Hey Folks

Related:
Create New Tag

9/6/2016 2:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/6/2016 2:06 PM

Three things.

1. My elbow is pretty shot. Hurts to grip the bars hard (hand is fine, elbow is what hurts) and REALLY hurts to hop. Sucks.

2. I've decided I am probably going to sell my freecoaster. 10 months of riding it, and I don't 100% enjoy it.

3. I bought a house! There will be a rail edit from my street once I am moved in and my elbow isn't shot.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/6/2016 2:38 PM

Riveting stuff

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

9/6/2016 2:44 PM

That's horrible about your elbow, hope it heals up quickly.
I got a freecoaster, I don't enjoy it either haha.

Buying a house is nuts! I don't know what it's like over there, but over here it's the most grown up thing you can do. Property is expensive so unless you pay a massive deposit, you end up paying loads on the mortgage for the rest of your life. I hope it all goes well!

|

9/6/2016 3:47 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/6/2016 3:51 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

That's horrible about your elbow, hope it heals up quickly.
I got a freecoaster, I don't enjoy it either haha.

Buying a house is nuts! I don't know what it's like over there, but over here it's the most grown up thing you can do. Property is expensive so unless you pay a massive deposit, you end up paying loads on the mortgage for the rest of your life. I hope it all goes well!

Appreciate it, my elbow was fine, then suddenly there was pain, and I went and rode, then it was REALLY bad. Took a couple weeks off and it got better, then I rode again the other day, and sure enough still kinda off.

As to a house, it is a huge amount of money involved, BUT it rivals renting costs on my current apartment (I believe you GB folks call it a flat) AND I get to own it/change it/do whatever with it.

Down payments don't dent it as much as you'd think, a 100K house will end up costing closer to 165k with the interest over the life of the loan (assuming 30 years) and a few grand more on a down payment will only change the monthly payment a few bucks.

Sucks, but I want to OWN property, not pay someone so I can stay there and get nothing out of it.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/6/2016 5:50 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/6/2016 5:52 PM

Man, I remember when I shattered my elbow playing hockey....I never thought it would heal...but 2 years after, it was almost 100%, and now, 15 years after that injury (and a torn rotator cuff 5 years ago, near hip dislocation this Spring) I still hit the ice...it will get better. Sounds to me like you might have tendonitis? Like tennis elbow...Just remember to follow any physical therapy or doctors orders if you can afford that stuff. That will help!!

I remember when I first bought the house I own, it was terrifying, but so liberating at the same time. I bought in 2002, right before the housing crush and recession. Luckily in the hood I live in, property values have always held their own. I am on the other side of college now as well, so I am starting to plan some renovations. Definitely going to have a hella repair, bike stable in my new garage, and plan on putting a full sized ice rink/bmx "park" in the new backyard. Also going to do the basement up with a stage/practice area for my bands and an area for my sports card collection. All on a 10 year plan of course.

Can't wait to see pix of the new place! I agree, owning makes more fiscal sense in the end....

Congrats man.It is not that scary of you keep up on the mortgage and keep the infrastructure solid!

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

9/6/2016 7:05 PM

sXeBMXer wrote:

Man, I remember when I shattered my elbow playing hockey....I never thought it would heal...but 2 years after, it was almost 100%, and now, 15 years after that injury (and a torn rotator cuff 5 years ago, near hip dislocation this Spring) I still hit the ice...it will get better. Sounds to me like you might have tendonitis? Like tennis elbow...Just remember to follow any physical therapy or doctors orders if you can afford that stuff. That will help!!

I remember when I first bought the house I own, it was terrifying, but so liberating at the same time. I bought in 2002, right before the housing crush and recession. Luckily in the hood I live in, property values have always held their own. I am on the other side of college now as well, so I am starting to plan some renovations. Definitely going to have a hella repair, bike stable in my new garage, and plan on putting a full sized ice rink/bmx "park" in the new backyard. Also going to do the basement up with a stage/practice area for my bands and an area for my sports card collection. All on a 10 year plan of course.

Can't wait to see pix of the new place! I agree, owning makes more fiscal sense in the end....

Congrats man.It is not that scary of you keep up on the mortgage and keep the infrastructure solid!

Right on!

