Hi There and Seat Post Question

Related:
Create New Tag

4/16/2018 12:28 PM

Hi Vital BMX World,
Long time lurker, first time poster. Wanna start by saying hi. I've really appreciated many of the threads on here while choosing a new bike. A really good forum with knowledgeable folk.

I've just bought a BMX Cruiser,a Verde Spectrum 22. Arrives Wednesday; can't wait. My first bike in ten years (last was a 1996 Mongoose Villain 48). Anyway, as I only want to wheelie and cruise around on it and maybe do a few hops and some light duty flatlanding, certainly nothing that requires getting any major air, I want to ride it with the the seat mounted at the optimum height for pedalling. I've ordered a 550g 600mm x 25.4mm aluminium seatpost. I'm gonna hacksaw off the excess I don't need, but need to know how high I can go without either breaking the chro moly frame or the seatpost itself. My bike's got a 9.25" standover height, so I assume I'll have about 8.5" to play with, and I plan to use all of it and push the post down as far as it can go.

So, assuming I can get 8.5" of seatpost down into the seat tube, and I'm not a big guy (5'9" and 147lbs), how much seatpost could I have sticking out of the frame without risking a broken frame?
Thanks.

|

4/16/2018 12:34 PM

The amount that it says you need to have sitting into the frame. Also, where the hell do you get a 2 foot seatpost from?

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

4/16/2018 1:24 PM

There should be a "minimum insertion" mark on the post. Just make sure there's that amount if post at least inside the frame after it's cut. 4" should be enough.
Is the post compatible with the seat that comes on the bike? The seat/post on that bike is pivotal. If it's just a big standard post you'll need a railled seat and guts. If it's micro adjust, you'll need a railled seat

|

4/16/2018 1:42 PM

Thanks. Yeah, I've bought a new seat as well (railed). Gonna try and get 8.5" into seat tube. Just wondering at what height seatpost leverage becomes a problem and threatens to crack the frame.

|

4/16/2018 2:07 PM

JRR wrote:

Thanks. Yeah, I've bought a new seat as well (railed). Gonna try and get 8.5" into seat tube. Just wondering at what height ...more

Below minimum

Above maximum

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

4/16/2018 3:38 PM

You should aim for 2 inches of post below the seatclamp for proper clamping force . You can get away with an inch and a half , but that’s cutting it close .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

4/16/2018 4:44 PM

The minimum insertion mark doesn't take into account varying seat tube heights and TT/SS diameters. You want it to protrude pas the toptube/seat stay/seat tube junction

|