Hollow Stem Bolts?

Related:
Create New Tag

11/23/2013 6:02 PM

How strong are hollow stem bolts? I'm wondering how strong they are because I just stripped my stem bolts on my Schwinn.

|

11/23/2013 8:18 PM

I don't think it matters tbh. Aslong as it has good threads. Its not like an axle bolt or anything that takes a lot of beating. Aslong as it isn't too thin to where it will crumble apart and its not made out of a weak material like aluminum.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

11/23/2013 8:22 PM

Hollow bolts fucking suck.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

11/23/2013 8:33 PM

You get people who hate them and say they snap. Alot of stems come with regular bolts now because people don't like hollow.

Personally , it's stupid. The bolt literally takes little , if not any , constant stress. The hollow saves a minimum amount of weight , but it still is something. Plus regular bolts will feel alot heavier on your front end of your bike.

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

11/23/2013 8:34 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

You get people who hate them and say they snap. Alot of stems come with regular bolts now because people don't like hollow.

Personally , it's stupid. The bolt literally takes little , if not any , constant stress. The hollow saves a minimum amount of weight , but it still is something. Plus regular bolts will feel alot heavier on your front end of your bike.

You're never, ever going to notice a difference between hollow and solid stem bolts. The only thing you'll notice is the bolts breaking in half much more often.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

11/23/2013 8:55 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/23/2013 8:57 PM

I've always wondered the same question, but I gotta agree with hardbmx and brayden. I've been using my cult stem with hollow bolts for about 3 and a half years now and always been sketched out about them snapping but they've held up fine. From a road bike background, i know people tend to overtorque their bolts and i feel like bmx might be some of the worst. even i tighten them pretty damn hard but bolts otherwise dont get much stress. I think the hollow bolts breaking isn't a result from riding but just the stress of overtightening over time. but yeah hollow bolts are definitely stupid

edit: i guess everyones actually just saying the same thing BUT in my opinion they break that often. I know plenty of people with them

|

11/23/2013 9:10 PM

The weight difference would be less than having a dollar in change in your pocket.

I would just go with regular bolts because they're cheaper and I'd rather have a solid bolt.

|

11/23/2013 9:55 PM

They're just as strong i had the shadow hollow bolts for a while and they never gave me any trouble

|

Murica bike check
REFS four, tomdon, bmx1995, jared42069, obiwan chromoly, hate breeder, nshs2010, asilva23, rascio,
Alfred NYC, Kymike, chuck8273(kind of), tc86, Ugot2dewitt, LLURider, dprc, ecuadevil, scramhype, Mario.villegas90(X2), dirtstars22, Brian_Griffin

11/23/2013 10:27 PM

I only changed to Shadow ones but I have good-conditioned regular bolts too. I just have to run the Shadows cause I spent money..

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

11/24/2013 12:49 AM

So how much weight would you save for using hollow stem bolts?

|

You say BMX is your life but you barely ride.
BUT hey, That's none of my business.

11/24/2013 1:21 AM

neophyte16 wrote:

So how much weight would you save for using hollow stem bolts?

Not enough for it to be noticeable.

|

11/24/2013 5:31 AM

BMX_Forever wrote:

Not enough for it to be noticeable.

That's what i thought. If hollow and non hollow are just the same in terms of strength I'll buy the non hollow ones since they are cheaper.

|

You say BMX is your life but you barely ride.
BUT hey, That's none of my business.