Help with choosing a freecoaster

Related:
Create New Tag

8/6/2019 5:01 AM

My current freecoaster, United supreme, has started to break. Whenever I pedal the hub randomly disengages while I'm pedaling forwards so I've decided to get a new hub, I'm not sure which one I should get however.
I'm trying to decide between the federal motion freecoaster and the shadow optimised hub. They're both on sale for the same price so I'm having a hard time deciding which one I should get

|

8/6/2019 5:50 AM

Disengages or won't engage? If it's the latter, replace the spring-loaded ball bearings that put friction on the clutch. They're quite cheap: [link]

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

8/6/2019 6:27 AM

they're all pretty much the same, get a profile coaster or an ezra coaster.

|

fack off

8/6/2019 7:19 AM

Have you tried maintaining the hub?

Because this is what happens when you don't maintain the hub.

I've had many riders bring me their freecoaster wheel to "fix" when it starts doing this, I just take it apart, clean it, scrub the ball springs, and regrease it and it works like new again.

Or sometimes the ball springs go bad. You can buy replacements for under $10 usually.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

8/6/2019 9:55 AM

Odyssey clutch v2

|

8/6/2019 1:54 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

Disengages or won't engage? If it's the latter, replace the spring-loaded ball bearings that put friction on the clutch. They're quite cheap: [link]

I'm honestly not sure if it's a problem of engagement or random disengagement. Basically I go to pedal forwards and there's a lot more slack than there should be so I guess it won't engage properly?

|

8/6/2019 1:55 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Have you tried maintaining the hub?

Because this is what happens when you don't maintain the hub.

I've had many riders bring me their freecoaster wheel to "fix" when it starts doing this, I just take it apart, clean it, scrub the ball springs, and regrease it and it works like new again.

Or sometimes the ball springs go bad. You can buy replacements for under $10 usually.

I maintain it, it started doing this and I took it apart and regreased everything and maintained it and it kept doing it so it might be the ball bearing?

|

8/6/2019 1:58 PM

.pegless. wrote:

Odyssey clutch v2

I don't have the money for that

|

8/6/2019 2:19 PM

Mish2353 wrote:

I'm honestly not sure if it's a problem of engagement or random disengagement. Basically I go to pedal forwards and there's a lot more slack than there should be so I guess it won't engage properly?

In that case, the link in my previous post should fix the problem. You should also check that the ball bearings haven't worn a groove into the clutch. If they have, you'll need to replace the clutch too.

If you decide to fix the hub, be sure to put plenty of grease in the clutch, where the ball bearings run.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

8/7/2019 1:58 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

Mish2353 wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

In that case, the link in my previous post should fix the problem. You should also check that the ball bearings haven't worn a groove into the clutch. If they have, you'll need to replace the clutch too.

If you decide to fix the hub, be sure to put plenty of grease in the clutch, where the ball bearings run.

I'll do that, thanks for the advice!

|

8/7/2019 7:51 PM

primo freemix is the best

|