Help with my research

Related:
Create New Tag

2/21/2019 4:09 AM

Hi all!

I work for a UK cycling company. We produce all kinds of bikes but I'm currently leaning more towards BMX.
I used to ride BMX as a young lad but so much has changed. Please could you help a guy out just trying to climb the ladder of a huge company. I've made a google survey with a few questions about BMX and riding.

https://goo.gl/forms/mR41vStgwWfh9Yjc2

Would be awesome if I can take 60 seconds of your time

Thanks
Dan

|

2/21/2019 9:09 AM

Done. Good luck!

|

2/21/2019 9:39 AM

HGD/DAN wrote:

Hi all!

I work for a UK cycling company. We produce all kinds of bikes but I'm currently leaning more towards BMX.
I used to ride BMX as a young lad but so much has changed. Please could you help a guy out just trying to climb the ladder of a huge company. I've made a google survey with a few questions about BMX and riding.

Thanks
Dan

I would suggest not working for collective and maybe look for a position somewhere else.

|

Hmmm

2/21/2019 9:43 AM

Please could you help a guy out just trying to climb the ladder of a huge company.

Woof.
|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

2/21/2019 9:44 AM

Collective might take off and do well , mike varga and brock hornemann are destroyers

|

2/21/2019 9:48 AM

eskimojay wrote:

Collective might take off and do well , mike varga and brock hornemann are destroyers

Man I bet they would be sick on some wheelie bikes ????????

|

Hmmm

2/21/2019 10:04 AM

Thanks for the response on this will help me out a lot!

|

2/21/2019 10:06 AM

HGD/DAN wrote:

Hi all!

Thanks
Dan

Edman123 wrote:

I would suggest not working for collective and maybe look for a position somewhere else.

Ha so you guys not a fan of collective bikes? would you say they are the new mafiabike?

|

2/21/2019 10:12 AM

HGD/DAN wrote:

Hi all!

Thanks
Dan

Edman123 wrote:

HGD/DAN wrote:

Ha so you guys not a fan of collective bikes? would you say they are the new mafiabike?

I wouldn't say that, they have had a bad start with the BMX community but I think they have potential, I'm not sure what they are doing but generally if they are sponsoring good riders.and taking care of them they should be alright, any company that makes mainly completes is never going to be the most popular among experienced riders

|

Hmmm

2/21/2019 10:13 AM

HGD/DAN wrote:

Hi all!

Thanks
Dan

Edman123 wrote:

HGD/DAN wrote:

They're exactly the same thing as mafia bikes. It's just cheap tat marketed at kids that don't know any better by a YouTube personality.

|

2/21/2019 10:32 AM

I took the survey for ya! Best of luck dude!

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

2/21/2019 10:40 AM

Edman123 wrote:

I wouldn't say that, they have had a bad start with the BMX community but I think they have potential, I'm not sure what they are doing but generally if they are sponsoring good riders.and taking care of them they should be alright, any company that makes mainly completes is never going to be the most popular among experienced riders

Yeh i can defiantly see potential if they focus on the product. Think doing videos with KSI and the paul brothers doesn't really help but thats what company's want for exposure. you think that there just getting grief because they are a budget brand then? who is offering the best beginner completes at the moment?

|

2/21/2019 11:20 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/21/2019 11:21 AM

HGD/DAN wrote:

Edman123 wrote:

HGD/DAN wrote:

Yeh i can defiantly see potential if they focus on the product. Think doing videos with KSI and the paul brothers doesn't really help but thats what company's want for exposure. you think that there just getting grief because they are a budget brand then? who is offering the best beginner completes at the moment?

Also getting grief because Ryan Taylor is now has a major social media presence outside of BMX and doesn't represent the sport in a very favourable light.

Obviously he knows how to appeal to the masses and he could be getting lots of kids into BMX but the kids parents/carers are unlikely to like the idea that their kid is looking up to someone who gained a large following by illegally trespassing and making videos about it.

Tl,Dr: The biggest thing that collective have going for them is also the biggest thing collective have going against them.

|

Hmmm

2/21/2019 11:50 AM

HGD/DAN wrote:

Edman123 wrote:

HGD/DAN wrote:

They don't need exposure gained from the outside if the products speak for themselves. But, the market is saturated as it is. There is no money in bmx.

I think it's a kick in the teeth to the brands that have been around through thick and thin for new cheap brands to pop up, literally offering nothing to the industry, but overly promote in such a soulless way to make money.

