Help with gear ratio!

Related:
Create New Tag

1/11/2014 7:43 PM

So I am currently running 24-8 and keep my chain really tight. So what I'm wondering is if 25-8 is too much and how much more resistance would there be? Does anybody even run 25-8 because I don't think I've ever seen it. Thanks.

|

1/11/2014 7:49 PM

25-8 is just the slightest bit harder than 28-9. But 8 tooth drivers fucking blow. Seriously. Not only is the driver itself weak, but chains are only really made to go around 10 tooth drivers, so 9t is already pushing it.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

1/11/2014 7:49 PM

It should be fine chains always snap no matter what after wear n tear ......don't see many guys running 8 tooth drivers you should try out 44 to 8 that'd be crazy

|

1/11/2014 7:53 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

25-8 is just the slightest bit harder than 28-9. But 8 tooth drivers fucking blow. Seriously. Not only is the driver itself weak, but chains are only really made to go around 10 tooth drivers, so 9t is already pushing it.

I've never ridden 28-9, so I don't know how that would be. But I've only killed one 8t driver so far and that was after at least 3 years of running it with my chain wicked tight. Do you know if running your chain tight ruins the driver quicker at all?

|

1/11/2014 7:55 PM

ajohn15 wrote:

I've never ridden 28-9, so I don't know how that would be. But I've only killed one 8t driver so far and that was after at least 3 years of running it with my chain wicked tight. Do you know if running your chain tight ruins the driver quicker at all?

Yeah, definitely, if you don't have needle bearings or bushings your driver bearings will blow extremely fast. Even if you do have needles/bushings it still wears your chain faster.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

1/11/2014 8:01 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

Yeah, definitely, if you don't have needle bearings or bushings your driver bearings will blow extremely fast. Even if you do have needles/bushings it still wears your chain faster.

Yeah I just run it tight so my cranks don't move around on tailwhips , but I've seen a lot of people (mostly mtb'ers) putting peices of tubes or flanges in their spindle and kind of want to try that. I also read on Ryan Taylors bike check or something that he puts pieces of rubber bands in the springs of his driver. Does a Primo remix use needle bearings?

|

1/11/2014 8:17 PM

yeah 8t burn your shit out... idk how much stress itll do at 25-8 but im pretty sure there was a local by me that rode it for a bit... he didn't really ride hard or anything so it lasted a while

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

1/13/2014 6:17 AM

eskimojay wrote:

It should be fine chains always snap no matter what after wear n tear ......don't see many guys running 8 tooth drivers you should try out 44 to 8 that'd be crazy

I'm actually going to try 44/9 sometime cuz I got a shitload of crappy walmart bikes. I'm also going to make a freecoaster out of a coaster brake hub.

|

I haven't rode in forever so I suck and I have 2 Hondas. Follow me on Instagram @softtop2k.417

1/13/2014 6:23 AM

ajohn15 wrote:

Yeah I just run it tight so my cranks don't move around on tailwhips , but I've seen a lot of people (mostly mtb'ers) putting peices of tubes or flanges in their spindle and kind of want to try that. I also read on Ryan Taylors bike check or something that he puts pieces of rubber bands in the springs of his driver. Does a Primo remix use needle bearings?

If that's why you should get that new vocal bb that helps stop your cranks for whips etc. Then your chain and driver will last even longer!

|

NEW Bike check
That InstaGram ting - @EddiMundo
Raw Clips Edit

KriB Life YouTube channel (Click on the pic!)

1/13/2014 7:03 AM

I ran 25/8 for 2.5 years with zero problems. Make sure you have a primo hub or any other hub with needle driver bearings. The stolen 8ts are shit. I always ran fairly tight chains. But it worked great, aslong as youve got a good chain. That gear ratio demolished my KMC 710, Cult halflink, and KMC 410. I ran my KMC 410H on that ratio for majority of that time and never broke a link. I just handed it off to my friend and got an Eclat Diesel and a new 9t hub and 28t sprocket.

25/8 is definitely doable, just get a heavy duty chain, preferably a Wipperman 1r8 or KMC 410H/510.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

1/13/2014 10:02 AM

I will be the one to mention this.

The lower the tooth count, the more likely you are to snap a chain just from pressure.

