Hollow Bolts for Runing Front Brakes

Related:
Create New Tag

11/24/2020 7:00 PM

I want to run some front brakes down the steerer tube, but I'm not sure what kind of hollow bolt I need to do this.
I have an Odyssey stem/headset.

I would prefer to just get a simple 1 1/8" hollow bolt rather than buy a whole preload bolt.

Can anyone tell what kind of hollow bolt I would need for this?

Thank you

**Here's a photo of what I have now :

Photo

|

11/24/2020 7:28 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/24/2020 7:29 PM

That won’t work as far as I know, the star nut inside your steerer tube takes a bolt that is too small to replace with a hollow one (a hollow one with internal diameter large enough to fit a cable through that is)

You could replace the star nut AND bolt with one with a hollow bolt though Photo

|

-- doing business like its a business since 1985 --

"*a08 is awesome" -Penman166

a08's Ohio Standard - STOLEN - REWARD IF FOUND

WTB: Chrome GSport Birdcage Rims

11/24/2020 7:30 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/24/2020 7:31 PM

Not possible to run the cable through the steerer as this cap/style won't allow it but with modification you might be able to do it depending on if the wedge pieces are large anough to run a cable through then all you'd need to do is drill a 6-6.5mm hole side of the center bolt.

|

11/24/2020 8:55 PM

Thanks to both of you for the help with this.

Do you know if this would work with what I have?

https://shop.odysseybmx.com/products/pre-load-bolt

I may just go ahead and order a preload bolt if that would be the easiest solution.

Thanks again.

Photo

|

11/24/2020 10:49 PM

your fork is not threaded inside so that cap from Odyssey won't work. Take off the top cap and you will see what is called a 'Star Nut'. it's pressed into the steer tube.

The first thing posted by A08 is the only option you have.

But if It was mine, I'd remove the existing top cap and see if you can fit a brake cable through the star nut flanges. If you can, then drill a hole into the top cap and shove a cable down it.

Does your fork have a hole to allow you to fit front brakes on? I'm assuming you're going with side pull rim brakes? I'd make sure they'll fit on your fork first...

|

11/25/2020 4:53 AM

pnj wrote:

your fork is not threaded inside so that cap from Odyssey won't work. Take off the top cap and you will see what is called a 'Star Nut'. it's pressed into the steer tube.

The first thing posted by A08 is the only option you have.

But if It was mine, I'd remove the existing top cap and see if you can fit a brake cable through the star nut flanges. If you can, then drill a hole into the top cap and shove a cable down it.

Does your fork have a hole to allow you to fit front brakes on? I'm assuming you're going with side pull rim brakes? I'd make sure they'll fit on your fork first...

This.

Or just get an Odyssey F25 fork. Then you can run 990s, and it is designed for a front brake to run through it.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

11/25/2020 9:28 AM

Thanks a lot for explaining all this to me.

Ya'll saved me from wasting money. I was about to start ordering what I *thought* I needed, but I decided to post here first and get some opinions. I would have ended up with parts I couldn't use.

I may try getting what A08 posted first. Since it's from Amazon, it looks like I can return it if it doesn't work out.

Thanks again!

|