Bmx is, and should be a very "for us, by us" industry. Not "for the masses, to line a few individuals pockets".

Collective won't last. The bmx industry will never take it seriously (just like mafia).

|

2/21/2019 2:13 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

They don't need exposure gained from the outside if the products speak for themselves. But, the market is saturated as it is. There is no money in bmx.

I think it's a kick in the teeth to the brands that have been around through thick and thin for new cheap brands to pop up, literally offering nothing to the industry, but overly promote in such a soulless way to make money.

Bmx is, and should be a very "for us, by us" industry. Not "for the masses, to line a few individuals pockets".

Collective won't last. The bmx industry will never take it seriously (just like mafia).

This right here!
|

2/21/2019 3:32 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/21/2019 4:20 PM

Edman123 wrote:

HGD/DAN wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

Mafia has only increased their offerings from bikes to parts, since I have been aware of them. I'd venture to say they are doing fairly well compared to some other bmx companies. Just because many hardcore bmx riders might not support them, doesn't mean a ton of newer riders won't start off with them and possibly stick with them when it comes time to upgrade certain parts. Familiarity is a huge thing, I think we all are well aware of this fact. I wouldn't buy most of their products based on the designs but I would have no problem supporting them if they had a product that struck my fancy and was priced reasonably.

Anyway, to the OP, Collective doesn't have the best reputation on these forums but we only represent a microscopic percentage of the community. Most riders don't deal with forums or at least most riders don't contribute to them. Some might pop by a forum to ask for help here and there, or just to read why their hub is skipping but by no means, does this online forum represent the majority of the bmx community.

Regardless of what some may think, any company can attain a bad reputation fairly quickly but that can be turned around by hard work and good, caring people behind the process; Eastern comes to mind.

Something most people forget, is any businesses first goal should always be profit, without profit, you cant treat your employees good or at least for very long. Happy employees equate to company loyalty and in-turn they will provide better customer service. Without profit, you can't bring new ideas to the table. Without new ideas, your product becomes stale and eventually becomes irrelevant. There is a saying: you can't possibly care about others if you don't first care for yourself.

More people riding is not a bad thing, it's been discussed here before. Even the people that buy top dollar bikes and never step on the pedals, is a good thing. The more people buying bmx the better chance you have your favorite parts available when you need/want them.

Bmx is not a secret society, only the elite few know about. People recognize what I am doing immediately when I'm riding street or at a skatepark. There is no secret knock you have to know to get in through the back door to ride...You dont need an invitation from the bmx gods, you just have to buy a bike and start riding. Bmx is growing and there is always room for more in the community. The fact that there are so many companies offering parts and bikes is a direct testament to how many people are purchasing. Companies don't like to make stuff that doesn't sell, that's not good business.

|

2/21/2019 8:30 PM

HGD/DAN wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

Mafia has only increased their offerings from bikes to parts, since I have been aware of them. I'd venture to say they are doing fairly well compared to some other bmx companies. Just because many hardcore bmx riders might not support them, doesn't mean a ton of newer riders won't start off with them and possibly stick with them when it comes time to upgrade certain parts. Familiarity is a huge thing, I think we all are well aware of this fact. I wouldn't buy most of their products based on the designs but I would have no problem supporting them if they had a product that struck my fancy and was priced reasonably.

Anyway, to the OP, Collective doesn't have the best reputation on these forums but we only represent a microscopic percentage of the community. Most riders don't deal with forums or at least most riders don't contribute to them. Some might pop by a forum to ask for help here and there, or just to read why their hub is skipping but by no means, does this online forum represent the majority of the bmx community.

Regardless of what some may think, any company can attain a bad reputation fairly quickly but that can be turned around by hard work and good, caring people behind the process; Eastern comes to mind.

Something most people forget, is any businesses first goal should always be profit, without profit, you cant treat your employees good or at least for very long. Happy employees equate to company loyalty and in-turn they will provide better customer service. Without profit, you can't bring new ideas to the table. Without new ideas, your product becomes stale and eventually becomes irrelevant. There is a saying: you can't possibly care about others if you don't first care for yourself.

More people riding is not a bad thing, it's been discussed here before. Even the people that buy top dollar bikes and never step on the pedals, is a good thing. The more people buying bmx the better chance you have your favorite parts available when you need/want them.

