket area and my sprocket. Just a thought

|

3/28/2018 2:43 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

Do you grind concrete?

Caleb__ wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

You probably already see where I'm going with this... But perhaps the concrete dust is creeping into your parts? I know when I ...more

I understand where you're coming from but u think it's probably my sprocket, crank arms, or bottom bracket. I recently cleaned and re lubed my bottom bracket though

|

3/28/2018 3:41 PM

Caleb__ wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

You probably already see where I'm going with this... But perhaps the concrete dust is creeping into your parts? I know when I ...more

Caleb__ wrote:

I understand where you're coming from but u think it's probably my sprocket, crank arms, or bottom bracket. I recently cleaned ...more

Can you make a video about it? Do slow cranks, try to do only left foot cranks then only right etc.

|