Help with hub guard issue?

Related:
Create New Tag

4/18/2016 6:16 PM

When ever I grind, my front hub guard tightens super super tight (its threaded). So tight that it almost stops the front wheel from spinning. I was going to just put a washer between the hub and the guard, but I cant get the guard off for the life of me. Help? I just took the pegs off until I figure out what the issue is. Ill put pics up later if you need them.

|

"haha, did you steal that bike? hurhrhrurhurr" "no, fuck you thats just the brand."

4/18/2016 7:04 PM

What hub and hub guard?

Is it just when you grind, or is your wheel already tight once you tighten your axle nuts/bolts down? It could be that when you tighten your wheel to the fork, it's shifting and causing the guard to tighten up then... But if it's only when you grind, that's odd.

To get it off, does the axle have an allen key insert? could use that to hold the axle and then use a wrench (if your guard has wrench flats on it) to loosen it up. If not, vice grips would work. Or a monkey wrench haha I got a stuck Cult hub guard off like that before. If it doesn't have an allen key insert, bolt it to the outside of your fork dropouts and use a wrench or vice grips as described above

|

4/19/2016 7:23 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

What hub and hub guard?

Is it just when you grind, or is your wheel already tight once you tighten your axle nuts/bolts down? It could be that when you tighten your wheel to the fork, it's shifting and causing the guard to tighten up then... But if it's only when you grind, that's odd.

To get it off, does the axle have an allen key insert? could use that to hold the axle and then use a wrench (if your guard has wrench flats on it) to loosen it up. If not, vice grips would work. Or a monkey wrench haha I got a stuck Cult hub guard off like that before. If it doesn't have an allen key insert, bolt it to the outside of your fork dropouts and use a wrench or vice grips as described above

Its kind of both. If I tighten the fork it has a very small amount of resistence, unless I somehow move the guard like a 1/8 of a turn. Then the grinds make it 10x worse. The hub is whats on the Stolen Revolution OE, the guard is the Stolen Revolution that came with it. Ill have to try the vice grips trick if I have one big enough. The guard doesnt have any flats or anything and the axle doesnt have allen key inserts. I just said fuck it and rode it around tight for a few minutes one day and the hub shell was so hot that it burned my fingers and gave me a blister. Im not sure how nothing got screwed up. The hub is sealed if that helps with anything. Was happening with the rear too but since the guard is aluminum, the threads on it just stripped out and I havent had problems with the rear since.

|

"haha, did you steal that bike? hurhrhrurhurr" "no, fuck you thats just the brand."

4/19/2016 9:21 PM

That's fcked. You should probably replace your bearings while you're at it. But as stated above, hub guards shouldn't be moving AT ALL if the hub is properly tightened down. Only plastic sleeves or plastic hub guards should shift, and even slightly at that. It also depends on which side you grind on and possibly whether you run anti-roll pins on your pegs or not. If you grind forward on the left (assuming you don't run anti-roll pins), your pegs would technically loosen themselves, so this wouldn't make sense unless you were grinding backwards. And the opposite would apply for grinding forward and backwards on the right side. It honestly might be the tightening of the hub. If all fails, try finding two wrenches to tighten your wheel all at once so that you don't have to tighten one side at a time and have the hub shift.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

4/20/2016 8:07 AM

If your hub gets hot , you done goofed it lol

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

4/20/2016 9:51 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/20/2016 9:51 AM

isnowyaznV2 wrote:

That's fcked. You should probably replace your bearings while you're at it. But as stated above, hub guards shouldn't be moving AT ALL if the hub is properly tightened down. Only plastic sleeves or plastic hub guards should shift, and even slightly at that. It also depends on which side you grind on and possibly whether you run anti-roll pins on your pegs or not. If you grind forward on the left (assuming you don't run anti-roll pins), your pegs would technically loosen themselves, so this wouldn't make sense unless you were grinding backwards. And the opposite would apply for grinding forward and backwards on the right side. It honestly might be the tightening of the hub. If all fails, try finding two wrenches to tighten your wheel all at once so that you don't have to tighten one side at a time and have the hub shift.

Yeah, I have anti roll pins. I'm so confused on how this is all happening. The guard has no way to tighten on the threads as there is no space that allows it to. Even if it moves a little, it shouldn't be enough to almost stop my wheel from spinning more than a second. I tighten the bolts and all that shit down as much as I can and the hub still moves free and everything spins as it should. I am 100% sure everything is set up right. I also have the lock washers that should stop the wheel from moving in the dropouts, but even so I don't see how it would shift if I have the bolts really tight. I don't mind running no pegs, but it would be nice to have them again.

|

4/20/2016 9:53 AM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

If your hub gets hot , you done goofed it lol

Haha, thats just because I was riding home when the hub was really tight since I didn't want to walk. Everything spins fine and nothing melted too, so I guess I lucked out, aside from burning myself.

|

7/24/2017 12:44 PM

owen.lox wrote:

When ever I grind, my front hub guard tightens super super tight (its threaded). So tight that it almost stops the front wheel from spinning. I was going to just put a washer between the hub and the guard, but I cant get the guard off for the life of me. Help? I just took the pegs off until I figure out what the issue is. Ill put pics up later if you need them.

I am having the same issue as you I can not figure out for the life of me how to get these front hub guards off

|