Bmx is not a secret society, only the elite few know about. People recognize what I am doing immediately when I'm riding street or at a skatepark. There is no secret knock you have to know to get in through the back door to ride...You dont need an invitation from the bmx gods, you just have to buy a bike and start riding. Bmx is growing and there is always room for more in the community. The fact that there are so many companies offering parts and bikes is a direct testament to how many people are purchasing. Companies don't like to make stuff that doesn't sell, that's not good business.

Mafia have (somewhat) matured due to the hate they got, and I respect that. Collective are only known because of the mafia hate and YouTube arguments that started. That Ryan Taylor started claiming collective were better, but they're no different. I just think we owe it to the older brands to support them more. Without them, we wouldn't be here.
I think it's good there's more riders. But there's also a lot of new brands, and a lot of brands are struggling.
The mongoose L100 is a pretty dialled bike for the price. If mafia and collective are selling direct, how can't they compete with that? For the same kind of money you get a crap, hi ten everything, generic department store bike with one piece cranks. That doesn't really tell me quality and offering good affordable bikes matters, but mark up and profit does. But they're marketed as being great. Essentially lying to kids about what they're getting. And the kids don't realise they aren't the bikes being ridden by their favourite youtuber.
Iirc, mafia now offer a good bike, full chromoly etc. It's relatively cheap, but still noticeably more than the L100? And I think collective offer something similar with firma parts? That should be there base model. Bikes cost money. There's no point pumping out crap bikes claiming to want to get more kids into bmx, if those bikes are going to fail. Kids can't afford to get them fixed, so go back to playing fortnite instead. A parent won't be keen on paying out to replace parts. Especially when the current base models aren't the most compatible with aftermarket parts (external headset cups, US bb etc). They might think they're getting a good bike, then bam! A good rear wheel to replace the cheap one costs as much as the whole bike did.

New riders need more education, but non of the new brands are willing to explain that the base model bikes are pretty shit. Or what actually is the difference between their cheapest bike and a more expensive bike. The information is out there. But it's hard to find in the sea of "buy this bike and be like me!" youtube videos.

|

2/21/2019 9:46 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

Mafia have (somewhat) matured due to the hate they got, and I respect that. Collective are only known because of the mafia hate and YouTube arguments that started. That Ryan Taylor started claiming collective were better, but they're no different. I just think we owe it to the older brands to support them more. Without them, we wouldn't be here.
I think it's good there's more riders. But there's also a lot of new brands, and a lot of brands are struggling.
The mongoose L100 is a pretty dialled bike for the price. If mafia and collective are selling direct, how can't they compete with that? For the same kind of money you get a crap, hi ten everything, generic department store bike with one piece cranks. That doesn't really tell me quality and offering good affordable bikes matters, but mark up and profit does. But they're marketed as being great. Essentially lying to kids about what they're getting. And the kids don't realise they aren't the bikes being ridden by their favourite youtuber.
Iirc, mafia now offer a good bike, full chromoly etc. It's relatively cheap, but still noticeably more than the L100? And I think collective offer something similar with firma parts? That should be there base model. Bikes cost money. There's no point pumping out crap bikes claiming to want to get more kids into bmx, if those bikes are going to fail. Kids can't afford to get them fixed, so go back to playing fortnite instead. A parent won't be keen on paying out to replace parts. Especially when the current base models aren't the most compatible with aftermarket parts (external headset cups, US bb etc). They might think they're getting a good bike, then bam! A good rear wheel to replace the cheap one costs as much as the whole bike did.

New riders need more education, but non of the new brands are willing to explain that the base model bikes are pretty shit. Or what actually is the difference between their cheapest bike and a more expensive bike. The information is out there. But it's hard to find in the sea of "buy this bike and be like me!" youtube videos.

I agree there are better bikes for the prices of some of these hi-ten bikes. I think it is hard for companies to compete with Mongoose, based on how recognizable the brand is. I can't count how many times an older guy has walked up to me and asked if my bike was a Mongoose; 2 times in the past couple months, few times at my work, many times at skateparks.

All I can think, as to why they would do this, is profit margins. Most the people they are selling to are uniformed, as you mentioned. Most of those same people will likely move on to a different hobby and never have fully used the bike to it's potential, we can assume.

It's unfortunate but It's smart. We do our best to guide people in a direction that is geared a bit more towards their longevity and progression rather than counting on them to leave the sport before something breaks but we can't fault companies for knowing the playing field and stomping it as best they can.

