Hi ten frame?

Related:
Create New Tag

3/22/2019 7:58 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/22/2019 8:00 PM

How bad are hi ten frames? The bike I want has a chromo dt but hi ten everything else. People make them seem like they’ll snap off of a 3 ft drop immediately. Could it last 6-12 months until I save up enough to get a full chromo frame? Nothing crazy no massive drops or anything that’ll put intense stress on it repeatedly. Just casual hopping over things and onto things and maybe a few 2-3 ft drops. I’m pretty set on the bike so all I’m asking is how durable they actually are either from direct experience or from a friend, no recommendations for other bikes and or just repeating exaggerations or stereotypes.

|

3/22/2019 8:01 PM

Most of the pictures of bikes you see snapped are hi ten frames. They aren’t good. Especially when most frames break at the top tube or down tube I wouldn’t want either to be hi ten.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

3/22/2019 8:14 PM

They're not as bad as people would have you believe but at the same time, I'd be looking to start on a full chromo frame just because there's no real point in buying a frame only to replace it in a few months. It'll probably be cheaper, in the long run, to just start on a full chromo as it avoids the need to upgrade.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/22/2019 8:34 PM

Sunday completes are way overpriced compared to what you get from pretty much any other company in the same price range. Cheaper Sundays just seem like very highly polished turds to me. A nice looking turd is still shit. For the price you can get a lot more bike.

If you want an example of why not to ride hiten, my buddy's reconstructed face from the head tube failing on a hiten frame dropping a curb. That bike seemed to take 3 or 4 foot drops just fine, until it didn't.

It just seems like a potentially dangerous thing to cheap out on to me. I like my teeth in my mouth not on the sidewalk.

|

3/22/2019 10:11 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/22/2019 10:14 PM

Wait dude, in the other thread i linked you a really solid used custom FBM. I would ride that no problem. And the price is right. Even if its a drive from you, its worth it. Especially since its in your budget. That bike will last you very long

Edit: To answer your question. I wouldn’t consider a hi-ten bike, even for a beginner because of the danger factor. Falling on sharp steel tubing is never good. If you ride daily, the basics will only take you a month to learn before you wana start hitting obstacles. I would stay far away.

|

3/23/2019 5:02 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/23/2019 5:05 AM

XxCAKEWOLFxX wrote:

Wait dude, in the other thread i linked you a really solid used custom FBM. I would ride that no problem. And the price is right. Even if its a drive from you, its worth it. Especially since its in your budget. That bike will last you very long

Edit: To answer your question. I wouldn’t consider a hi-ten bike, even for a beginner because of the danger factor. Falling on sharp steel tubing is never good. If you ride daily, the basics will only take you a month to learn before you wana start hitting obstacles. I would stay far away.

The bike you found is a really good deal, and I know it sounds stupid but when I buy a bike I want to really like the way it looks and I really don’t like the way that bike looks. One of my biggest pet peeves if mismatched wheels, some might think it looks dope but I just hate it. And since it has really nice wheels I wouldn’t be able to pay to replace them with something of the same quality that I like. Also I’m not a big fan or orange yellow or black in general. It might be stupid reasons but if I’m gonna ride it a lot I want to really love how it looks. Last reason is it’s a 21” TT and I’m only around 5’6. That’s for finding it and I’ll think about it some more but I probably won’t get it.

|

3/23/2019 5:51 AM

Why is this even a post. If it isn't 4130 then it's garbage, period.

|

3/23/2019 5:55 AM

Landon03 wrote:

The bike you found is a really good deal, and I know it sounds stupid but when I buy a bike I want to really like the way it looks and I really don’t like the way that bike looks. One of my biggest pet peeves if mismatched wheels, some might think it looks dope but I just hate it. And since it has really nice wheels I wouldn’t be able to pay to replace them with something of the same quality that I like. Also I’m not a big fan or orange yellow or black in general. It might be stupid reasons but if I’m gonna ride it a lot I want to really love how it looks. Last reason is it’s a 21” TT and I’m only around 5’6. That’s for finding it and I’ll think about it some more but I probably won’t get it.

It's a pretty good starting point and you can paint parts and/or upgrade over time. Beggars can't be choosers...

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/23/2019 5:58 AM

Your better off with a full chromoly mongoose.

|

3/23/2019 3:30 PM

XxCAKEWOLFxX wrote:

Landon03 wrote:

I get you. The colourway is a little funky (I think its cool, but thats subjective af) I would just paint it, but if u cant be bothered and the Eastern Shovelhead, or Mongoose L100 don’t do it for you, then try a used custom on Ebay. Can also use SearchTempest.com to search all of craigslist (this is how I found thag bike) and ask people if they would be willing to ship.

Last option, though a lot more roundabout, is to flip all those really nice oldschool bmx bikes in your area. Dudes on bmxmuseum could help you lots for finding the calue of a bike before you buy/resell it. After flipping one or two you’ll be able to just order your own high end custom and pick all the parts you want in your desired colour.

Good luck!

|

3/24/2019 7:03 AM

XxCAKEWOLFxX wrote:

Landon03 wrote:

XxCAKEWOLFxX wrote:

I get you. The colourway is a little funky (I think its cool, but thats subjective af) I would just paint it, but if u cant be bothered and the Eastern Shovelhead, or Mongoose L100 don’t do it for you, then try a used custom on Ebay. Can also use SearchTempest.com to search all of craigslist (this is how I found thag bike) and ask people if they would be willing to ship.

Last option, though a lot more roundabout, is to flip all those really nice oldschool bmx bikes in your area. Dudes on bmxmuseum could help you lots for finding the calue of a bike before you buy/resell it. After flipping one or two you’ll be able to just order your own high end custom and pick all the parts you want in your desired colour.

Good luck!

Again thanks for the find on it but I think I found something I like more https://onslow.craigslist.org/bik/d/richlands-brand-new-2019-kink-downside/6838553109.html it has a full chromo frame fork and bars, double wall rims, and it’s basically new. I think I’m gonna try to get this

|

3/24/2019 7:42 AM

Landon03 wrote:

XxCAKEWOLFxX wrote:

Good luck!

Landon03 wrote:

Again thanks for the find on it but I think I found something I like more https://onslow.craigslist.org/bik/d/richlands-brand-new-2019-kink-downside/6838553109.html it has a full chromo frame fork and bars, double wall rims, and it’s basically new. I think I’m gonna try to get this

Id say go for that! Looks new as you said.

|

3/24/2019 12:16 PM

Landon03 wrote:

XxCAKEWOLFxX wrote:

Good luck!

Landon03 wrote:

Oh hell yeah! Thats perfect. More of a modern street geometry anyway, and you cant go wrong with that colourway. Also looks brand new. Good find! Be sure to search the forums for some good tips on freecoaster maintenance ?

|

3/24/2019 6:15 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

I’d rather ride a full high ten frame with geometry I like than a full 4130 frame with geometry I don’t.

|

3/24/2019 6:27 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

BillyBigRigger wrote:

I’d rather ride a full high ten frame with geometry I like than a full 4130 frame with geometry I don’t.

Good point. I would still have less trust in the frame though.

|