Hitch Bike Rack or Roof Bike Rack

Related:
Create New Tag

6/18/2012 11:36 AM

Which one is better? And does any of you guys tried shopping in this site? I need to install one on my sedan, My kids don't want to leave their bikes at home. Thanks guys, I really appreciate it!
http://www.onsaleramps.com/bike-rack/

|

6/18/2012 11:42 AM

hitch...

|

MY SEXY BIKE CHECK!

sunny.jomofo, even more of a bitch than Dane wild!

if you need to talk to me text me 1-734-301-6545



on the legit list

35+ clean refs

6/18/2012 11:51 AM

hitch for sure

|

refs- Tommyboy,mandingo215, lobo173, prophet,iridebmxeveryday,ctbmx86,1of1547,Warchol2,white knight,branBMX94,JakeSalbert

Subscribe to me on Youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/user/senika5634?feature=mhee

6/18/2012 1:16 PM

I prefer roof

|

/ / /M POWER (OO=[][]=OO) /O==[][]==O\

6/18/2012 1:31 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/18/2012 1:32 PM

If you can use a hitch, its easier and you can generally fit more bikes on one. Probably better gas mileage too.

i havent used that site before but im sure if you google them you can find some reviews.

|

6/18/2012 1:38 PM

If you're actually hooking the rack to a hitch, go with that. If not, roof or trunk. Go here and click Fit My Car.
http://www.yakima.com/

|

8/13/2012 7:21 PM

|

8/14/2012 6:56 PM

hitch, i have a roof rack and it brings my 40mpg car down to a 33 or less mpg car.

|

6/23/2015 6:59 AM

Sorry for the bump of an older post, but I am in a search of a bike rack for my 12' Civic sedan. Looks like it's possible to get a hitch mount bike rack for it, so I just wanted to see if it's worth that? or shall I just go on with a roof rack mount.

|

6/23/2015 7:11 AM

MattNismo wrote:

Sorry for the bump of an older post, but I am in a search of a bike rack for my 12' Civic sedan. Looks like it's possible to get a hitch mount bike rack for it, so I just wanted to see if it's worth that? or shall I just go on with a roof rack mount.

Hitch much better

|

You say BMX is your life but you barely ride.
BUT hey, That's none of my business.

6/23/2015 7:27 AM

Hitch is better because you dont have to worry about smoking a garage roof with a bike, and you gett somewhat better mileage. Downside is crap you run over can hit your bike (puddles, mud, road debris) and if someone rear ends you, they smoke the bikes.

Also keep in mind, some hitch racks use a 2 inch receiver and some 1 1/4. The amount of bikes can be a factor as well.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

6/23/2015 8:32 AM

Hitch forsure less air resistance

|

6/23/2015 2:21 PM

MattNismo wrote:

Sorry for the bump of an older post, but I am in a search of a bike rack for my 12' Civic sedan. Looks like it's possible to get a hitch mount bike rack for it, so I just wanted to see if it's worth that? or shall I just go on with a roof rack mount.

As said above, roof racks with bikes on them lower your mpg which means more money for gas... On top of that, roof racks are already quite expensive for good ones specifically to fit your car, and not some cheap ass one from Wal-Mart, and you have to be weary of going through places with low roofs or under low bridges. Meaning if you ever went somewhere to ride with your friends and had to park in a parking garage or something, you might not be able to even fit in there.

They do look cool though, but hitch or even trunk mount ones are much more ideal. Personally I'd just go with the hitch.

|

6/23/2015 4:11 PM

The only thing about a hitch rack on a Civic is that it will likely rub the ground when you are coming off any type of steep-ish incline.

|

Chris

www.bmxtransition.com
Canadian BMX Mailorder
Instagram: @transitionbmx

6/24/2015 8:23 AM

Hey thanks for your help guys! Roof racks are nicer to me, but looks like hitch mount racks are much more convenient.

Wouldn't a hitch rack be a little weird for a Civic?

btw, I found one that should not rub the ground http://www.carid.com/thule/thule-vertex-hitch-bike-rack-1682953.html

Oh yeah, my Civic is not lowered.

|

6/24/2015 9:48 AM

If it's for a BMX bike then get a roof rack, don't get a hitch rack because they scrape over everything. I had a Civic with a trunk rack and roof rack, they both worked great and i didn't have to worry about scraping. The hitch rack will cost you $200+ if you get a shitty ebay hitch carrier and shitty hitch rack, it'll be $400+ to get a good set. If you wanna get a decent roof rack you're looking at the same price but you can do a $75 set of universal bars with a Thule bike carrier set which will cost you $200. For $275 you'll get a much better setup than any hitch carrier.

|

6/26/2015 1:58 AM

thanks, that's actually more than reasonable. Will look into it and let you know what I'm getting

|

6/26/2015 5:26 AM

truck- wooden box with slots for wheels- and a ratchet strap?

or hitch

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
DK, Odyssey, Profile, Shadow.
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

6/26/2015 7:57 AM



A guy I know in Minneapolis had like 3-4 of these just bolted on to the back of an old car he owned. The picture circulates around on FB and other social Media periodically. That's a route to take if you have a beater car or don't care what happens to it.
|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/3/2015 5:36 AM

Thank you all for suggestions again! I actually went with a Trunk mount rack by thule. I've ordered it online at CARiD. Thanks sundaybmxRR for the idea because I didn't even know about trunk mount racks. They seem to be perfect for such cars as Civic. You don't have to load a bike on the roof, it gives better air dynamics (I assume), doesn't affect the clearance and looks pretty natural.

|

7/3/2015 5:37 AM

|

7/3/2015 7:44 PM

MattNismo wrote:

Thank you all for suggestions again! I actually went with a Trunk mount rack by thule. I've ordered it online at CARiD. Thanks sundaybmxRR for the idea because I didn't even know about trunk mount racks. They seem to be perfect for such cars as Civic. You don't have to load a bike on the roof, it gives better air dynamics (I assume), doesn't affect the clearance and looks pretty natural.

Good stuff haha. I keep mine on the car all the time cause I never know when I'll need it, so what I did to prevent it from being stolen is I took an old bike lock and wrapped it around the bike rack and spoiler so no one can just come up and take it off at anytime.

If you have a spoiler and plan to keep the rack on all the time, that might be a good idea.

|

4/18/2017 8:38 PM

bumping an old thread because I have a related question. The thing is, I'm unsure of what truck accessories to buy. I found truck bed mount and hitch rack. Which is better? Would appreciate it if you have any recommendations on what carrier or rack to choose which I can use in transporting my bike onto the truck?

|

4/19/2017 11:12 AM




This is the car I mentioned like 2 years ago.
|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/19/2017 12:31 PM

dave lawrence wrote:


This is the car I mentioned like 2 years ago.

I want—nay, need—this car in my life.

|

4/19/2017 8:30 PM

Depends on how far you are going. I have a roof rack, but when I travel I use a hitch rack. So roof is good till past 45min drive, then hitch.

|

4/20/2017 6:19 PM

iampeter14344 wrote:

Which one is better? And does any of you guys tried shopping in this site? I need to install one on my sedan, My kids don't want to leave their bikes at home. Thanks guys, I really appreciate it!
http://www.onsaleramps.com/bike-rack/

Hitch for sure! Just easier to deal with and cheaper. We stock a few.

http://www.albes.com/misc-stuffs/auto-bike-racks/

|