I already have ideas for the house and yard, we'll see if the wife approves haha!

As to my elbow, I didn't actually fall on it or anything. I recall waking up and it was bugging me some, then I went and rode and struggled to grip without pain. Super weird. Some days it barely bothers me, others I can't hardly move it.

I'm betting it is "tennis elbow" but I don't know what from, it's my left elbow, and I'm a righty w00t

But in all seriousness, even after a couple weeks off it was still rough. I guess I'll power through it for a bit and if it still bugs me, I'll go in and have it looked at AFTER moving.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/6/2016 11:14 PM

Yeah I pay £550 a month in rent on the flat I'm in right now. Over here you can't buy anything worth having for less than 200, 000 really, even then it'll be a semi detached, 3 bedroom, a one car garage and a small garden in an OK area. Nothing special. But with a 25% deposit the mortgage will be less than my rent per month, and I'll have something to leave my son. Saving 50k for the deposit isn't easy though, especially as I don't work full time as my son is still young. You can get 100% mortgages but the monthly payment will be more than I'm paying now, and I don't want to owe that much! Not for the rest of my life anyway.

Wow, we're talking like proper adults on a bmx forum haha

|

9/6/2016 11:55 PM

Damn owning a house is almost impossible here . Plus Vancouver has a 90% income on rent only , which is crazy considering it's so close .

A freecoaster is what I might get soon , but you get a lot and lose a lot with them

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

9/7/2016 6:53 AM

man...moving is the WORST part about getting a new house. I hate moving..so tedious.

Luckily my fiance approves of all of the plans...she was a professional figure skater back in the day, and we are hockey fanatics, so the ice rink was actually her idea. She still skates and teaches. In the summer I would just make some jump boxes and ramps to mess around on.

We are lucky that in the Midwest, cost of living is almost nothing. When a friend of mine was living in Lod Feliz CA, her rent for a studio apartment was $1300 a month (back in the 90's - can't imagine what it is now) and my current mortgage for a 3 bedroom house on a half acre lot is $800...in one of the best parts of C-bus. Her place was as big as my living room and dining room...

BMX ain't just for kids anymore!

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

9/7/2016 12:19 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

Damn owning a house is almost impossible here . Plus Vancouver has a 90% income on rent only , which is crazy considering it's so close .

A freecoaster is what I might get soon , but you get a lot and lose a lot with them

Pedal pressure was the biggest thing I've noticed being something I missed. Fakies are fun, but I suck super bad at cabbing anything.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/7/2016 3:44 PM

Yup. I had tennis elbow, and it sounds like that's what you are describing.

Get rubber bands and wear a few around your wrist. Anytime you think about it, put one or two around all five fingers and stretch it as many times as you can tolerate.

Get the fattest grips you can find, and put a few layers of black tape under them. FBM double fister and the old chase hawk grips ( if you can find them) work great.

Get one of these and wear it all the time. There is other stuff that works, but that's the one I used, and it was comfortable and not super ugly.

Limit the number of hops you do. Ride transition, ride trails, ride flatland, whatever floats your boat. Just take it easy on the hops for awhile.

It's brutal, and it fucking sucks, because I felt like I should be able to ride through it, but I just couldn't. I would pull up, and the front just refused to come up.

After about a month of all of the above, it finally stopped hurting, but it took me a good while to get my hops back. I actually am not sure I'm 100% back to where I was yet, but I still try not to get too crazy with hops, because I still feel like it could start hurting any day still.

|

9/8/2016 3:19 AM

I gave my freecoaster another chance today, damn I can't stand it! It seems to only engage going backwards when I'm confident it won't haha. On a plus note, I've thought of a cheap easy fix to stop my wobbly profile hubs so I'll get the cassette laced back up tonight.

Me and the wife are thinking of moving into a bigger flat or house. But it'll cost over 1000 just for the deposit and month up front. We'll get it back but that's a big chunk of our income. I actually really enjoy moving, it's a good opportunity to throw away all our old junk we keep hold of for no reason, and have a good clear out.

|

9/8/2016 4:41 PM

Damn dude I hope you heal up quick. I had a weird phantom injury like that too. One day my elbow clicked and it would hurt randomly, some days it would be fine and others I couldn't do anything with it . It healed up by itself after a few months though

|