Hollow Chromoly

Related:
Create New Tag

11/18/2015 7:04 PM

Is 14mm hollow chromoly stronger or weaker then 14mm solid chromoly?

|

11/18/2015 7:11 PM

I believe it is less likely to bend, but if it is too hollow, it can be easy to break.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

11/18/2015 7:32 PM

The way it was explained to me once before is it's less prone to bending but more prone to just straight snapping, especially if it's too hollow. Idk how true that is though.

A 14mm hollow axle will be fine unless it's mega hollow (4-5mm is okay) but a solid one will also be fine.

|

11/18/2015 8:10 PM

Seems like logic to me that solid chromoly would be stronger than hollow across the board, and that the only benefit would be weight savings, but so far I'm the only one who thinks that...

|

11/18/2015 11:13 PM

Yes, it's common sense that solid axles would definitely be stronger than anything hollow, assuming we're comparing the axles of the same material. Shadow Raptor hubs used to have hollow hub axles with 8mm allen key slots, and then more newer hubs starting going from having 6mm allen key slots in the hollow axles, to having 8mm allen key slots in order to save weight. I guess Shadow at some point had people constantly bending the axle, so the newer Shadow Raptor hub went to having the newer axle hollow with a 6mm allen key slot. TREMENDOUSLY helped people not bend the axle more often. But yeah, the only downside to having a completely solid axle with no allen key slots is that when you need to open up the hub for maintenance, you have to tighten one side of the wheel outside of your frame or fork and then work from there. More of a hassle, but it's well worth the long-lasting strength and durability.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

11/19/2015 12:19 AM

With the 14 mm format, I guess you are speaking of axles.
Just know one thing, a hollow tube is always more resistant than a full tube (to avoid denting after impact).
And more you go for a larger diameter, more the tube can be thin and still as strong (until a certain limit).
Just look at how the crank axle evolves, from 19mm with a thin hole to 22 and now 24 mm with a superhollow axle.
Or the axles on front wheels, the 3/8" female is become the standard over the full 10 mm axle who bends at the first violent smith (and also often bend the fork dropout).

|

11/20/2015 7:58 AM

as far as structure goes a hollow design its far more reliable due to de stress being spread troughout the whole axle instead of just one point like on the solid axles

|

11/20/2015 8:37 AM

It depends. But hollow will almost always have the better strength/weight ratio. If it's an axle, hollow will be fine.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

11/20/2015 8:49 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/20/2015 8:51 AM

xXZ4KOXx wrote:

Seems like logic to me that solid chromoly would be stronger than hollow across the board, and that the only benefit would be ...more

I'm with you, but have no empirical data to back that up. I prefer to look at it this way, what's more painful, bending an axle or snapping one? I would seem to think snapping an axle would be a real disaster, while bending one you might still be able to ride away from.

I noticed hollow allen bolts for stems too. It all makes me nervous.

|

11/20/2015 9:56 AM

xXZ4KOXx wrote:

Seems like logic to me that solid chromoly would be stronger than hollow across the board, and that the only benefit would be ...more

johnduff86 wrote:

I'm with you, but have no empirical data to back that up. I prefer to look at it this way, what's more painful, bending an ...more

Yeah I feel ya, it doesn't concern me in regards to all the hollow stuff tho I only weigh about 150lbs and would really appreciate a light bike. I did bend a solid spindle once tho along with some steel bars that were on an eastern. I was hitting a hip at a skatepark and the whole thing had a funny lip to it for the skateboards, I think I caught it at a bad angle with my front wheel when I landed. Any ways I went face first and the bike came down on top of me really, the bars had a nice little crook to them and my crank arm was pretty far off too. This was after about two years of hard riding and lots of rain so I'm not really complaining.

|

11/20/2015 2:39 PM

isnowyaznV2 wrote:

Yes, it's common sense that solid axles would definitely be stronger than anything hollow, assuming we're comparing the axles ...more

Nope.

Tubes are more resistant to bending that solid structures. Also lighter.

As to the allen slots, in "solid" axles, the 1/4 inch of "hollow" for the allen wouldn't really cause that much of an issue. It was likely also to make the hubs cheaper to produce. Less machining = less money to make typically.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura