Post what you think is unfair in bmx

Related:
Create New Tag

1/26/2017 5:39 AM

I am writing a speech about oppression on a specific group. My idea: BMX! I have a handful of ideas like not enough skateparks and getting kicked out of spots, but I wanted to ask you guys on vital how you guys feel oppressed. Let me know!! This is due tomorrow!

|

Fo' pegs or no pegs

1/26/2017 6:42 AM

Not at all. Riding bikes is complete freedom. If you don't think so, then your doing it wrong. The world isn't out to get you. Just relax. People don't like Thier property being destroyed. You wouldn't either. Do you know how expensive marble is? There's a reason we don't play football. BMX has no rules!

|

1/26/2017 6:44 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

Not at all. Riding bikes is complete freedom. If you don't think so, then your doing it wrong. The world isn't out to get you. ...more

This right here! Close this thread...

|

1/26/2017 6:45 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

Not at all. Riding bikes is complete freedom. If you don't think so, then your doing it wrong. The world isn't out to get you. ...more

seanthemechanic wrote:

This right here! Close this thread...

+1

|

"haha, did you steal that bike? hurhrhrurhurr" "no, fuck you thats just the brand."

1/26/2017 8:22 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

Agreed, I don't see any legitimate oppression.

Not enough skateparks? I'd say that's more a resource issue. Not allowing bikes in existing skateparks, or banning bikes during new park planning? I'd agree there's some discrimination there, but I think that's more about educating the local government and defeating the Big Skate lobby's dogmatic insistence that bikes destroy skateparks, crush babies, and fund terrorism. No small task indeed, but I wouldn't call it oppression. Getting kicked out of street spots? Not a leg to stand on there, full stop.

|

1/26/2017 8:45 AM

There is no opression. If you feel opressed while riding bmx, you're a pussy.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

1/26/2017 9:32 AM

Ask Nigel, he's still oppressed.

|

1/26/2017 10:07 AM

Sheldon. wrote:

Ask Nigel, he's still oppressed.

Fuck that guy

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

1/26/2017 10:59 AM

You guys are obviously missing the point. I could've worded it better but whatever. Thanks for posting anyway.

|

Fo' pegs or no pegs

1/26/2017 11:05 AM

Slaytanic Wehrmacht 666 wrote:

You guys are obviously missing the point. I could've worded it better but whatever. Thanks for posting anyway.

How are we missing the point? I've been riding bmx for 20 years and have never felt "oppressed!" And there are a lot of guys on here that have been riding for many years too. Bmx has and always will be the best times of my life! The friends you make, the times you have, the new tricks learned, it goes and goes! Bmx is what you make of it. If you feel that way you're doing something wrong! You get kicked out of spots and told to leave because you're destroying someone's property. You're not being oppressed. And as far as bikes not being allowed in a lot of skateparks is because we travel at a lot higher speed than skaters or scooter riders. Just be respectful and not a scum bag if someone tells you to leave and your bmx experience will be that much better

|

1/26/2017 11:08 AM

As a matter of fact, years ago we used to ride this old mans ledges in front of his business. He caught us one day and was pissed to no end! Instead of us cussing him out we came back and re painted all the ledges and I would go back and help him cut the lawn and what not and we became cool

|

1/26/2017 11:14 AM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

There is no opression. If you feel opressed while riding bmx, you're a pussy.

I didn't mean full on oppression, that's why I changed the thread name. I love bmx just as much as the next guy, this is just for the sake of a school assignment. If I'd explained the question in person you would have understood it better.

|

Fo' pegs or no pegs

1/26/2017 11:22 AM

seanthemechanic wrote:

How are we missing the point? I've been riding bmx for 20 years and have never felt "oppressed!" And there are a lot of guys ...more

Sorry, I feel like oppression isn't the proper word to use here. I have never felt oppressed while riding bmx, in fact the way you described it is almost spot on for me as well. I never once said that my bmx experience was bad.

|

Fo' pegs or no pegs

1/26/2017 12:06 PM

Oppression is a strong term. You have to be careful how you use it

|

1/26/2017 1:04 PM

Photo

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

1/26/2017 1:18 PM

Back in the day you could've argued that there was nowhere to ride. I grew up riding my local school, and building dirt jumps. There were no skateparks, the closest half pipe was in hastings or Crowhurst which were an hour drive away. The place we built our jumps would always get wrecked by motorbikes.
There were no online shops, and hardly any bike shops stocked bmx stuff. So again, we had to go to backyard in hastings if we wanted to buy anything. Most of the time you'd have to call them to make sure what you wanted was in stock, otherwise you'd just risk turning up and hoping they had what you wanted.
We didn't have YouTube or bmxmdb to find videos to watch. We didn't have Web edits, or instagram to get our fix. You had to literally wait until a video dropped.
ALL of our information, and most of our inspiration, came from magazines, that only a handful of shops stocked.