I don't like that Sunday offers hi-ten completes for the price they do. How many times do we get the question "Sunday blueprint vs. _______?" and both are not something we'd recommend for the price. Yet I and many others still support Sunday and understand they are trying to maximize the profit on the lower priced completes.

Regardless, the hi-ten, looseball, 2-piece steerer, pinned, single-wall rimmed, cast stemmed, stamped steel sprocket bike is still a "gateway" to a cool world and the more the person chooses to learn, the more able they are to make an informed decision later on. The first step is almost always not the best but as you carve your own groove and gain helpful connections it becomes easier, aka Vital.

That being said, I will not recommend any complete bike that falls short of a high value, no matter what company makes it.

|

2/22/2019 4:25 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

I agree there are better bikes for the prices of some of these hi-ten bikes. I think it is hard for companies to compete with Mongoose, based on how recognizable the brand is. I can't count how many times an older guy has walked up to me and asked if my bike was a Mongoose; 2 times in the past couple months, few times at my work, many times at skateparks.

All I can think, as to why they would do this, is profit margins. Most the people they are selling to are uniformed, as you mentioned. Most of those same people will likely move on to a different hobby and never have fully used the bike to it's potential, we can assume.

It's unfortunate but It's smart. We do our best to guide people in a direction that is geared a bit more towards their longevity and progression rather than counting on them to leave the sport before something breaks but we can't fault companies for knowing the playing field and stomping it as best they can.

I don't like that Sunday offers hi-ten completes for the price they do. How many times do we get the question "Sunday blueprint vs. _______?" and both are not something we'd recommend for the price. Yet I and many others still support Sunday and understand they are trying to maximize the profit on the lower priced completes.

Regardless, the hi-ten, looseball, 2-piece steerer, pinned, single-wall rimmed, cast stemmed, stamped steel sprocket bike is still a "gateway" to a cool world and the more the person chooses to learn, the more able they are to make an informed decision later on. The first step is almost always not the best but as you carve your own groove and gain helpful connections it becomes easier, aka Vital.

That being said, I will not recommend any complete bike that falls short of a high value, no matter what company makes it.

I think it's good they're making fancy coloured bikes to encourage the kids to ride and be stoked on their bike. And for the most part are showing bmx in a fairly positive way (apart from Ryan Taylor being an actual cnut, and acting like a moron in a lot of his videos). My biggest issue is how they're marketed as being good. There's plenty of cheap bikes already out there. Most brands make a bike very similar to both mafia and collective. I just don't see how either are putting anything back into bmx though.
Midget Corey sells cheap frames direct, but actually tells his customers the frames are really good for the price, but they should also support other brands/local shops etc.

Mafia learned a lot from the criticism they got (for selling direct, poor customer services, and everyone saying the aftermarket frames were weak). And they changed to be more accomodated by the industry. I don't think it really worked, but no one's going on about them as much now. Collective just jumped on the mafia hating bandwagon, and learnt from mafias mistakes, but essentially copied exactly what mafia do. They sell through a few shops, but I'd bet the vast majority of their sales is direct (much like mafia, they're probably a lot more popular this side of the pond). I just don't like the arrogance of Harry main or Ryan Taylor. Arrogance is something I really can't tolerate. Even though I'm probably a lot more arrogant than I realise ?

|

2/23/2019 3:18 PM

Did the survey to help a homie out. If collective wants to add something to the industry that would be relatively easy, make a full chromoly 18” bike. One thing that hurts bmx is there are no real bikes for young kids to ride. Skateboarding, surfing, scootering, snowboarding etc all has high quality setups for kids that they can confidently huck shit on.

|

2/25/2019 12:18 AM

Thanks to everyone who did my survey. You guys really helped me out on this and I enjoyed reading all your points on the industry today. Thanks for everyone who not only took the time to answer my questions but also who posted on here. You guys are passionate about BMX and it really shows. Still collecting entries on my survey so anyone else who wants to do it that would be cool.

P.s Im not working for Mafia or Collective ha!

|

2/25/2019 5:22 AM

TheDarkEnergist wrote: Please could you help a guy out just trying to climb the ladder of a huge company.

Woof.

Pretty necessary if you want to not live horribly these days-especially with children.

Unless you pop into the trades-then good money can be had.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura