Hesitant on bmxing

Related:
Create New Tag

7/22/2018 8:55 PM

So all my friends are pushing me to buy a scooter to go to the park with them. I told them scooter kids are gay and said I’ll just buy a bmx lol. But I really don’t know if I should. I kinda want something that’s easy and fun to get into but not as easy as scootering. I’m 5’10 and only have around 350$ so if I do buy a bike which bike should I buy and what size?

|

7/22/2018 9:00 PM

Mongoose Legion L100

|

7/22/2018 10:54 PM

jbales wrote:

Mongoose Legion L100

This. If you have a budget of around $350 then you’ll have $70 to spare on better pedals, some pegs, and a gyro (this is of course if you decide to pedal grind, peg grind, or do spin tricks such as tailwhips or barspins. The included pedals should do fine for a while if you pedal grind with them though.) You can save some money by using this combination of add on parts: odyssey mpegs ($13 for a pair, $26 for four, $20 odyssey m3 gyro (everything you need to set up a gyro: the gyro itself, upper and lower cables and cable stops, though the mongoose comes with stops so you won’t need them), odyssey twisted pedals $13. This equals $46-$59, which is a fully equipped full chromoly bike save for a front brake. Hell, you basically could get a front brake for a low price as well. The odyssey 1999 is a cheap alternative side pull caliper(not really a good kind of brake though) that will install through a hole in the steering tube of the fork, and has everything you need to install a front brake from cable, lever, and of course the brake for $17, though it’s not really great for smooth stopping tricks. You could also install a u-brake on the front by getting a u-brake plate, which installs the same way, then buying the odyssey Springfield kit, which should run you about $40-50 depending on the u-brake plate you buy ($10-20)
Note I’m not an odyssey-whore, they just happen to sell really quality stuff for prices way lower than they should charge.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

7/23/2018 8:44 AM

Get a bmx , scooters are gay

|

7/23/2018 9:40 AM

boy bye

|

It’s all bmx

7/23/2018 9:45 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/24/2018 12:28 PM

eskimojay wrote:

Get a bmx , scooters are gay

This. Bmx comes with the added bonus of getting pussy(cats) rather than being a pussy(cat).
EDIT:readybmxer is an exception to this rule, he rides bmx too.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

-jbales on mafiaBIKES

-adamnmexican

7/23/2018 9:49 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/23/2018 9:50 AM

A scooter vs a BMX bike... not even a conversation, ask Ryan Williams. He rode a scooter and was one of if not the top scooter rider in the world. But, he just finished his first XGames on a BMX and had a blast. He only had to ride BMX a little while before he decided he loved it. Now he pretty much is BMX only. BMX is a family riding around with friends is the core of the sport. Just have fun on a bike.

The Mongoose L100 will get you started and once you start you will be addicted. Nothing is as satisfying as doing your first trick or learning something new. It’s just so much fun I can’t explain it. I have rode BMX bikes for over 30yrs because I don’t think I can get tired of having the same fun over and over. Try it you won’t regret it and the friends that have scooters will notice and start getting BMX bikes trust me

|

7/23/2018 11:29 AM

BMX isn't easy but it's fun.

|

7/23/2018 11:36 AM

Here's something that doesn't seem to be crossing your mind...

Who cares what your friends want you to do?

Do your thing. If you think you wanna BMX, get a BMX. Overall its a more efficient and better way to get around along with being a little more of an established sport.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

7/23/2018 12:12 PM

If you're thinking of buying a scooter just because your friends say so, don't do it. If you really want to ride a scooter then go for it, but I'd still recommend BMX over scooting. Plus you'll have something good to use for transportation instead of a pogo stick with wheels on it.

That said, bmx isn't the easiest thing around but fun as hell.

|

7/23/2018 12:56 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/23/2018 12:58 PM

Scooters are not gay. Scooters are different.

That being said I think you have chosen a fun sport! smile

|

7/23/2018 1:36 PM

"Gay" isn't a derogative term anyway.

|

7/23/2018 1:40 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/23/2018 1:46 PM

Gack2000 wrote:

A scooter vs a BMX bike... not even a conversation, ask Ryan Williams. He rode a scooter and was one of if not the top scooter ...more

Ryan Williams is not BMX only. He's still and avid scooter rider. Heck, he was able to ride past X Games park courses off time on scooter since he preferred it. But like BMX, scootering is still a family. I've got two groups to call up and ride with.

Also, Ryan has been riding BMX off and on ever since he started scootering. Back in 2012 he learned 720 bars on both.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

7/23/2018 1:47 PM

If all your friends started sucking dicks, would you? The answer is No. Get a BMX.

|

7/23/2018 1:51 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/23/2018 1:52 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

Scooters are not gay. Scooters are different.

That being said I think you have chosen a fun sport! smile

True. It's important we draw distinctions like that. There's no reason to hate or dislike someone because of what method they choose to ride, what we should concentrate on is who does or doesn't adhere to skatepark/spot etiquette. Skaters/BMXers/Scooter/Inline all have jerks that do them. Can't escape it.

I still think BMX looks better though.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

7/23/2018 2:57 PM

Scooters are fun as fuck , fuck what everyone says . Would I go out and try to be pro ? No . But they can be super entertaining especially if you're not wanting to ride bikes 100%

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

7/23/2018 8:12 PM

jbales wrote:

Mongoose Legion L100

HavokDJ wrote:

This. If you have a budget of around $350 then you’ll have $70 to spare on better pedals, some pegs, and a gyro (this is of ...more

So I found a 2014 kink curb bike forr 180$. You seemed like the most experienced one that has commented so do u know if it’s a good bike. It’s a 20” top tube. Will it fit me?

|

7/23/2018 8:28 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/23/2018 8:30 PM

ryanpowell wrote:

So I found a 2014 kink curb bike forr 180$. You seemed like the most experienced one that has commented so do u know if it’s a ...more

It's not good. And you're a little tall for 20". And whomever is selling it for $180 must have had a knock on the head.

|

7/23/2018 9:35 PM

HavokDJ wrote:

This. If you have a budget of around $350 then you’ll have $70 to spare on better pedals, some pegs, and a gyro (this is of ...more

ryanpowell wrote:

So I found a 2014 kink curb bike forr 180$. You seemed like the most experienced one that has commented so do u know if it’s a ...more

jbales wrote:

It's not good. And you're a little tall for 20". And whomever is selling it for $180 must have had a knock on the head.

The guy said he’s 5’11 and was able to ride it perfectly. What size top tube should I get then?

|

7/23/2018 9:48 PM

ryanpowell wrote:

The guy said he’s 5’11 and was able to ride it perfectly. What size top tube should I get then?

He may well have rode it perfectly. Some people have odd preferences regarding their height vs top tube length. But for the majority of people, there's a standard. For a 5'10" beginner, I'd recommend starting with 20.75 to 21.

|

7/23/2018 10:12 PM

jbales wrote:

ryanpowell wrote:

jbales wrote:

He may well have rode it perfectly. Some people have odd preferences regarding their height vs top tube length. But for the ...more

I just found a framed impact xl that has a 21 inch top tube for 130 on thehouse.com . Is that a good bike?

|

7/23/2018 10:17 PM

ryanpowell wrote:

jbales wrote:

He may well have rode it perfectly. Some people have odd preferences regarding their height vs top tube length. But for the ...more

ryanpowell wrote:

I just found a framed impact xl that has a 21 inch top tube for 130 on thehouse.com . Is that a good bike?

It's not. Mongoose Legion L100 is good.

|

7/23/2018 10:35 PM

jbales wrote:

ryanpowell wrote:

jbales wrote:

I only could find those in size 20”

|

7/23/2018 10:58 PM

ryanpowell wrote:

jbales wrote:

ryanpowell wrote:

The top tube is 21.

|

7/24/2018 7:03 AM

HavokDJ wrote:

This. Bmx comes with the added bonus of getting pussy(cats) rather than being a pussy(cat).
EDIT:readybmxer is an exception to ...more

HAHA. Few things dry a woman up quicker than a 20" bike.

|

7/24/2018 12:28 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/24/2018 12:31 PM

Super-Pawl wrote:

Closeted scooter-kid alert.
So a glorified pogo stick with wheels on it (thanks for giving me a new name to call them by the way Rabbe)has a better chance of getting the almighty hole than a “kids” bike?
Super-pawl, how many scooters do you have?
EDIT: I just realized how closet-minded you are about bmx; there’s more sizes than 20”, what about the 29er? That gets 1.9x more pussy(cats) than the 20” at max, but it’s harder to get it because of harder maneuverability. It’s like an very ugly guy with a big willy

|

-Sheldon on Adam22

-jbales on mafiaBIKES

-adamnmexican

7/25/2018 5:25 AM

jbales wrote:

ryanpowell wrote:

jbales wrote:

The top tube is 21.

For the most part, BMX bikes are referred to as "20-inch bikes" because of their wheels size (from their beginning days when they didn't measure top tubes). Today, obviously, a "20-inch bike" has varying TT sizes. The Mongoose Legion L100 has a 21" TT.

|

7/25/2018 8:02 AM

HavokDJ wrote:

EDIT:readybmxer is an exception to ...more

Super-Pawl wrote:

HavokDJ wrote:

So a glorified pogo stick with wheels on it (thanks for giving me a new name to call them by the ...more

What?

|

7/25/2018 8:15 AM

Super-Pawl wrote:

HavokDJ wrote:

So a glorified pogo stick with wheels on it (thanks for giving me a new name to call them by the ...more

Super-Pawl wrote:

What?

I called you a scooter-boy, what’choo gonna do, what’choo Photo gonna DOOO?

|

-Sheldon on Adam22

-jbales on mafiaBIKES

-adamnmexican

7/25/2018 10:02 AM

HavokDJ wrote:

I called you a scooter-boy, what’choo gonna do, what’choo Photo gonna DOOO?

I actually can't tell if you're serious or not..lol

|