Look at it like this:

Back in the day, 44/16 was common. Roughly 22 teeth in front touched the chain, and about 8 in the back. Now with 25/9 being common, you have about 13 up front and 5 in the back. You nearly DOUBLE the stress the chain has to handle with 25/9.

So 24/8 will be about 12 up front cradling the chain, and 4 in the back. TONS of stress.

This is why chains break so much more often nowadays without impact.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/13/2014 10:06 AM

I use to run 30-8 felt better then 25-9

|

refs:spikez-mikelee-ScramHype-CGcaps-Droogskull-Blake El Gingero-hcpmichael

1/13/2014 12:58 PM

30-9 most perfect gear ratio of your life.

|

1/13/2014 2:15 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

I ran 25/8 for 2.5 years with zero problems. Make sure you have a primo hub or any other hub with needle driver bearings. The stolen 8ts are shit. I always ran fairly tight chains. But it worked great, aslong as youve got a good chain. That gear ratio demolished my KMC 710, Cult halflink, and KMC 410. I ran my KMC 410H on that ratio for majority of that time and never broke a link. I just handed it off to my friend and got an Eclat Diesel and a new 9t hub and 28t sprocket.

25/8 is definitely doable, just get a heavy duty chain, preferably a Wipperman 1r8 or KMC 410H/510.

Yeah, I run a primo remix hub with a shadow halflink chain. So I think I might be ok.

|

1/13/2014 2:17 PM

EddiMundo wrote:

If that's why you should get that new vocal bb that helps stop your cranks for whips etc. Then your chain and driver will last even longer!

Where can I order that? Doesn't 34r have some bb like that?

|

1/13/2014 2:32 PM

ajohn15 wrote:

Yeah, I run a primo remix hub with a shadow halflink chain. So I think I might be ok.

Your chain will separate.

|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

1/13/2014 2:43 PM

Youre going to kill that chain. For a few reasons.
A. Its halflink. Its design uses bent links, so when you put alot of tension on it, the links try to pull the bend out. And youre using it on the highest tension drive train on the market. Meaning it will stretch even easier which will cause it to eat away the teeth on your sprocket.
B. THE SHADOW HALFLINK IS MADE FOR 9T OR BIGGER DRIVERS ONLY!! If you run it on an 8t, your rollers wont sit all the way in the driver teeth and the plates will rest against the outside of the driver.

But yeah the 34r bearingless bottom bracket will keep them from free spinning. Its a really cool design.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon

1/13/2014 2:54 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Youre going to kill that chain. For a few reasons.
A. Its halflink. Its design uses bent links, so when you put alot of tension on it, the links try to pull the bend out. And youre using it on the highest tension drive train on the market. Meaning it will stretch even easier which will cause it to eat away the teeth on your sprocket.
B. THE SHADOW HALFLINK IS MADE FOR 9T OR BIGGER DRIVERS ONLY!! If you run it on an 8t, your rollers wont sit all the way in the driver teeth and the plates will rest against the outside of the driver.

But yeah the 34r bearingless bottom bracket will keep them from free spinning. Its a really cool design.

The V2 says you can run it with an 8t driver. I don't think that the original one was. Thanks for all of the help with this stuff to I appreciate the help.

|

1/13/2014 3:00 PM

ajohn15 wrote:

The V2 says you can run it with an 8t driver. I don't think that the original one was. Thanks for all of the help with this stuff to I appreciate the help.

Idk when I bought my v2, EVERYWHERE said "NO 8T!!!". But even if they do work, its an absolutely horrible idea. This (http://www.danscomp.com/products/899949/Chain_Replacement_Gift_Pack.html) is $12 and includes a heavy duty chain (the one that lasted me forever and never broke), a chain breaker, lubricant, and a bag.

|

1/13/2014 3:04 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Idk when I bought my v2, EVERYWHERE said "NO 8T!!!". But even if they do work, its an absolutely horrible idea. This (http://www.danscomp.com/products/899949/Chain_Replacement_Gift_Pack.html) is $12 and includes a heavy duty chain (the one that lasted me forever and never broke), a chain breaker, lubricant, and a bag.

Yeah I see what you mean, but the only problem I've had was that some of the pins are not that snug.

|

1/13/2014 4:19 PM

United Bikes Rider wrote:

30-9 most perfect gear ratio of your life.

This......30 9 is where the party's at

|