Help with raw frame

Related:
Create New Tag

3/20/2018 4:27 PM

I need help ! I used fine sand paper and paint stripper to raw my frame and it turned out really bright silver. I wanted it to be a dark grey raw and i dont know what went wrong or how to make it darker? This is pre clear coat. Photo

|

3/20/2018 4:35 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/20/2018 4:39 PM

Problem is, you used sandpaper. Not much you can do but paint it. You might be able to get lots of very fine (800+ grit) and wet sand it until it's highly polished, then oil it. Or heat it... But you'd need a very large oven.

|

3/20/2018 4:38 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Problem is, you used sandpaper. Not much you can do but paint it. You might be able to get lots of very fine (800+ grit) and ...more

Ok thanks by oil it do you mean just rub oil on it ?

|

3/20/2018 4:40 PM

Yeah. But it needs to have the same sort of factory finish to the surreal that it had from the steel mill

|

3/20/2018 4:42 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Yeah. But it needs to have the same sort of factory finish to the surreal that it had from the steel mill

Cool, thanks man

|

3/20/2018 4:51 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/20/2018 4:52 PM

Np. Yeah.. if you can find some super fine same paper, use that and oil at the same time. Like soak the same paper and then sand. Keep adding oil periodically. It'll remove a lot of the scratches that are now reflecting light which makes it seem so bright. It seems counter intuitive but you want the steel to be as smooth as possible

|

3/20/2018 6:52 PM

Blue it like a gun. That always looks good

|

It’s all bmx

3/20/2018 10:25 PM

Or, give it a sick translucent kinda look with anodized spray paint! smile

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

3/20/2018 10:30 PM

Heat it up..best way to strip paint without changing factory color is sanblasting

|

3/21/2018 4:43 AM

NateBrown62 wrote:

Heat it up..best way to strip paint without changing factory color is sanblasting

Sandblasting, most certainly, changes the "color" of the natural (steel mill produced) finish and look.

|

3/21/2018 6:41 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Problem is, you used sandpaper. Not much you can do but paint it. You might be able to get lots of very fine (800+ grit) and ...more

cxnnxr.street wrote:

Ok thanks by oil it do you mean just rub oil on it ?

Rub oil on it now to get the dust and coating off. Make sure you get that thing REALLY clean.

One of these attached to a cordless drill, and go at it:

Photo

Then see if you can find this:

Photo

That stuff will absolutely darken the frame color about a shade or two. I've been messing around with rawing my old frame and have finally gotten good results. Let me know if you need any other advice.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

3/21/2018 12:02 PM

NateBrown62 wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Sandblasting, most certainly, changes the "color" of the natural (steel mill produced) finish and look.

That really depends on the media used. I've blasted quite a few frames and parts and never had the metal affected

|

3/21/2018 12:03 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/21/2018 1:11 PM

adamnmexican wrote:

You know, whats interesting about blueing is that it actually is eating away at the surface layer to create that finish. Not enough for it to really matter but I always thought it was more or less staining the steel rather than eating away the surface.

Youd need a lot of blueing agent...

|

3/21/2018 12:30 PM

NateBrown62 wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

NateBrown62 wrote:

That really depends on the media used. I've blasted quite a few frames and parts and never had the metal affected

Then you didn't "SANDblast". You "mediablasted"

|

3/22/2018 6:33 AM

adamnmexican wrote:

Photo
|

3/22/2018 7:53 AM

Just keep going up in grits. You don't understand what fine is until you've got to 6000.

|

3/22/2018 8:01 AM

jbales wrote:

Just keep going up in grits. You don't understand what fine is until you've got to 6000.

Agreed. I just figured he'd have a hard time finding the real fine stuff.

|

3/22/2018 8:02 AM

jbales wrote:

Wouldn't that just brighten it more? I feel like completely raw 4130 is pretty freaking bright. I know when I stripped my SE frame it had a dark coating (probably rust prevention) on it, and once I sanded that off it got bright. As I went up in grit and speed (once I switched to the cordless drill) It really just kept getting brighter and brighter.

|

3/22/2018 8:07 AM

Tinted lacquer is the answer.

|