So I don't think there's anything to be even remotely upset about now. It's handed to you on a plate.

|

1/26/2017 1:52 PM

Fucken emo , if bmx makes you feel oppressed your doing it wrong

|

1/26/2017 4:11 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Back in the day you could've argued that there was nowhere to ride. I grew up riding my local school, and building dirt jumps. ...more

This is pretty much what I would have said.

We didn't have spots, so we made them. It's frowned upon because of damage, and the image being portrayed by popular BMX media. People youtube BMX and find videos of drugs and drunks, which is largely influencing the general public to disregard BMX.

Not being involved with parks is a large factor in why there aren't a lot of BMX friendly ones. Change that.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/26/2017 4:33 PM

not enough colored tires in 1.95 or smaller

|

It’s all bmx

1/26/2017 6:49 PM

Skateboarders spend lots of time and energy to get skateparks built. That's why some feel a sense of entitlement. It's not easy to get a town to build a skatepark, then some bikes come around, and put pegs through ramps. Bikes are also dangerous to skateboarders. They go at least twice as fast, and no one even has any breaks to stop quickly. Sometimes life isn't fair, but if you don't like it, just try and get your own park built. See how hard it is to do.

|

1/26/2017 7:16 PM

eskimojay wrote:

Fucken emo , if bmx makes you feel oppressed your doing it wrong

You read a few sentences that I wrote and I'm a fucken emo? I don't appreciate the disrespect. You obviously didn't read much of the thread.

|

Fo' pegs or no pegs

1/26/2017 7:23 PM

Getting kiked out of skateparks or street spots would be the worst experience ive had

|

1/26/2017 7:26 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/26/2017 7:27 PM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote: Photo

Grumpysteve: Back in the day you could've argued that there was nowhere to ride. I grew up riding my local school, and building dirt jumps. There were no skateparks, the closest half pipe was in hastings or Crowhurst which were an hour drive away. The place we built our jumps would always get wrecked by motorbikes.
There were no online shops, and hardly any bike shops stocked bmx stuff. So again, we had to go to backyard in hastings if we wanted to buy anything. Most of the time you'd have to call them to make sure what you wanted was in stock, otherwise you'd just risk turning up and hoping they had what you wanted.
We didn't have YouTube or bmxmdb to find videos to watch. We didn't have Web edits, or instagram to get our fix. You had to literally wait until a video dropped.
ALL of our information, and most of our inspiration, came from magazines, that only a handful of shops stocked.

So I don't think there's anything to be even remotely upset about now. It's handed to you on a plate.

^^^^ don't know how to multi-post so this is in italics ^^^^^^

I started riding in the '70's, where the situation was much like grumpysteve's.

back then, BMX was NOT a "counter culture"...it was a derivation of motorcycle dirt racing...motocross. We rode dirt tracks that were made originally for motorized bikes or even race cars, and or "singletrack" like Mountain bikers eventually would. There was no "Street" (at least in Central Ohio). There was no "fuck you" mentality, other than "F-you" to motors. There was no riding on, and destroying private property. We were young kids rebelling, but the "Sport" itself did not have the deviant culture that it eventually sucked in. BMX didn't become a deviant counter culture until the 90's when it had absorbed and mixed with skateboard culture.

As far as "oppression", the biggest thing I always noticed in the 70's was the way the moto-cross guys looked at us...usually with disdain and mockery. BUT, they were mostly older (18-25) guys and we were little kids, so I think there wa a lot of that there as well...like we were the "younger brother and his annoying friends". Most tracks would not let us ride b/c we were "not legit because we didn't have motors". That is why we headed into the woods and made our own trails.

