Help with popping/slipping cranks

Related:
Create New Tag

3/7/2016 4:07 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/7/2016 4:08 PM

I just purchased new stln talon cranks and there rhd/lhd and I put them on the right way and they slip whenever I pedal. My sprocket and pinch bolts are tight and everything. It's starting to piss me off. My hub and chain are loose if that helps.

|

3/7/2016 7:41 PM

Sounds like your hub is skipping, not your cranks.

Was the problem there before you put the cranks on?

|

3/7/2016 10:16 PM

It could also be worn driver or sprocket. But it doesn't sound like a crank issue. The popping could be bb bearings if you haven't used the correct length spacer

|

3/8/2016 7:19 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

The problem wasn't there with my old cranks.

|

3/8/2016 7:20 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

It could also be worn driver or sprocket. But it doesn't sound like a crank issue. The popping could be bb bearings if you ...more

What would be the correct length I have a 19mm spindle, I just used the spacers that came with it

|

3/8/2016 7:26 AM

That depends on the frame. Did you take your bb out at all or replace any of the spacers that were there before?
It sounds like the issue isn't the cranks, and it's just coincidence that something else is worn. Or you may have a wafty chainline, enough so the chain won't stay on the sprocket properly

|

3/8/2016 3:00 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

No it wasn't it might be my hub can you help?

|

3/8/2016 3:33 PM

If the teeth are worn, it will slip. It will also slip if the springs, pawls, or ratchet ring are worn or damaged. It's hard to say without stripping it and checking everything. Check your chainline, as that can cause your chain to feel like it skips if it's not straight enough as the chain won't engage on the teeth properly

|