Hitting chainstays on kinked rail

Related:
Create New Tag

6/5/2021 4:39 PM

So I've been riding a really long time 27 years been out of the handrail game a while 10 years or so the other day my buddies convinced me to hit a kinked rail that took several tries and I noticed I was hitting my chain stay slightly at the kink is this normal I haven't really heard people talk about it.

|

I believe in hub guard protection

6/5/2021 7:04 PM

Yea it happens if you don’t hop over the kink while grinding. If you just roll right down it you’ll likely hit BB(or sprocket, depends on side) and chainstay

|

Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen

6/5/2021 10:34 PM

Just tooth hang it, simple solution ☺️

|

6/6/2021 7:03 AM

.pegless. wrote:

Just tooth hang it, simple solution

Hahaha my dentist will love the idea after I go otb lol.

|

6/6/2021 9:23 AM

threesomemist wrote:

So I've been riding a really long time 27 years been out of the handrail game a while 10 years or so the other day my buddies ...more

It is a thing. Most of us aren't grinding Kinked rails tho so its not as a common a problem.
The WTP Doomsayer and Network frames both come with Higher BBs specifically for grind clearance (11.88 and 11.9) so maybe those would help if you plan to do rail stuff more.

|

6/6/2021 11:14 AM

Yeah there’s probably like 3 people on this forum who have grinded a kinked rail lol

|

6/6/2021 11:50 AM

You just have to push through the kinks. It’s inevitable . If you don’t think about it , it usually works out 🤞😂

|

6/6/2021 12:06 PM

It’s normal, I was afraid of the same thing before I hit my first

also fun fact your back peg will usually lift off of the rail too when that happens

|

6/7/2021 4:57 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

also fun fact your back peg will usually lift off of the ...more

So your bike is TRYING to tooth the last part...interesting.

I did a little kinked rail at a skatepark a bunch a few years back-I don't recall it popping me up or anything. Guessing I didn't notice or it was shallow enough. I think I would almost hop over it in a way.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

6/7/2021 9:14 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

I did a little kinked rail at a skatepark a bunch a few years ...more

It depends how the kink is I guess, and most people wouldn’t really notice it but when I’m stoked on something I did I always play the video back a bunch of times and notice things like that haha. Here’s a perfect example, it’s only brief and I didn’t even notice it during the grind

Photo

|

6/7/2021 1:39 PM

^^^That looks like a great kinked rail! We only have one nearby my town that is low but very steep and probably fast. I would love to live in a town with a mellow kinked rail like the one Augie is hitting. I think it’s in Oklahoma? Photo

|

My mom thinks I’m special

6/7/2021 2:06 PM

cky199 wrote:

Yeah there’s probably like 3 people on this forum who have grinded a kinked rail lol

That's an overestimation if I've ever seen one.

|

6/7/2021 2:07 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/7/2021 2:13 PM

cky199 wrote:

I ripped my butthole open for the SECOND time on a nice kinker.

I have done a lot of handrails but i swear EVERY ONE was a full huck. if i rode away i was always stoked but I pretty much expected to eat shit every time.

|

6/7/2021 2:13 PM

cky199 wrote:

pnj wrote:

I ripped my butthole open for the SECOND time on a nice kinker.

I have done a lot of handrails but i swear EVERY ONE was a ...more

That's rough man, balls.

|

6/9/2021 5:46 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

also fun fact your back peg will usually lift off of the ...more

dave lawrence wrote:

I did a little kinked rail at a skatepark a bunch a few years ...more

sundaybmxRR wrote:

It depends how the kink is I guess, and most people wouldn’t really notice it but when I’m stoked on something I did I always ...more

This is more then likely what happend when I did it.

|

6/9/2021 11:51 AM

Found some clips of me on youtube. Super shitty footage because I used my phone to film the computer screen.. lol

Mid 90's sometime, I think. Holy fucking seat posts...

|