I got out of BMX in the 90's (because I was stupid...)and missed, luckily, all of the intrusion of deviant stupidity. The era where BMXer's started getting the rep of being criminals, thugs etc. I saw that going on, and was sad to see the sport fall into that kind of image/reputation. I wonder if you (SlaytanicWermacht666) are defining "oppression" by the "heat" that deviant BMXers experience when they are breaking laws, then I can't comment on that since I did not participate in that culture of BMX. I WILL say that anytime someone bitches about getting busted for breaking laws, I feel no sympathy for them. You get what you deserve in this world, and making bad choices, especially when you know that they are bad, is just stupid and selfish. BMXer's bring on (and deserve) much of the "oppression" or "bullshit" that they get. It isn't "unfair",..it is the result of bad choices.

Now that I am older and back into it, I actually experience a kind of oppression that the young guys don't...that of people thinking that I am not an "adult" because I ride "a kids bike". I will be waiting at a traffic light, or practicing in front of the house, and people always drive by and say shit like :"hey buddy, aren't you too old for that bike?", or "grow up and ride an adult bike", or even better "when are you gonna move out of mom and dads basement?" I always feel sorry for them b/c I know I am mature enough, and have the nuggets to do what i want. I have not become a slave to societal "expectations" of age. I have owned my own home for 20+ years, work a job where I am well respected in my field...and I ride a BMX bike. To me that is more mature than sitting on my ass, drinking beer, and watching sports, and slaving away for "the man" because it is what is expected.

Sorry for the long post, but the subject matter got my old butt thinking....

now you damned kids get off my lawn and go ride your bikes!!!!

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

1/26/2017 7:27 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/26/2017 7:42 PM

I wish parts weren't so expensive (believe me, I get why they are).
Skaters can get a whole board for like 120 bucks. I can get a fork. That's a downer sometimes, but then on the flip side, a skater could go through 20 decks in a year, which is like 50 a piece, whereas my bike can last a couple years pretty easily.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/26/2017 7:27 PM

ina wrote:

Getting kiked out of skateparks or street spots would be the worst experience ive had

I once got kicked out of an empty skatepark for riding my bike there. Now THAT was a joke.

|

Fo' pegs or no pegs

1/26/2017 7:28 PM

ina wrote:

This. Getting kicked out of a street spot is understandable but a skatepark is just dumb. Atleast have certain hours or days dedicated to just BMX but most parks I talk to dont allow that.
Also, theres not enough bmx shops. Mountain bikes and road bikes have shops everywhere. I wish most of those shops also carried BMX bikes/parts and a knowledgeable technician

|

Smoke Drink Die

1/26/2017 7:32 PM

sorry but i couldnt care less wut u did bak in the 70s grumpy steve

|

1/26/2017 7:32 PM

sXeBMXer wrote:

Grumpysteve: Back in the day you could've argued that there was nowhere to ride. I grew up riding my local school, and ...more

OH MY GOD THIS.

I get harassed for being the "old" guy (I'm 31). It's ridiculous.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/26/2017 7:40 PM

sXeBMXer wrote:

Grumpysteve: Back in the day you could've argued that there was nowhere to ride. I grew up riding my local school, and ...more

I totally agree with you about getting what you deserve. As you probably could tell "oppression" was obviously the wrong word choice for explaining here. You actually gave me a good point, which would be getting shit from people who don't understand what we're doing. Since I'm only 16 riding a bike is a bit less odd to the non-bmxers, but I still get the same kind of stuff from time to time. Thanks for the help (even if you didn't mean to)

|

Fo' pegs or no pegs

1/26/2017 7:57 PM

Slaytanic Wehrmacht 666 wrote:

I totally agree with you about getting what you deserve. As you probably could tell "oppression" was obviously the wrong word ...more

no problem...and I knew that you were not meaning "oppression" so much as you were meaning "the crap that we deal with". And, I always gotta help out a fellow Slayer fan. I was hoping that some of the rant helped. AND that the possible bigger point could be that any culture or activity that does illegal things is ALWAYS going to be "oppressed"...and it is usually directly the participants fault, even though the participants will feel "innocent" or that they are "in the right".

Growing up a punker, I TOTALLY get rebellion....BUT you need to be SMART about it for it to be effective or mean something. Blatant law breaking, and belligerent attitude usually change VERY LITTLE and actually bring on more oppression. If you are crafty, and learn to play the forces you want to change, you can get more change, and usually get rid of oppression.

Earlier on in this thread, someone mentioned riding on a guys business and destroying stuff. The owner came out and yelled.

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence