High end frames, E3 welding and whatnot

Related:
Create New Tag

11/23/2013 5:30 PM

Can anyone show me what companies have good welding processes?

I honestly do not know a lot about welding and would want to know what companies make super nice welds, like I hear fly and colony frames crack and break really easily, and I've even heard of some S&M frames snapping

So what would be a good QUALITY frame for example?

And the E3 process, I read a previous post made a few hours ago, and I just wanted to know what the weld is penetrating or something like that. I'm honestly unsure on this

The reason behind this post is because I do not want to dump a bunch of cash on a frame to find out it has shit welds and is one the weaker end

I know heat treating helps but I am just curious as to know what frames have good welds.

|

Welp, broke past 1000... yeeeee

My Youtube / RainBMX
My Insta / What_Is_Barspin

11/23/2013 5:48 PM

i know cult frames can crack easy, dont know it its the weld, but my friend (rides trails, street and park) and goes pretty hard cracked his in 2 weeks

he says the next one he'll get is a bonedeth, as they use hug tubing and dont compromise
supposedly they have good welds too
all i know is that you should pick something that suits your geo and the tube set's strength matches your level of riding, as in a 12 year old who barley can hop doesnt need a bonedeth, a fly wont snap on him, as his skill and weight easily match up with the strength of the frame]
hope this helps
honestly, i reccomend an s&m sabbath, only like 2 have ever broken
downside? its a decade old, and weighs like 10 pounds

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

11/23/2013 5:50 PM

but honestly, look at how hard the company's team rides to see how strong their frames are
fly has pretty flowy and smooth dudes, and colony is pretty much all park
bonedeth's team is fuckin insane, so yeah

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

11/23/2013 6:08 PM

i mean, im not the best rider, i weigh almost 200 pounds (not fat), i am still trying to RE dial in my 360's, but I land pretty clean, what about a wtp frame, like the wtp clash?

|

Welp, broke past 1000... yeeeee

My Youtube / RainBMX
My Insta / What_Is_Barspin

11/23/2013 6:37 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/24/2013 8:52 AM

idk, i think wtp frames are on the weak side, but its your choice, and again, i dont know how hard you ride
but honestly, id get the strongest you can, better be safe than sorry when it comes to a 3-400 part that might not be warrantiable
edit: i heard a few guys on here talk about how the wtp frames that are partly investment cast have a tendency to snap
not personal experience, please excuse my inaccuracy

|

11/23/2013 6:51 PM

Here's the thing about asking about what's good/legit on the internet. You're going to get a random person tell you about someone they know that snapped/bent/dented/etc a frame/part and either will, intentionally or not, make it seem as if all the products from that brand are bad.

|

11/23/2013 6:59 PM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

idk, i think wtp frames are on the weak side, but its your choice, and again, i dont know how hard you ride
but honestly, id get the strongest you can, better be safe than sorry when it comes to a 3-400 part that might not be warrantiable
edit: i heard a few guys on here talk about how the wtp frames that are partly investment cast have a tendency to snap

The frame in this is a wtp irish i believe. it did not snap.
|

Latest edit (Check it out) | Anything With Two Wheels Goes!!
"Fuck it and Huck it" -Tomdon

[LINK TO IMAGE]

11/23/2013 7:10 PM

Most companies with parts made in america have good welding processes eg. s&m and i think fbm is aswell.

Honestly, all frames will snap eventually.

Honestly, from skimming through that welding process it just seemed like a good weld, nothing special, but they didnt give much away.

When they talk about penetrating they mean how much/deep the metal is fused, You can have a cold weld, which hardly fuses the surface let alone deeper parts, this is no good. you can also have a hot weld, which goes right through and blows a hole straight through the tube. this is also bad. The best type of weld is when the metal is well "penetrated", reasonably hot weld, it should be near flush with the metal and a nice consistent bead.

At the end of the day, most frames will be good, s&m, BSD, fit wtp, fiend, fly, fbm, Mutiny, you get the idea

|

Latest edit (Check it out) | Anything With Two Wheels Goes!!
"Fuck it and Huck it" -Tomdon

[LINK TO IMAGE]

11/23/2013 8:54 PM

Wethepeople frames are on the weak side? You are laughable, steve.

James, I wouldn't listen to that guy at all.

|

11/24/2013 2:33 AM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

The wtp scorpio frame looks badass.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

11/24/2013 6:46 AM

Just throwing this out there, S&M is among the best companies out there for quality.

ALL FRAMES CAN BREAK, regardless of who makes them.

I understand your thoughts, BUT keep in mind that it doesn't matter what company it is, if you are abusing it (which most BMXers are) it can break.

That being said, my Federal Lacey has handled me being as heavy as 254 lbs without trouble. BUT keep in mind working and a Fiance' have come into play, so I don't ride as much as I used to.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

11/24/2013 11:53 AM

Fiend , Federal , S&M , or Fit is what I'd go with. Both teams kill it and they'll last for you.

Realistically , do you really need the highest end frame you can get when you're still doing 360's? Ride what you got. Obviously there will be stronger frames but get what you want ; it will last. Eventually like every bike part , it will break. So just get another one. Choose a frame YOU want and what YOU want to ride. Any modern frame will not snap on you. Pro's abuse them in different ways , so just make sure you get what you ride (Street , park , etc. The frame will last longer if you ride what it was designed for.)

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

11/24/2013 12:35 PM

If you want a guarantee on a good weld, the Eastern frames are ideal! Other frames can have a good weld, others cant. If i were you id look into getting an Eastern. Those things are looking mighty fine. They changed their manufacturer for better quality! Which is really good. This company they use isnt really used by anyone that isnt either part of eastern from what i can tell, so go ahead and get one. Im sure itll last you.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

11/24/2013 2:44 PM

The problem i have with this "e3 system" is that they are portraying it as a new thing, bike frames, not just bmx, have prepared their tubes properly for a very very long time.

TL:DR, shouldnt really try and pass off actually deciding now to properly prep the tubes as a new thing.

|